+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After becoming a Canadian citizen, does one need to surrender the passport for their other citizenship?

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
I'm a Filipino citizen originally and became a Canadian citizen in 2021. I'm aware that I lost my Filipino citizenship because of this, but can reacquire it and become a dual-citizen should I choose to.

Now, after more than 2 years, I was told that I should have surrendered my Philippine passport to the consulate immediately after becoming a Canadian since I was stripped of my Filipino citizenship, and that I would even have to pay a late fee of some sort.

I've searched online and don't see much information about this so I'm not sure if there is any truth to this.

Any feedback is appreciated!

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
Every country makes its own rules about their citizenship. Canada has no restrictions on dual citizenship but they can't control what the Philippines or any other country does if someone becomes a Canadian.

You have already answered your own question. The law of the Phillipines states that you lose your Filippino citizenship of you do not make a declaration to retain/reacquire it. If you don't do that in a timely fashion but keep your Filippino passport, of course, the Philippines can fine you for violating its law. If you don't trust what the Philippine's consulate says, then either research the citizenship and passport law yourself or contact a lawyer licenced in the Philippines.

Reactions: Yuki.03

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I'm a Filipino citizen originally and became a Canadian citizen in 2021. I'm aware that I lost my Filipino citizenship because of this, but can reacquire it and become a dual-citizen should I choose to.

Now, after more than 2 years, I was told that I should have surrendered my Philippine passport to the consulate immediately after becoming a Canadian since I was stripped of my Filipino citizenship, and that I would even have to pay a late fee of some sort.

I've searched online and don't see much information about this so I'm not sure if there is any truth to this.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Lol. Is that person trying to scam you

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Lol. Is that person trying to scam you
it is online i don't know what they were looking for. but the info is online it was something the Philippine
started from 2003. Republic Act 9225, or the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003, passed into law on 29 August 2003, grants the opportunity to retain or reacquire the Filipino citizenship of natural-born Filipinos who have lost their Filipino citizenship through naturalization in a foreign country.

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
Every country makes its own rules about their citizenship. Canada has no restrictions on dual citizenship but they can't control what the Philippines or any other country does if someone becomes a Canadian.

You have already answered your own question. The law of the Phillipines states that you lose your Filippino citizenship of you do not make a declaration to retain/reacquire it. If you don't do that in a timely fashion but keep your Filippino passport, of course, the Philippines can fine you for violating its law. If you don't trust what the Philippine's consulate says, then either research the citizenship and passport law yourself or contact a lawyer licenced in the Philippines.
I didn't say anything about Canada controlling what the Philippines does if a Filipino becomes a Canadian, now, did I?

And where exactly does it state that I will be fined if I keep my Filipino passport after becoming a Canadian citizen?

fièrementcanadien

Jan 31, 2024
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
I'm aware that I lost my Filipino citizenship because of this, but can reacquire it
this is not true after RA 9225 was passed in 2003.

Official act: https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/2003/08/29/republic-act-no-9225/

SEC. 2. Declaration of Policy. — It is hereby declared the policy of the State that all Philippine citizens who become citizens of another country shall be deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under the conditions of this Act.
you do have to take the oath to "retain" or reactivate (my term) your citizenship but you have not "lost" it nor has the PH govt stripped you of it. ie you do not need to "reacquire" it.

See https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/service/gdc/gdcovop/2021307335/2021307335.pdf
Those who were naturalized before the effectivity of RA 9225 or before 2003 were deemed to have lost their Philippine citizenship (under Commonwealth Act 63) and can re-acquire it under the same Act.
Those who were naturalized after the effectivity of RA 9225 or after 2003 were deemed to have kept their Philippine citizenship, in other words can retain it.
However, to retain or re-acquire one's Philippine citizenship one still has to undergo the same procedure regardless.
years, I was told that I should have surrendered my Philippine passport to the consulate immediately after becoming a Canadian since I was stripped of my Filipino citizenship
1. you were not stripped of your citizenship ergo the first clause of that statement is invalid.
2. as a PH citizen, you are not required to have an unexpired passport unless you want to use it as a travel document so I can't imagine they'd fault you for it when you apply to take the oath.

disclaimers:
1. I'm not Filipino
2. I do not work for the PH consulate and you should check what was said above with them
3. I'm not a lawyer

Reactions: T365

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
it is online i don't know what they were looking for. but the info is online it was something the Philippine
started from 2003. Republic Act 9225, or the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003, passed into law on 29 August 2003, grants the opportunity to retain or reacquire the Filipino citizenship of natural-born Filipinos who have lost their Filipino citizenship through naturalization in a foreign country.
I’m aware of reacquisition. I was referring to the “surrender the passport within 2 years or else there’s a late fee” part. Can you find that online? First time I’d ever heard of it, although I did hear from an acquaintance they needed to wait 2 years to reacquire Filipino citizenship.

To stay on topic, I think the claim is BS (at least if someone does not plan to reacquire) because Philippine immigration has a program where one can use their old Philippine passport to be able to stay in the Philippines for one year visa-free. Meaning. In your posesssion. Not surrendered.

https://www.philcongen-toronto.com/consular/consular_balikbayan.php

Was the person in OP's post confusing India's requirement with the Philippines'?

Last edited:

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
I’m aware of reacquisition. I was referring to the “surrender the passport within 2 years or else there’s a late fee” part. Can you find that online? First time I’d ever heard of it, although I did hear from an acquaintance they needed to wait 2 years to reacquire Filipino citizenship.

To stay on topic, I think the claim is BS (at least if someone does not plan to reacquire) because Philippine immigration has a program where one can use their old Philippine passport to be able to stay in the Philippines for one year visa-free. Meaning. In your posesssion. Not surrendered.

https://www.philcongen-toronto.com/consular/consular_balikbayan.php

Was the person in OP's post confusing India's requirement with the Philippines'?
Thanks for sharing that program.

Not sure. I can't remember who among my peers mentioned it. I thought it made sense because I thought I was no longer a Filipino after becoming a Canadian.

T365

Mar 22, 2015
NOC Code......
this is not true after RA 9225 was passed in 2003.

Official act: https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/2003/08/29/republic-act-no-9225/

you do have to take the oath to "retain" or reactivate (my term) your citizenship but you have not "lost" it nor has the PH govt stripped you of it. ie you do not need to "reacquire" it.

See https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/service/gdc/gdcovop/2021307335/2021307335.pdf

1. you were not stripped of your citizenship ergo the first clause of that statement is invalid.
2. as a PH citizen, you are not required to have an unexpired passport unless you want to use it as a travel document so I can't imagine they'd fault you for it when you apply to take the oath.

disclaimers:
1. I'm not Filipino
2. I do not work for the PH consulate and you should check what was said above with them
3. I'm not a lawyer
Thanks for sharing information about that law.

Although do I even have to take the oath to retain my Filipino citizenship? Gaining Canadian citizenship doesn't make me lose my Filipino citizenship (unlike other countries).

fièrementcanadien

Jan 31, 2024
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
Thanks for sharing information about that law.

Although do I even have to take the oath to retain my Filipino citizenship? Gaining Canadian citizenship doesn't make me lose my Filipino citizenship (unlike other countries).
I don't work for the PH government. Per that law, you must retake the oath but apparently you're having trouble believing that. Call the consulate to find out.