+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

adding spouse after COPR

Hope_1212

May 8, 2019
Hi..my spouse was non accompanying due to a peoject he was involved in his work... now I want to add him after COPR as things have changed...we have a kid of 6 years.can i add him now?

Jul 13, 2019
Hi @sawab don brother i am also from Pakistan and facing same scenario, can i have your contact number please, if you don't mind? i need a little help, Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

Sammy M.

Oct 3, 2018
Has anyone else received their updated COPR with spouse added? Just curious, roughly how long does it to get the COPR after spouse medical has passed

Jeevitha03

Oct 18, 2018
Guys ..just now received my PPR . LVO was super quick in my case ..anyway maybe they r compensating for putting me in SS for an year .
Anyways ...thank god ..everything went pretty smoothly...
Hi @paulmathew88,
I'm waiting to get my PPR in about a month and I'm engaged. I'm confused whether to get married after COPR and add him to application or to the processing of EE all over again for him separately. I want us to travel together but I'm in a worry whether adding spouse after COPR has any risks or what. If I add my spouse after COPR and if my spouse's application gets rejected for some reason, then will I be provided with PPR in best case? Could you please advise on the same.

Jeevitha03

Oct 18, 2018
Hi @paulmathew88,
I'm waiting to get my PPR in about a month and I'm engaged. I'm confused whether to get married after COPR and add him to application or to the processing of EE all over again for him separately. I want us to travel together but I'm in a worry whether adding spouse after COPR has any risks or what. If I add my spouse after COPR and if my spouse's application gets rejected for some reason, then will I be provided with PPR in best case? Could you please advise on the same.
Hi @paulmathew88, I got the PPR mail. I m getting married this November. Can I get the CoPR and inform cic later or should I inform them on top of PPR mail itself? Your reply will be much helpful since you have come across the same path. TIA.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi @paulmathew88,
If you get married before you land, it is mandatory to inform IRCC and not land. If you do try to land, you will be rejected and your PR application will be cancelled.

Your options are
1. Get CoPR, land and become PR, then come back and get married.
2. Get married, inform IRCC, submit your spouses medicals and PCC and get new CoPRs in roughly 2-3 months.

If you do option 1, you will have to live in Canada for one year while you sponsor your spouse. You will not be able to live together for that year. Also, you will be signing an undertaking that will make you responsible for any welfare funds he takes in the next three years

Option 2 is the better way to do this. After a short wait, you'll both get CoPRs and can come to Canada together. There is no undertaking in this case - you are not responsible for him.

The only risk is if your husband has some sort of police/medical issue. If he is inadmissible to Canada, you will be as well. However, that will be true even if you do a Spousal Sponsorship - you will then be forced to either live in Canada without your spouse, or go back to India. Neither is a good option.

Reactions: vivekvoona

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi @paulmathew88, I got the PPR mail. I m getting married this November. Can I get the CoPR and inform cic later or should I inform them on top of PPR mail itself? Your reply will be much helpful since you have come across the same path. TIA.
Since you're getting married in November, you can do one of two things

1. Get your CoPR, then get married and inform IRCC.
2. Tell them right now and ask if they want to just wait for you to get married and then submit the paperwork later

Either way works. Just remember that it is mandatory to inform IRCC if you get married before you have landed and become a PR.

YuvarajSR

Aug 1, 2018
Hi,

I went with Option 2 of @21Goose and received CoPR for me and my spouse exactly after 6 months from the date of submission of my spouse's documents.

Sammy M.

Oct 3, 2018
Hey There,
I informed IRCC after marriage before landing. I got new COPR for myself and my spouse after 4 months from submitting spouse's additional documents.

RoyAmit

May 1, 2018
I’m also from Bangladesh & in same boat. Would you mind to share your contact number please? It will remain confidential. I just want to get some suggestions. TIA.
Nationality Bangladeshi
Provincial nominee (Paper based)
"Your application has been referred to IRCC Ottawa for further review and processing" this is the response i last received after emailing london office as ottawa cpc never replied to email, and case specific enquiry just provides me with general response. However I have just submitted all updated forms and fees associated upfront and sent all the documents in a single document to ottawa office, I just hope they reply to the email.
Thank you for your reply @sawab don.
I am also in a same boat & from Bangladesh. Would you mind to share your

RoyAmit

May 1, 2018
Nationality Bangladeshi
Provincial nominee (Paper based)
"Your application has been referred to IRCC Ottawa for further review and processing" this is the response i last received after emailing london office as ottawa cpc never replied to email, and case specific enquiry just provides me with general response. However I have just submitted all updated forms and fees associated upfront and sent all the documents in a single document to ottawa office, I just hope they reply to the email.
Thank you for your reply @sawab don.
Also you can Email me your contact please: iloveroad@gmail.com

ruchikathakur16

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
Can anyone help me with imm0008e form. The notification says I have to fill this for me and my spouse. What should I mention in "program under which you are applying" ? Economic ? Or Family? And same for my spouse. What should I fill for him

Mirza1991

Star Member
Oct 11, 2019
Thank you so much for sharing your status with the community man! I got copr on 20th February, and I informed them about my marriage in advance on 13th February, which was on 22nd February, I got the reply after 37 days on 20th March. I have submitted my copr and passport for cancellation today.
Hey sawab,

How did you mail your visa officer? Did you have his mailing address? My VO is in Sydney who requested my passport and copr for cancellation. How can I mail him?