+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After 1 year of receiving PR card, should I inform the CIC about my divorce?

Spiritual

Apr 9, 2018
Hello Members,

I found this side very helpful. I am looking for some suggestion about my issue. I have moved to Canada with work permit in 2012. My husband and only child also moved with me as dependent. My husband left Canada in 2014 January. Then I have applied for PNP in 2014 December and added my husband as dependent. We received my landing permission in 2016 May and the expired date was May 2017. As my daughter lives with me, we did our landing procedure in Ottawa in October 2016. But my husband never came to Canada for landing procedure. Once I contacted to the CIC about the situation before it got expired and they told me that there is nothing to do at my end rather than apply again. Our relation was not good at al, but still I wanted to live together for my daughter. Finally he did not come in. Our relation got worsen and finally we got divorce in July 2017. After divorce, I updated my divorce status in my CRA account.
My question is:
1. Should I still inform CIC about my divorce? If yes, how can I inform them?
2. If I want to remarry, can I sponsor my future hubby? Should I wait for a certain time?
3. Is this situation going to impact on my citizenship application?

Can someone help me by replying these issue. It would be so much appreciated.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
1. No, there is no need to advise CIC about your divorce it is irrelevent.

2. If you remarry you can certainly sponsor a new spouse,you may be under a bit more scrutiny as you were married when you landed initially and are now married to someone else, but so long as everything is on the up and up you'll be fine.

3. No, there is no impact to your citizenship application.

You are positive that your previous husband never used his CoPR to land in Canada, correct? The only reason I ask is that it is a familiar situation where they get the CoPR and land quietly without the other spouse knowing.