+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After getting new SIN number!!!!

babebabe

Jun 20, 2014
DO we need to inform previous employer after we getting new SIN???
If the company use the old sin number start with 9 to report to CRA, will it work or showing a error????
anyone has experience with it plz share!!!!
Thanks a lot

taurus1985

Mar 10, 2014
babebabe said:
If the company use the old sin number start with 9 to report to CRA, will it work or showing a error????
Thanks a lot
I dont know if it will show a error but u need to inform ur banker, ur employer may be call CRA also

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
babebabe said:
Thanks a lot
Upon getting my new SIN a couple of years back, I asked the personnel at Service Canada how the information (i.e. taxes/deductions etc.) will be synced between the new and the temp SINs. I was advised the new SIN number will replace the old, but Service Canada will link the two together (the temp one starting with 9 and the new one), such that taxes/deductions reported under the old SIN will show up using the new SIN going forward.

.../atb

babebabe

Jun 20, 2014
so we can't use the old sin anymore????
even if the company use it to report to CRA, cra can't recognize it ?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
babebabe said:
so we can't use the old sin anymore????
even if the company use it to report to CRA, cra can't recognize it ?
If you have a new SIN, You - yourself - cannot use the old SIN anymore. It has been replaced by the new SIN.

The company (or as you mentioned your previous employer) may still report to CRA using your old SIN but the old SIN and new SIN are linked - this will be done by Service Canada. Your new SIN will now be reflected in your records. Anything reported under the old temp SIN will come up on the new one. You will need to inform your new/current employer (if you have one) of your new SIN. On the next filing of tax return, you will be filing using the new SIN.

Do you have a new SIN?

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
I got my new SIN last Monday. CRA told me that Service Canada would notify them of my new number and I did not need to contact CRA myself about this.
CRA also mentioned that I don't need to contact old employers with the new SIN number since the old SIN number was active when I worked for them.
The old employer will reported my old income with the old number and CRA will then know that the reported income applied during the validity of the old number.

I notified my employer of my new SIN who then notified Provincial health services of the new SIN.