+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Age Difference/Underage

NinaInOT

May 20, 2016
Hello everyone. I've posted a few times on this site today because I'm not in the process of gathering all information for my Canadian common law partner to sponsor me and had a few questions/concerns.

1.) Is an age difference a red flag? My partner and I have a massive age difference (25 years) he is older than me. I'm really hoping the fact that I come from a pretty decent part of the world (Oregon) helps.
How should I go about this in order to prove our relationship is in fact genuine? We have ample proof - but I'm worried they'll think I'm too young to be with someone his age.

2.) My partner and I met online when I was 17. We didn't meet in person until I was 18. Should I omit that part? would CIC think my partner isn't suitable to be a sponsor because of this? He wasn't online prowling for young girls - it just happened.

Any advice and tips are very much welcomed.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Since you're American this won't be much of a red flag. However, I don't think you need to outright say you met when you were 17. Just say something like "met in 20xx online" or something of that nature, they can do the math. FTR my husband was 18 when he came to Canada to meet me.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Aquakitty said:
Since you're American this won't be much of a red flag. However, I don't think you need to outright say you met when you were 17. Just say something like "met in 20xx online" or something of that nature, they can do the math. FTR my husband was 18 when he came to Canada to meet me.
Agreed. And saying that they met at a different date instead of when they actually met wouldn't be fully telling the truth and could possibly end up getting them in trouble for misrepresentation.

The first time I came to visit my husband I was 18 and we have a 10 year age difference. I'm from the US. It's not really something we even thing about much because our friends and family have been supportive. I didn't mention my age specifically in my application, but I told the truth about what date we met and what date we started dating, etc. They can do the math and figure it out themselves. My husband and I have the same level of education and both work in retail. We're on the same page in life so to speak, so again, it's not something we think about much.

If the 25 year age difference does raise red flags, they won't be very bad and you should be fine as long as you have strong proof of relationship.