+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding spouse after CoPR

khare89

Sep 24, 2018
You should NOT have attempted to land until you were issued a new COPR with your updated marital status... The correct method is to raise a Case Specific Enquiry to the issuing visa office, ideally with the word URGENT in the first sentence. Was your visa cancelled and/or your CoPR confiscated by CBSA?

khare89

Sep 24, 2018
My visa is cancelled and COPR is also not valid now. I am returning to my country, India today voluntarily. I need your advise to save my PR application to get hampered. I have decided to fill an IRCC web form and submit all the documents that IRCC need as they specified in their email on my request. Will updating my documents now on IRCC work for me or not? But I am really worried how to convince them that I didn’t want to hide my information. PLEASE tell me the right place to visit and discuss my case in New Delhi.
I am enclosing the email received by me from CIC.. please do reply..

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 11:31 AM
Subject: Request for information
To: <nehakhare526@gmail.com>

IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:

Useful tips

• If you need information to fill out the forms, please consult the Fill out the forms section of the instruction guide found in the application kit that you have initially used to apply.
  • If the newly eligible family member is a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child who is already a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, only a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship and a letter of explanation are required.
  • It may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.
We hope you will find this information helpful.

Your add-on request will be evaluated by the responsible office. You will be contacted when a decision will be made or if further information is required.

visa offices located around the world. Here is the information for the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi, India:

Find a doctor in your area

website.

*A family member is a spouse, common-law partner, dependent child or dependent child of a dependent child.

Check your application status - You may either:
  • Help Centre - To find answers, you may consult the different sections or type keywords related to your question

Thank you,

Louis-Philippe
Agent #4181
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Note: The information provided may change without notice. If there is conflicting information between the text in the email and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the Citizenship Act or their regulations, the Act and/or Regulations prevail. This email was sent to you in the language of your choice. The information on the IRCC website is available in both official languages.

Reactions: Manbirsingh

khare89

Sep 24, 2018
If you really want to go down that route, you probably need to return your copr with a letter of explanation. It seems overly drastic however. Just resend another Case Specific Enquiry to the issuing visa office and make sure that you mark it Urgent.
You should NOT have attempted to land until you were issued a new COPR with your updated marital status... The correct method is to raise a Case Specific Enquiry to the issuing visa office, ideally with the word URGENT in the first sentence. Was your visa cancelled and/or your CoPR confiscated by CBSA?
thanks for your prompt reply. I am really confused how to start my application again with my spouse documents.
- Should I fill the case specific web form with all the documents of my spouse and his fees directly???
- Or should I first write to them about my case and then after their response I should complete my application?
- Will I need to show my funds and all the documents once again. As my COPR is surrendered to immigration in Canada only..
- my last question do I need to submit my visa also back to visa ofc as it is no longer valid according to their rules.
Please do reply asap.

Bumble123

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
@zardoz I have a question. A little background about my case.

I got my COPR in March and married in July. We used a consultant to apply for my husband's PR on our behalf. He send us a list of documents that he said the cic requested for and submitted them through web forms he didn't mention anything about the return f the COPR. He messed up the use of representative form so the case CIC didn't open our case for a month. So finally we submitted the documents on our own and yesterday it got updated in my CIC account saying a dependent has been added. Medical done now doing the background check.

When I asked the consultant to forward the email containing the list of documents asked he said he called them and they verbally told him about the documents required and never sent him in written . But when I see the thread of emails it is clear that the reason he never received an email is because his representative form was not complete and somehow he missed the email sent by the CIC to complete the form to move forward. And possibly he lied to us and send the basic documents which CIC asks from every one through webform .

Now my question is how do I confirm that CIC did or didn't ask for my passport back. When I call them the agents don't have any clear idea .I emailed CIC ottawa and they said they only deal with cases which are processed at Ottawa office and my case is at Sydney.
And how many days it is expected to take to clear the BG check?

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
@zardoz I have a question. A little background about my case.

I got my COPR in March and married in July. We used a consultant to apply for my husband's PR on our behalf. He send us a list of documents that he said the cic requested for and submitted them through web forms he didn't mention anything about the return f the COPR. He messed up the use of representative form so the case CIC didn't open our case for a month. So finally we submitted the documents on our own and yesterday it got updated in my CIC account saying a dependent has been added. Medical done now doing the background check.

When I asked the consultant to forward the email containing the list of documents asked he said he called them and they verbally told him about the documents required and never sent him in written . But when I see the thread of emails it is clear that the reason he never received an email is because his representative form was not complete and somehow he missed the email sent by the CIC to complete the form to move forward. And possibly he lied to us and send the basic documents which CIC asks from every one through webform .

Now my question is how do I confirm that CIC did or didn't ask for my passport back. When I call them the agents don't have any clear idea .I emailed CIC ottawa and they said they only deal with cases which are processed at Ottawa office and my case is at Sydney.
And how many days it is expected to take to clear the BG check?

Thanks!
You may need to remove your representative and take over the case yourself again.
Send an "urgent" Case Specific Enquiry to the visa office dealing with the application and ask them. Call centre agents are notoriously unreliable.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

Bumble123

Star Member
Feb 16, 2018
@zardoz We did exactly the same.Submitted our case again after removing the representative. Within 3 days my husband got added to my account and got his medicals cleared. It says now background check is going on. Any idea how long it may take?
As for the the return for the COPR I send another web form inquiring about it and still waiting for a reply.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Completely agree with the above. Makes zero sense to add your spouse as non-accompanying. It will take just as long to ad them as accompanying. And also agree that entry or how long someone is allowed into Canada is never guaranteed - even for Americans.
Hi scylla,
I have an urgent inquiry in which I need your expert opinion with.
I got my COPR as a single with an expiry date at the end of march 2019, however I am planing to get married at mid march before landing to be able to add my spouse to my application and get a new PR visa for both of us. I know that I have to contact CIC once I got married before the expiry of my COPR, however I am worried that I wouldn't get a reply back before the end of march due to the short period. Is it an issue or what should I do?

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hi zardoz,
I got my COPR as a single with an expiry date at the end of march 2019, however I am planing to get married at mid march before landing to be able to add my spouse to my application and get a new PR visa for both of us. I know that I have to contact CIC once I got married before the expiry of my COPR, however I am worried that they will not accept to add my spouse or I wouldn't get a reply back before the end of march due to the short period. Is it an issue or what should I do?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi zardoz,
I got my COPR as a single with an expiry date at the end of march 2019, however I am planing to get married at mid march before landing to be able to add my spouse to my application and get a new PR visa for both of us. I know that I have to contact CIC once I got married before the expiry of my COPR, however I am worried that they will not accept to add my spouse or I wouldn't get a reply back before the end of march due to the short period. Is it an issue or what should I do?
I consider this to be very bad timing. There's going to be almost no time before your own COPR expires, and if that happens before IRCC acknowledges the requirement to add your new spouse to the application, you will probably need to start the process all over again.

Whether you should proceed with this plan has to be your decision. You might be better off doing a "soft" landing as soon as possible and then marry, following up with Family Class sponsorship of your new spouse.

Reactions: ezio

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
I consider this to be very bad timing. There's going to be almost no time before your own COPR expires, and if that happens before IRCC acknowledges the requirement to add your new spouse to the application, you will probably need to start the process all over again.

Whether you should proceed with this plan has to be your decision. You might be better off doing a "soft" landing as soon as possible and then marry, following up with Family Class sponsorship of your new spouse.
Thank you. I am not sure but I am concerned that the COPR must be valid at the time they reopen my application to add my spouse and this will not happen due to the tight time between my marriage and them reopening my application.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you. I am not sure but I am concerned that the COPR must be valid at the time they reopen my application to add my spouse and this will not happen due to the tight time between my marriage and them reopening my application.
If your COPR is expired, it's almost certainly "Game Over", requiring a brand new application.

solid daddy

Star Member
Dec 11, 2017
Lahore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
22-06-2018
IELTS Request
L8 R9 W7.5 S7
How long it takes for new ppr after adding spouse after copr

Manbirsingh

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
My visa is cancelled and COPR is also not valid now. I am returning to my country, India today voluntarily. I need your advise to save my PR application to get hampered. I have decided to fill an IRCC web form and submit all the documents that IRCC need as they specified in their email on my request. Will updating my documents now on IRCC work for me or not? But I am really worried how to convince them that I didn’t want to hide my information. PLEASE tell me the right place to visit and discuss my case in New Delhi.
I am enclosing the email received by me from CIC.. please do reply..

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 11:31 AM
Subject: Request for information
To: <nehakhare526@gmail.com>

IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:

Useful tips

• If you need information to fill out the forms, please consult the Fill out the forms section of the instruction guide found in the application kit that you have initially used to apply.
  • If the newly eligible family member is a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child who is already a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, only a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship and a letter of explanation are required.
  • It may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.
We hope you will find this information helpful.

Your add-on request will be evaluated by the responsible office. You will be contacted when a decision will be made or if further information is required.

visa offices located around the world. Here is the information for the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi, India:

Find a doctor in your area

website.

*A family member is a spouse, common-law partner, dependent child or dependent child of a dependent child.

Check your application status - You may either:
  • Help Centre - To find answers, you may consult the different sections or type keywords related to your question
Thank you,

Louis-Philippe
Agent #4181
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Note: The information provided may change without notice. If there is conflicting information between the text in the email and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the Citizenship Act or their regulations, the Act and/or Regulations prevail. This email was sent to you in the language of your choice. The information on the IRCC website is available in both official languages.
It’s so sad to hear that returning back after long waiting and getting PR.
Now what you did to save PR? Bcoz my condition is also similar as u have and I also need help. Plz help me