+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding spouse after AOR

Umangcanadawp

Mar 11, 2020
Hello there! I am in a similar situation with you. My AOR was in November and I going to get married in early April. From my research, it varies. Some persons receive PPR 3 months after adding their spouse, others in 6 months. Also, as relating the the documents that will be required; here are those I have acquired during my research

An updated IMM0008 Generic and updated IMM5406 "Additional Family Information" form for you

An updated IMM0008 Generic and updated IMM5406 "Additional Family Information" form for spouse

A copy of spouse's brith certificate

A copy of marriage certificate

Photographs of wedding ceremony, reception, invites, honeymoon etc

Proof of relationship- emails, texts, photos- any documentation/proof of relationship

A copy of spouse's valid passport

Police certificates of spouse

Upfront medical for Spouse

Travel history for spouse

Letter of explanation

Fees.

If you want to keep in touch to see how my timeline will be affected just let me know. Mine is about to change since I will be getting married in a week!
Do you have any idea in how much time do we have to submit documents for spouse ? Is there any deadline ?

Reactions: darryl200

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Do you have any idea in how much time do we have to submit documents for spouse ? Is there any deadline ?
It'd be impossible for there to be a deadline for this.

I mean, this is only to be done if you get married while your PR is being processed (after AOR). You're supposed to let IRCC as soon as you change your marital status. Once you do so, they'll reply and let you know what documentation you must submit if you wish to add your new spouse to your application as a dependent.

They usually reply within a week.

Umangcanadawp

Mar 11, 2020
It'd be impossible for there to be a deadline for this.

I mean, this is only to be done if you get married while your PR is being processed (after AOR). You're supposed to let IRCC as soon as you change your marital status. Once you do so, they'll reply and let you know what documentation you must submit if you wish to add your new spouse to your application as a dependent.

They usually reply within a week.

Umangcanadawp

Mar 11, 2020
after getting AOR i inform to IRCC that I got married through web form and I got mail from them to submit documents of my spouse. On flip side all documents are under progress for changes. So I am wondering is there any deadline to submit it or not. And how can I submit those required documents.

nkaspvk62

Nov 13, 2019
Hello All,
AOR - MAY 18, CEC

Added spouse after AOR.
Got ghost update on Feb 17, ADR changed to NA.
Criminality & Security still in progress

Do you guys have any idea how long it takes to receive PPR or landing email? Thanks

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
after getting AOR i inform to IRCC that I got married through web form and I got mail from them to submit documents of my spouse. On flip side all documents are under progress for changes. So I am wondering is there any deadline to submit it or not. And how can I submit those required documents.
The idea is that you should at least inform IRCC as soon as possible about your change in marital status.

I am not aware of any deadline, I'have seen some people in the forum who were given 30 days to submit these documents or so. In my case it was not like this, I was just told to submit the documents if I wished to add my spouse to my application as a dependent.

This is exactly the response I received when I used the WebForm about my change in marital status:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to send your add-on request through the IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:

Useful tips

• If you need information to fill out the forms, please consult the Fill out the forms section of the instruction guide found in the application kit that you have initially used to apply.
  • If the newly eligible family member is a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child who is already a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, only a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship and a letter of explanation are required.
  • It may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.
We hope you will find this information helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way you submit these documents is by using as many WebForms as needed. In my case it took 4. Because there is a limit in the total size of the documents (I think 3.5 MB overall) you will surely need at least a couple WebForms to do this).

Also, I would suggest that as soon as you get married to gather the documents and have them translated (if needed). Since you don't need any supporting documentation for Education or Work Experience, it should be pretty easy. It took me about 1 week (due to translations).

I took a month to do this. Even if they have finished processing your application you are okay because this would just mean they would re-open your file and assess the supporting documentation for your new dependent and then take a final decision.

Reactions: vnkt_krish

A1495

Nov 18, 2019
The idea is that you should at least inform IRCC as soon as possible about your change in marital status.

I am not aware of any deadline, I'have seen some people in the forum who were given 30 days to submit these documents or so. In my case it was not like this, I was just told to submit the documents if I wished to add my spouse to my application as a dependent.

This is exactly the response I received when I used the WebForm about my change in marital status:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to send your add-on request through the IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:

Useful tips

• If you need information to fill out the forms, please consult the Fill out the forms section of the instruction guide found in the application kit that you have initially used to apply.
  • If the newly eligible family member is a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child who is already a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, only a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship and a letter of explanation are required.
  • It may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.
We hope you will find this information helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way you submit these documents is by using as many WebForms as needed. In my case it took 4. Because there is a limit in the total size of the documents (I think 3.5 MB overall) you will surely need at least a couple WebForms to do this).

Also, I would suggest that as soon as you get married to gather the documents and have them translated (if needed). Since you don't need any supporting documentation for Education or Work Experience, it should be pretty easy. It took me about 1 week (due to translations).

I took a month to do this. Even if they have finished processing your application you are okay because this would just mean they would re-open your file and assess the supporting documentation for your new dependent and then take a final decision.
WHAT DID YOU WRITE FOR LETTER OF EXPLANATION?

A1495

Nov 18, 2019
The kit might vary significantly from case to case but in my case, the following were requested off me:

1. Processing fee and Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) for your spouse or CLP
2. A recent photograph of your spouse or common-law partner (CLP)
3. Forms:
- Updated Generic Application Form for Canada IMM 0008 for yourself and your spouse or common-law partner (CLP);
- Updated Additional Family Information Form IMM 5406 for yourself and your spouse or common-law partner (CLP);
- A completed and signed by your spouse or common-law partner (CLP)Schedule A Background/Declaration IMM 5669;
- Supplementary Information Your Travels form IMM5562 E for your spouse or common-law
partner (CLP);
- If applicable: A completed and signed IMM4509 Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union.

4. Documents
- Copy of your spouse’s or CLP’s birth certificate;
- Copy of your spouse’s or CLP’s valid passport;
- If applicable: Copy of your marriage certificate;
- If your spouse or CLP was previously married, copy of their divorce certificate.

5. Police certificate
6. Please provide a completed Principal Applicant Relationship Assessment Questionnaire &
Spouse Relationship Assessment Questionnaire (attached).

7. Evidence of the relationship between you and your spouse, such as:
- Relationship photos: Wedding photographs depicting all the rituals of a traditional wedding, wedding reception and post wedding photographs, commitment ceremony photos from outings
together trips, honeymoon, etc. (10–15 photos max);
- If you are living together, evidence such as copy of bills, bank statements, lease agreement, drivers licenses showing your names and address (10–15 pages max).

8. Medical certificate
DID YOU SUBMIT YOUR SPOUSE MEDICAL AND PCC WITH THIS KIT OF DOCUMENTS?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
DID YOU SUBMIT YOUR SPOUSE MEDICAL AND PCC WITH THIS KIT OF DOCUMENTS?
You should. The police Certificate is required at this stage. Medical exam is not, but is highly recommended to get an upfront exam and submit the eMedical tracking sheet along with the rest of the documents.

WHAT DID YOU WRITE FOR LETTER OF EXPLANATION?
Just a letter saying I got married and was submitting all these documents to add my spouse to my application, and listed all the documents I would be uploading along with it.

A1495

Nov 18, 2019
You should. The police Certificate is required at this stage. Medical exam is not, but is highly recommended to get an upfront exam and submit the eMedical tracking sheet along with the rest of the documents.

Just a letter saying I got married and was submitting all these documents to add my spouse to my application, and listed all the documents I would be uploading along with it.
thanks brother..

A1495

Nov 18, 2019
Here's my timeline:
AOR - May 2nd
MEP - June 11th
BIL - Not yet
Married on May 23rd
Raised a request to add spouse to my application on June 1st
Request for ADR - June 12th
Submitted documents - June 30th

Have others received a BIL request at least?
could please share, what did you submit for letter of explanation?

A1495

Nov 18, 2019
Hello, I thought I'd share my time-line.

In my case after adding my spouse, it took only 10 business days to have my application approved. I added her after AOR.

Principal Applicant:
  • ITA: 01-05-2019
  • AOR: 02-05-2019 (up-front medicals)
  • Medicals Passed: 18/06/2019
  • RCMP request (submitted): 18/06/2019 (03/07/2019)
Spouse's Details:
  • Married: 14/12/2019 (married after application submitted)
  • Dependant spouse added: 20/01/2020 (up-front medicals)
  • Medicals Passed: 29/01/2020
  • Biometrics Requested (Taken): 31/01/2020 (03/02/2020)
  • Passport requested: 04/05/2020
Final Decision: 03/02/2020
Processing time: 9 months and 1 day (278 days)
could please provide sample for letter of explanation?

A1495

Nov 18, 2019
Hello, I thought I'd share my time-line.

In my case after adding my spouse, it took only 10 business days to have my application approved. I added her after AOR.

Principal Applicant:
  • ITA: 01-05-2019
  • AOR: 02-05-2019 (up-front medicals)
  • Medicals Passed: 18/06/2019
  • RCMP request (submitted): 18/06/2019 (03/07/2019)
Spouse's Details:
  • Married: 14/12/2019 (married after application submitted)
  • Dependant spouse added: 20/01/2020 (up-front medicals)
  • Medicals Passed: 29/01/2020
  • Biometrics Requested (Taken): 31/01/2020 (03/02/2020)
  • Passport requested: 04/05/2020
Final Decision: 03/02/2020
Processing time: 9 months and 1 day (278 days)
After submitting documents for spouse though web form, how much time it will take for u to get request of medical and biometric of your spouse OR is IRCC update our profile that she has been added to your profile.?