+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advanced dimploma 3years(co-op included) Vs Master in science 2 years

ramseriv

Star Member
Mar 20, 2021
Hello,

I'm currently an outlander,

While I'm deciding to apply to Waterloo university, I already got green light from 2/each (UWaterloo and UofToronto) researcher supervisors to apply for a Master in Science, even though they told me that the admission is uncertain because the demand is huge.

I'm now hesitant about my future once finish a Master in Science and the probabilities of getting into the job market, to such a extent that some people had advice me that is better to go for the diploma because it has a co-op opportunity included, which experience will attract more attention to the consultants than a MsC diploma, at the end, I wanted the master in Science because it can be funded, not because I want to pursue a Phd, but because it was financially guaranteed, some say is tough getting into the job market with a Master degree. What will happen later? which is best permanent option for my future in Canada, the advanced diploma (apply for jobs as a engineer technologist probably with co-op experience or as a Master in Science?) both are in the same field of civil engineering.

Is hard to get an internship when the program offers a co-op?

I'll appreciate any recommendation from experienced people in this situation!

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
1) Not all diploma has co-op option.
2) Very few Msc are funded. Very few.
3) Diploma value is inferior than Master value academically and professionally.
4) Getting a job or not depends on several factors (your background, experience, languages, abilities,...) not only the degree you have.
5) A Msc at UWaterloo and an advanced diploma? Msc for sure.

Resettlementincanada

Aug 14, 2021
I would suggest to go for universities and masters program, they would help you in future for jobs and for residency(if you want to) and both univerisities enjoy great reputation in Canada.
A funded research mean working on future product and innovation, which bring new challenge and better professional goals.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

I'm currently an outlander,

While I'm deciding to apply to Waterloo university, I already got green light from 2/each (UWaterloo and UofToronto) researcher supervisors to apply for a Master in Science, even though they told me that the admission is uncertain because the demand is huge.

I'm now hesitant about my future once finish a Master in Science and the probabilities of getting into the job market, to such a extent that some people had advice me that is better to go for the diploma because it has a co-op opportunity included, which experience will attract more attention to the consultants than a MsC diploma, at the end, I wanted the master in Science because it can be funded, not because I want to pursue a Phd, but because it was financially guaranteed, some say is tough getting into the job market with a Master degree. What will happen later? which is best permanent option for my future in Canada, the advanced diploma (apply for jobs as a engineer technologist probably with co-op experience or as a Master in Science?) both are in the same field of civil engineering.

Is hard to get an internship when the program offers a co-op?

I'll appreciate any recommendation from experienced people in this situation!
I would look for new friends than those who advice you to snub Masters Degree program from No 1 University in Canada (UoT) for Diploma.

Reactions: thaovy99