+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for "engineers" applying to Professional Engineers Ontario for P.Eng.

slang

Feb 7, 2019
Hello,
I just wanted to see how long people from the US with US degrees took to get their PENG. I made the mistake of applying in Ontario and have been through absolute hell. Interview, academic exams and such long waiting times. Now after passing my law and ethics exam they let me know they're still not sure. It was such an emotional let down after all the work I put it. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else and if they ended up getting their license anyway?

Stevolucci

Feb 6, 2019
Hi All,

I wanted to get some information regarding Professional Engineering Licensing. I am a Chemical Engineer and currently working in Ontario since the last 5 months. I wanted to know if I can apply for my Professional Engineering License from any other province and get it transferred to Professional Engineers Ontario. I want to do this as the Licensing Process in Ontario inevitably requires writing Three technical exams and one complementary studies exam. If you fail these exams then you would be put into a Specific Examination Program covering 18 courses.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan Kumar

Try not to fail the exam

vrtripathi1

Jul 23, 2017
Hi Pavan,

What is your status of PENG I have a similar condition like you. Can you guide me ?

Hi All,

I wanted to get some information regarding Professional Engineering Licensing. I am a Chemical Engineer and currently working in Ontario since the last 5 months. I wanted to know if I can apply for my Professional Engineering License from any other province and get it transferred to Professional Engineers Ontario. I want to do this as the Licensing Process in Ontario inevitably requires writing Three technical exams and one complementary studies exam. If you fail these exams then you would be put into a Specific Examination Program covering 18 courses.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan Kumar

Invicta

Star Member
Jul 1, 2016
Hello,
I just wanted to see how long people from the US with US degrees took to get their PENG. I made the mistake of applying in Ontario and have been through absolute hell. Interview, academic exams and such long waiting times. Now after passing my law and ethics exam they let me know they're still not sure. It was such an emotional let down after all the work I put it. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else and if they ended up getting their license anyway?
I am very sorry to hear that. My experience has been completely the opposite of yours.

I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree, both in mechanical engineering and both from the US.
Since my schools are part of the Washington Accord, PEO pretty much treated me like CEAB-applicants and I did not have to write any technical exams (I was very worried that I had to, though). I then wrote the PPE and submitted my experience records when I accumulated 12 months of Canadian experience under a P.Eng. I just got my licence yesterday and am now waiting for the certificate and the seal.

Regarding the duration of the entire application:
I applied (for EIT) in October 2017 when I just started working in Canada. I got my 12 months of required experience in October 2018 and got my licence in February 2019.

L_K_84

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
Hello, has anyone started their engineering licensing process before actually landing in Canada (Ontario) ? I want to check whether I fulfill the academic requirements for a PEO license before arriving to Canada. On their website it is stated that this is possible and I should submit the application and required documents by mail. Also they are asking for a $339 CAD fee. So do I just include the cash with the mail? Not sure where to find Canadian dollars in my country... share your experience please

Usmanjamil

Oct 13, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have read the thread and almost it has covered everything.

My application is under ARC's review.

The Question is:

Whether they ask us to chose the courses from Group A & B and complimentary list ?

OR

They specify & select courses to write exams for ?

Is there a choice in exam selection, because as an Electrical Engineer i am confident and +7 years experienced in Power Sector, what if they assign exams related to Communications or Control ?

Rginger

Dec 31, 2018
Hello everyone,

Does anyone on this forum have example of experience record for civil/structural engineering? I heard they require 2 projects with full hand calcs and these days everything is calculated in the software so I never done hand cals in Canada. Thanks in advance!

JackMa

Star Member
Aug 2, 2016
Hi

Need a suggestion!!

I am having Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from India. I am also having 10+ years of Engineering experience in Power sector.

First, I am planning to obtained an EIT status from APEGA (already having WES ICAP (Course by course) Evaluation.)

After getting EIT status I will upgrade to P.Eng licence during/after 1 year Canadina Experience.

My understanding is correct? Or APEGA will insist that I must apply for P.Eng Licence ?

Please help.

Sibasis

Jan 16, 2019
Hi Guys,

I have read the thread and almost it has covered everything.

My application is under ARC's review.

The Question is:

Whether they ask us to chose the courses from Group A & B and complimentary list ?

OR

They specify & select courses to write exams for ?

Is there a choice in exam selection, because as an Electrical Engineer i am confident and +7 years experienced in Power Sector, what if they assign exams related to Communications or Control ?
For power engineers is it possible to get a 2 or 3rd class power engineer cert directly or is it mandatory to get an EIT or Pengg licence.

Sibasis

Jan 16, 2019
Hi

Need a suggestion!!

I am having Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from India. I am also having 10+ years of Engineering experience in Power sector.

First, I am planning to obtained an EIT status from APEGA (already having WES ICAP (Course by course) Evaluation.)

After getting EIT status I will upgrade to P.Eng licence during/after 1 year Canadina Experience.

My understanding is correct? Or APEGA will insist that I must apply for P.Eng Licence ?

Please help.
Hi I am also a mechanical engineer in power plant operation and wanted to know whether we can directly get a 2nd or 3rd class power engineer certificate or we need to apply for a Pengg license.

pxyarala

Feb 12, 2016
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
12-11-2016
Nomination.....
December 16th 2016 OINP
AOR Received.
22-08-2016
Hi Pavan,

What is your status of PENG I have a similar condition like you. Can you guide me ?
Hi vrtripathi1,

I have not started my application yet. How about you?.

Pavan

pxyarala

Feb 12, 2016
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
12-11-2016
Nomination.....
December 16th 2016 OINP
AOR Received.
22-08-2016
I am very sorry to hear that. My experience has been completely the opposite of yours.

I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree, both in mechanical engineering and both from the US.
Since my schools are part of the Washington Accord, PEO pretty much treated me like CEAB-applicants and I did not have to write any technical exams (I was very worried that I had to, though). I then wrote the PPE and submitted my experience records when I accumulated 12 months of Canadian experience under a P.Eng. I just got my licence yesterday and am now waiting for the certificate and the seal.

Regarding the duration of the entire application:
I applied (for EIT) in October 2017 when I just started working in Canada. I got my 12 months of required experience in October 2018 and got my licence in February 2019.

Hi Invicta,

Things are pretty simple and easy for CEAB applicants with PEO. I have a Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering from India and a Master's degree in Chemical Engineering from USA. Will my Master's degree, that is from USA, considered to be part of CEAB to be given exemption from writing exams or would the Bachelor's degree have to be from USA to considered part of Washington Accord?

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan

pxyarala

Feb 12, 2016
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
12-11-2016
Nomination.....
December 16th 2016 OINP
AOR Received.
22-08-2016
Hi I applied for my PR in 2018 and still awaiting my PR. I am also a Chemical Engineer from India and a PhD from the US with 2 years work experience in the US. Currently I am back in India and wondering if it is worthwhile to start the P.Eng process from India before I land in Canada. I plan to do it for Alberta. Also is it impossible to get a job without a P.Eng license as I have only 2 years work experience?
Hi aarty,

You can start the P. Eng license process even before you land. if you are not a Provincial Nominee then you can land anywhere in Canada and apply for P.Eng license from the province where you intend to work. Yes it is possible to get a job in Canada without a P.Eng license. You will have to work under a supervisor has the P.Eng license. He /she will have to take responsibility of your work. I have been working for the past 10 months in this way.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan

ryan_m

Jan 28, 2018
somebody mentioned "Yes it is possible to get a job in Canada without a P.Eng license." - this is true BUT there is an overwhelming oversupply of engineers in Canada right now. I know several P.Eng holders personally and from friends, and they are working at Walmart for extended periods of time. The other day, one P.Eng just message me he has not been able to find engineering jobs for over 3 years now. So yeah you can work, but don't expect that to be in engineering.

If you are wondering why and what happened, Google search for "Alberta oil sands recession" or similar search terms. It will answer your questions and more.

Reactions: engmannankhans