+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advise needed: How to get Translator Affidavit in China?

artmesh

Nov 30, 2016
Hi everyone,

need advise from anyone who knows how to go about getting a translator affidavit from documents in China (e.g. Proof of Birth and Police Certificate). As far as I am aware, the local Notary Public Office will issue the final original + translated documents, but they do not issue a translator affidavit. Another member in a similar situation back in 2013 also shared his experience and asked for help but did not have any further posts in his thread, I am hoping someone else who had gone through recently can share.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/who-has-had-experiences-with-getting-police-certificate-in-china-please-help.135305/

In fact, my main question is, do we need translator affidavit for these police certificate? Reason I ask is because, while I am already aware of the information in this CIC link:
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/china.asp)

What puzzles me is it only asks for these two things below, but does not mention anything about getting a translator affidavit. These two can be satisfied by the current process in China for issuing police certificate, so is it already enough or do we need to get a translator affidavit?

Name of document(s) to obtain:
  1. Certificate of No Criminal Convictions (issued by the local police station and Public Security Bureau (PSB) office) or Notary Certificate of No Criminal Convictions (issued by the Notary Public Office) and,
  2. a notarized translation.

I have seen other forum posts and CIC webpage itself mentions the need for translator affidavit if documents are not in English or French. But this does not tie in with the CIC police certificate page information requested above, so I hope someone who has been through, can advise.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=018&top=4

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi everyone,

need advise from anyone who knows how to go about getting a translator affidavit from documents in China (e.g. Proof of Birth and Police Certificate). As far as I am aware, the local Notary Public Office will issue the final original + translated documents, but they do not issue a translator affidavit. Another member in a similar situation back in 2013 also shared his experience and asked for help but did not have any further posts in his thread, I am hoping someone else who had gone through recently can share.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/who-has-had-experiences-with-getting-police-certificate-in-china-please-help.135305/

In fact, my main question is, do we need translator affidavit for these police certificate? Reason I ask is because, while I am already aware of the information in this CIC link:
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/china.asp)

What puzzles me is it only asks for these two things below, but does not mention anything about getting a translator affidavit. These two can be satisfied by the current process in China for issuing police certificate, so is it already enough or do we need to get a translator affidavit?

Name of document(s) to obtain:
  1. Certificate of No Criminal Convictions (issued by the local police station and Public Security Bureau (PSB) office) or Notary Certificate of No Criminal Convictions (issued by the Notary Public Office) and,
  2. a notarized translation.

I have seen other forum posts and CIC webpage itself mentions the need for translator affidavit if documents are not in English or French. But this does not tie in with the CIC police certificate page information requested above, so I hope someone who has been through, can advise.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=018&top=4
Hi, artmesh! In China PCC is a notarial certificate itself, and public notary office issues it in Chinese and Eng, 2 pages. The PCC I got and PCCs I've seen online are all like that. So, basically, its a 2 language document, with Eng and Chinese versions on different pages, pages are sealed together. Mine even has a cover page saying Notarial certificate in Eng and Chinese. So, you don't need to translate it anymore, and don't need an affidavite. At least, I didn't see any need to translate a Ch-Eng doc anymore.

artmesh

Nov 30, 2016
Hi, artmesh! In China PCC is a notarial certificate itself, and public notary office issues it in Chinese and Eng, 2 pages. The PCC I got and PCCs I've seen online are all like that. So, basically, its a 2 language document, with Eng and Chinese versions on different pages, pages are sealed together. Mine even has a cover page saying Notarial certificate in Eng and Chinese. So, you don't need to translate it anymore, and don't need an affidavite. At least, I didn't see any need to translate a Ch-Eng doc anymore.
Hi Houzi, thanks for your reply!

Did IRCC accept your China PCC without the affidavit?

And, may I know how did you go about your Notarial Certificate of Birth, did you also submit similar document like the PCC without any affidavit?

While I have not done the PCC yet, I have done my Notarial Certificate of Birth, which is a Cover Page with two pages (Chinese and English) inside, the Chinese one has my photo, the Notary stamp, and local Notary Public Office Stamp, the English one is a word for word translation, but no stamps. Is that what you mean by sealed?

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi Houzi, thanks for your reply!

Did IRCC accept your China PCC without the affidavit?

And, may I know how did you go about your Notarial Certificate of Birth, did you also submit similar document like the PCC without any affidavit?

While I have not done the PCC yet, I have done my Notarial Certificate of Birth, which is a Cover Page with two pages (Chinese and English) inside, the Chinese one has my photo, the Notary stamp, and local Notary Public Office Stamp, the English one is a word for word translation, but no stamps. Is that what you mean by sealed?
Hi! Yes, thats what I mean by sealed for PCC. I cannot say whether my PCC was accepted or not. I did my AOR 80 days ago, and now I'm still waiting. I will post on the forum when I have a result, you can track my messages via my profile at a later date.
As for birth certificate, I cannot say anything, since I'm not a Chinese national and had never received such a document from China. May I ask why do you prepare a birth certificate for ITA? You don't need it at all. Maybe unless you prove your family relationship to get points?

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi! I'm writing to say that there is a definite chance to get a PR with incomplete PCC from China, since I just got my PR this morning! Yes!!! I had a PCC for my period of studying, and couldn't provide PCC for all visits to China on F and L visas (multiple), including staying in Guangzhou for 2 and 3 months. My LoE was accepted. I attached mails to/from agents to LoE, showing its impossible to arrange PCC for F and L visas. So, good luck! We can do it!
Case processed by Ottawa, not by my local VO.
My timeline: May 10 - AOR;
June 23 - medical passed, BS changed to: you application is in progress.
July 23 - BC changed to: we're prosessing your background check.
Aug 10 - emailed CIC to inquire which VO is processing my case.
Aug 15 - got reply saying: your application has been approved and is being processed as per our regulatiry timeline.
Aug 17 - PPR!

Reactions: yellowhornet

artmesh

Nov 30, 2016
Hi it's been a while, where you able to use your PCC and birth certificate as is?

The covers for my notarial certificates are in Chinese only, but the content is the same as you described.

Should I get the cover translated and certified by a Canadian translator?
hi, my notarial certs issued together by the local PSB were accepted, did not need further translation and certification. Sorry for the late reply and hope it helps you or whoever is searching for related information.

Reactions: tanujgyan