+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

advice for my case Study Permit + OWP

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everybody! I need some suggestions regarding my case.

I am an Italian student, just accepted to UWO for a PhD in Classics. My partner and I want to go together through an Open Work Permit: she is from Slovakia, we have been dating since July 2011, spent two semesters apart while we were finishing school, then she came visit me twice to the US for 3 months+3 months (we lived together but have no contract for those periods), then we started our joint lease here in London, UK in September 2013, and have been living together ever since.

To prove our common-law relationship we want to submit:

- joint lease agreements;
- notarized statutory declaration of common-law union;
- at least 200 pictures with date spread across 4 years from all the travels we have done together, and all the places we have been together;
- pictures showing that our two families met several times;
- an explanation letter signed by both of us describing our story;
- 2 notarized letters from our family members;
- tickets and holiday summary of us together or me visiting her, and vice versa;
- 300 pages of skype transcripts from the months we were apart;
- 50 pages of facebook transcript showing we have been knowing even before we were officially together;

She also wants to submit:
- her last 6/7 payslips;
- recommendation from her area manager;
- bank reference from her bank;
- bank reference from her parents saying that basically they are able to support her for whatever need she might have while in Canada;

What do you guys think about it?

Babies0625

Feb 4, 2015
Calgary
salvatore270 said:
Hey everybody! I need some suggestions regarding my case.

I am an Italian student, just accepted to UWO for a PhD in Classics. My partner and I want to go together through an Open Work Permit: she is from Slovakia, we have been dating since July 2011, spent two semesters apart while we were finishing school, then she came visit me twice to the US for 3 months+3 months (we lived together but have no contract for those periods), then we started our joint lease here in London, UK in September 2013, and have been living together ever since.

To prove our common-law relationship we want to submit:

- joint lease agreements;
- notarized statutory declaration of common-law union;
- at least 200 pictures with date spread across 4 years from all the travels we have done together, and all the places we have been together;
- pictures showing that our two families met several times;
- an explanation letter signed by both of us describing our story;
- 2 notarized letters from our family members;
- tickets and holiday summary of us together or me visiting her, and vice versa;
- 300 pages of skype transcripts from the months we were apart;
- 50 pages of facebook transcript showing we have been knowing even before we were officially together;

She also wants to submit:
- her last 6/7 payslips;
- recommendation from her area manager;
- bank reference from her bank;
- bank reference from her parents saying that basically they are able to support her for whatever need she might have while in Canada;

What do you guys think about it?
Hi salvatore270, we are in the same situation but my GF will be the one studying. These proofs are more than the required but the more proofs the better. More important I guess is joint bank accounts & bills under the same address, which I guess is covered since you have joint lease agreement? Good luck to us! Haha

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Babies0625 said:
Hi salvatore270, we are in the same situation but my GF will be the one studying. These proofs are more than the required but the more proofs the better. More important I guess is joint bank accounts & bills under the same address, which I guess is covered since you have joint lease agreement? Good luck to us! Haha
Thanks! I'm 24 years old and she is 25, so I guess we never really thought about getting joint bank accounts or life insurances (!! :) )

Babies0625

Feb 4, 2015
Calgary
salvatore270 said:
Thanks! I'm 24 years old and she is 25, so I guess we never really thought about getting joint bank accounts or life insurances (!! :) )
That's our proof, joint bank accounts, we are living in my parents' house, we have bills under one address, no life insurance either. We'll just submit Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union, 2 Notarized Affidavits (Parents & Cohabitation). When are you applying, online or paper based?

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Babies0625 said:
That's our proof, joint bank accounts, we are living in my parents' house, we have bills under one address, no life insurance either. We'll just submit Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union, 2 Notarized Affidavits (Parents & Cohabitation). When are you applying, online or paper based?
Nice! Yeah, we don't have joint bank accounts so I guess we need to fill the gap with more pictures, bills under same address, landlords' contracts, travel tickets, & co. We will apply online! What about you?

Babies0625

Feb 4, 2015
Calgary
salvatore270 said:
Nice! Yeah, we don't have joint bank accounts so I guess we need to fill the gap with more pictures, bills under same address, landlords' contracts, travel tickets, & co. We will apply online! What about you?
The other proofs you'll submit should suffice. Same here online this May, waiting for our Bank Statements to be exactly 4 straight months.

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Babies0625 said:
The other proofs you'll submit should suffice. Same here online this May, waiting for our Bank Statements to be exactly 4 straight months.
We are waiting for our bank references as well! And my partner is also waiting to get her Police Certificate from the UK police :)

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regarding FUNDS:

- my partner has got circa 10,000 CAD under her name

- I have circa 65,000 CAD

- my tuition would be paid by my family in full (indicating 50,000 CAD available funds on the Study Permit form)

Would they be strong evidence of funding support for the both of us? also, we would come under common-law partners so I my funds would be good for her too, right?.

Babies0625

Feb 4, 2015
Calgary
salvatore270 said:
Regarding FUNDS:

- my partner has got circa 10,000 CAD under her name

- I have circa 65,000 CAD

- my tuition would be paid by my family in full (indicating 50,000 CAD available funds on the Study Permit form)

Would they be strong evidence of funding support for the both of us? also, we would come under common-law partners so I my funds would be good for her too, right?.
Yes, these are more than enough, they only require [tuition + 10K CAD (living expenses for yourself) + 4K CAD for 1 accompanying dependent]. Since your family will pay for your tuition, you also need an affidavit of support.