+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Age gap, spouse sponsorship

Maingoc0710

Feb 25, 2023
Hi everyone, i and my soon wife will do the spouse sponsorship in next month.
Talking about my case, i’m 28 years old, my wife is 42 with two kids. She’s Canadian citizenship, she was sponsored by her ex husband. They divorced 7 years ago and she doesn’t receive any money from him beside child support. I’m on worker visa (PGWP). But my WP will expire soon, and i will have to switch to visitor visa to maintain my status.
We’re both asian, Vietnamese specifically. We have been together since 2021.
I heard a lot of people said age gap might be a red flag. And in my case, my WP is expiring.
Would it be double red flag???
I know everything about my wife, so does she. I love her kids as well. lucky for me, they respect and cheat me with manner. My family know her as well. We video called my mom and my cousins back in Vietnam.
In canada, i have some relatives(my aunt and her uncle, two cousins), but unfortunately my aunt and her husband with her daughter needed to come back vietnam for personal business.
We’re doing small wedding ceremony with some of my friends and another cousin; about 10 people included us and the kids. Is this considered as solid proof. They’re all close to me.
Please give me some advices, if you guys know who got over in such a situation like this.
Thank you so much

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Talking about my case, i’m 28 years old, my wife is 42 with two kids. She’s Canadian citizenship, she was sponsored by her ex husband. They divorced 7 years ago and she doesn’t receive any money from him beside child support. I’m on worker visa (PGWP). But my WP will expire soon, and i will have to switch to visitor visa to maintain my status.
I heard a lot of people said age gap might be a red flag. And in my case, my WP is expiring.
I know everything about my wife, so does she. I love her kids as well. lucky for me, they respect and cheat me with manner. My family know her as well. We video called my mom and my cousins back in Vietnam.
In canada, i have some relatives(my aunt and her uncle, two cousins), but unfortunately my aunt and her husband with her daughter needed to come back vietnam for personal business.
We’re doing small wedding ceremony with some of my friends and another cousin; about 10 people included us and the kids. Is this considered as solid proof. They’re all close to me.
Please give me some advices, if you guys know who got over in such a situation like this.
Thank you so much
Yes there is a high chance your application may get flagged out of concern but that doesn’t mean you will get denied. Do you qualify to apply for PR on your own? Are you planning on getting married right before or after your WP expires? Have you lived together? If so for how long?

Maingoc0710

Feb 25, 2023
Yes there is a high chance your application may get flagged out of concern but that doesn’t mean you will get denied. Do you qualify to apply for PR on your own? Are you planning on getting married right before or after your WP expires? Have you lived together? If so for how long?
My Crs score is short of 20-30 points. I’m doing my wedding before my WP expires. I have lived with her from mid 2021 till now, but not officially on paper. I usually come to her place everyday.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thank you so much
Age gap shouldn't be a problem, many on here with a lot larger, in my case 27 yrs.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Well, we had similar age gap except that we met a few years earlier in our lives than yours (I was in my thirties and we do not have kids). We did have a long dating history and many many photos, trips and outing with friends...etc here. (back then there was no limit of number of photo submitted. But we did not send them excessive photos. prob 30 or so) We had our smallist wedding (noon time wedding with light snack served at a free venue) with friends and a few of my family there.

We also went back to our home town and had a small wedding banquet with his side of the family. Before we applied for sponsorship.

Our application went pretty smooth. (if there was a red flag with the age gap, we had enough proof and history for IRCC to not call for an interview)
So they may look at your application closer but it's not impossible to be approved with or without an interview.

We are still happily married. :)

Reactions: Maingoc0710