+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding spouse after PPR and before landing

salvidor

Nov 7, 2015
Hoping that some of the experts here can shed some light on this.

I got my PPR on Oct 15th, got it stamped on 21st Oct and i have until 21st April 2016 to do my landing. Now my situation changed and i got engaged last week and will be getting married In Jan.

My options are that i go for landing right away, get my PR card, get married in January, do a Spousal Sponsorship application right after. My Fiance is a British citizen (currently not in Canada) so "out of Canada" sponsorship is a 2 year plus process. So basically not a good option. Else, i can inform CPC-Ottawa that i am getting married in Jan and would like to add my spouse to my application at that point. I am assuming they will invalidate my PPR and ask me not to go for landing, submit my fiances details after marriage and wait for a PPR again so that we can go for a landing together. Can someone shed some light on if this is a good option and if you have any more details on this option?

Also, can this have any negative effect on my PR decision? and how much time do you think it might take for the PPR to come again after adding my spouse to my application?
My work permit and also my passport expires in June 2016. So I am hoping that the process is faster in the express entry stream.

Thanks In advance for any advice you can share. My timelines are given below.

Application Submitted: June 2nd
AOR: June 3rd
Medicals Passed: June 21st
Decision Made: Oct 5th
PPR: Oct 14th

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're thinking right with the 2nd option. Revised PPR shouldn't take a lot of time - it really depends on your spouse's document requirements. If there is no delay in submitting the required documents, it should be a matter of weeks adding them to your application and issuing fresh COPRs. Depending on when you inform CIC, you might have to redo medicals but that's a remote possibility if you initiate this process in January itself.

Congratulations & all the best!

salvidor

Nov 7, 2015
Thanks for your insights Asivad. Yes, i will definitely submit all the required documents for my fiance by mid Jan. I did my medicals for my EE profile back in April 2015 so not sure if it will still be valid.

My main concern is if this process will have any negative impact on my already approved PR decision or if my whole application will be reassessed once again. Also i am guessing that i might have to renew my passport for the new PPR request since my passport expires in June 2016 and CPC-Ottawa asks for a passport that is valid for at least 6 months for the new PPR:( whole different issue to deal with here.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your application won't be reassessed now. And your visa is valid till April '16 because your medicals expire then. As I said, unlikely that you may need to repeat medicals but recommend that you schedule medicals along with your spouse in Jan, just in case. Also recommend that you renew your passport before initiating the process of adding your spouse to this application. Lastly, I'm sure you're aware that you can start this process at any point in time after you get married and before 21 April 2016, earlier the better of course.

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with Asivad:
I would begin by renewing the passport immediately
and then mid Jan inform CIC of the wedding and provide spouse documents... before landing

tosincci

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
4/04/2015 & 29/6/2015
Passport Req..
11-12-2015
firstly, you cant proceed with landing formalities till then with option 2 as you rightly noted.

secondly, the process of adding a spouse to your application will take you about 2months thereabouts based on my personal timeline and another friend in similar situation.. you first ll v to send in an inclusion of spouse form then about 7-10more doucments and you should be done (spouse shedule a, you new schedule a, imm 00008, travel form spouse, pcc, medicals etc). all depends on VO

way better option than spousal sponsorship but prep your mind for the wait. plus i will advise sending necessary cse mid-december due to timelags etc.

all the best

abinto

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
Will adding spouse after PPR reduce the CRS points?? is it gonna affect the PR decision?? suppose the total points drops below the cutoff??

Blessing1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2015
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland.....CIO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Upfront
Nomination.....
28-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-12-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
5 Jan, 2016
LANDED..........
15 Jan, 2016.
Another alternative is to go ahead and do your landing now. After you get married in January, your wife can join you here in Canada as a visitor since she does not require a visa. You can then start the inland spousal sponsorship and she can get a work permit to work while you wait for the inland spousal process to be completed. For me, that's a win, win.

abinto

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
Hi Guys, Just want to know if someone want to add their spouse after ppr (with visa stamped ) to their application. it will definitely reduce the the CRS score below cutoff. is it gona be a problem then?? and he is not from visa exempt country. ??? any ideas???

tosincci

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
4/04/2015 & 29/6/2015
Passport Req..
11-12-2015
adding after eApr but before landing = does not affect scores
adding before eApr or after ITA but before submission= affect scores
adding after landing= you have to follow spousal sponsorship route (18months+)

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
tosincci said:
adding after eApr but before landing = does not affect scores
adding before eApr or after ITA but before submission= affect scores
adding after landing= you have to follow spousal sponsorship route (18months+)
Just in addition - one cannot add spouse after eApr if s/he was already married before accepting ita.

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
so if i choose to add a spouse to my application after PR but before landing, will the PoF requirement change?

Lumen_UK

Star Member
Jan 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting post. I will need some help on this as I am unsure how to proceed. Currently in a relationship of less than a year. I got PPR but I havent landed yet. If I want to add my current partner on my visa, would I have to marry? I am not sure that common law relationship would apply as it is less than a year?

Would it be easier to add her now or when we land in Canada? If we follow the spousal sponsorship, will she be able to work from day one? What about the funds I need to show?

Thanks

munjal

May 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Blessing1 said:
Another alternative is to go ahead and do your landing now. After you get married in January, your wife can join you here in Canada as a visitor since she does not require a visa. You can then start the inland spousal sponsorship and she can get a work permit to work while you wait for the inland spousal process to be completed. For me, that's a win, win.
interesting thread..
I would like so share my situation here.
I am a married applicant, and if I submit my EE profile as a single applicant (spouse not accompanying) my CRS is higher than as an applicant with spouse.

So, here as per your saying, if I get PR while applying as a single applicant (spouse not accompanying), then can I call my spouse on visitor visa and then proceed for inland spousal sponsorship as your mentioned.

I suppose, your suggestion given above is applicable to those applicants who are currently unmarried, and they got married after landing in Canada. In that case, he/she can call spouse on visitor visa and then apply for spousal visa.

Does this hold true for those applicants who are married but creating EE profile as as a single applicant (spouse not accompanying)?

tosincci

Star Member
Oct 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
4/04/2015 & 29/6/2015
Passport Req..
11-12-2015
might be wrong but heres my take.
you are not eligible for common law based on what you stated.

getting married before landing should work. i dare say will work.

landing means spousal sponsorship and takes time as stated. as regards working then i think you look at LMIA options, visa emept countries with canada that have prior agreements(someting similar to NAFTA etc)

of course some jobs are visa exempt.
theres also http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=177&t=17 where it seems she qualifies under number 2.

all the best
Lumen_UK said:
Interesting post. I will need some help on this as I am unsure how to proceed. Currently in a relationship of less than a year. I got PPR but I havent landed yet. If I want to add my current partner on my visa, would I have to marry? I am not sure that common law relationship would apply as it is less than a year?

Would it be easier to add her now or when we land in Canada? If we follow the spousal sponsorship, will she be able to work from day one? What about the funds I need to show?

Thanks