+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP: Questions about years of education

sa_naveed

Feb 26, 2009
Hello guys,

Need some help about counting total years of education?

- In our country, the standard years of study for Computer Science Bachelors degree are 4 but I actually took 5 years to finish it. My question is, while counting total years of education, which number should I consider; 4 or 5?

- Before enrolling in the above bachelor degree program, I was enrolled in another degree program. I studied in this former program for two full years as full time student but then I dropped out and didn't get any degree or certificate. Later I joined above program and earned Computer Science degree.

The question here is should I count these two years that I spent in the earlier program towards my total years of education. If I count them, the important point is, I don't have any certificate or document to prove that I studied during this period. On the other hand, if I don't count it, then what should I mention in immigration forms that what did I do during these two years.

- The IMM 0008 form contains 3 boxes for education; primary/elementary, Secondary/High and University/ College. My question is about how to accommodate my education, details below, in these boxes:

Primary: 5 years
High School: 5 years - got secondary school certificate
College: 2 years - got FSC/Intermediate certificate
College: 2 years full time Bachelors, but then dropped out and has no degree/certificate
University: 5 years study - got Computer Science degree

Thanks,

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
College: 2 years full time Bachelors, but then dropped out and has no degree/certificate

This is what I would do...
Total Number of Years = 17....
Highest level of education = Bachelor

This is solely my opinion and I am not expert/lawyer/immigration consultant

sa_naveed

Feb 26, 2009
thanks much. that's what I think I should do..

shouldn't I write following:

Total number of years: 16...

..as standard bachelors is 4 years.. it's just me who took 1 year extra.. ?

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sa_naveed said:

Thanks,
I would write 16 years unless your master's degree's normal length is 5 years.

Check this link where I tried to find the answer to very similar problem a while ago.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t12041.0.html

Primary/Elementary = 5 years
Highschool/Secondary = 7 years
College = 4 years (normal time needed to complete)

Total = 16 years.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
I concur with nix1... if you took 1 extra year you should write 16 instead

sdesh005

Star Member
Feb 20, 2009
Anyone who went to school in India (or other places with similar edu structure), can you please help me distinguish between

a) Elementary/Primary School - how many years/grades?
b) Secondary/High School - how many years/grades?

These two need to total to 12 years...how do i do that?

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sdesh005 said:
Anyone who went to school in India (or other places with similar edu structure), can you please help me distinguish between

a) 5 years
b) 7 years (6 to 10th grade = 5 years and I.Sc. = 2 years which is highschool in the US and Canada = 11 and 12th grades)

Total: 12 years.

AbuMalik

Star Member
Dec 11, 2008
Well,

In Most cases schools in INDIA consider 1-7 as Primary and Secondary starts from 8th standard.

So, I guess - it can also be

1. 7 yrs (Primary School)
2. 5 yrs (Secondary - 8,9,10 and + 2 yrs for pre-university)

nix1 said:
sdesh005 said:

a) 5 years
b) 7 years (6 to 10th grade = 5 years and I.Sc. = 2 years which is highschool in the US and Canada = 11 and 12th grades)

Total: 12 years.

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_India#Overview. Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Even though I am not from India, but I went to a school that had the same educational system and I wrote 5 years for elementary and 7 years for highschool and I have already got my nomination. And the above link supports my claim.

But you may want to go with what AbuMalik said as he may be from India and he knows what he is talking about.

sdesh005

Star Member
Feb 20, 2009
nix1 said:
Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_India#Overview. Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Even though I am not from India, but I went to a school that had the same educational system and I wrote 5 years for elementary and 7 years for highschool and I have already got my nomination. And the above link supports my claim.

But you may want to go with what AbuMalik said as he may be from India and he knows what he is talking about.
That made total sense! Thanks for the help, Nix!

bhathal

Star Member
Feb 19, 2009
u can count 5 year for ur bachelors degree as i completed my degree in 4 years insted of 3.
and remaing two year u may consider as gap year or show some training work.. like dat.