+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Add partner as common law now or sponsor later?

barnicole85

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
Other
I'm sure this has been asked before but I cannot find a clear answer for my kind of situation so was hoping someone might be able to answer based on their experience.

I currently have an application processing under CEC. When I received, the ITA and subsequently submitted my application (September 2017), I had only just moved in with my boyfriend (we had been living together about 1 month but dating for 18 months). He is currently on a work permit due to expire in May 2019.

At that time we decided not to apply together as we had only been living together for a short time, my work permit was expiring in October 2017 and due to timing we thought it was easier if I applied by myself. I have since got a bridging work permit and am currently waiting on an FBI check which has been requested to be sent in by March 2018.

In the meantime we were talking and realised that perhaps we should add him to my application as we have now been living together for 6 months. Unfortunately, he cannot apply for CEC as his job falls under category D in the NOC codes nor do we think he would qualify for the other streams.

My question is, should we add him to my application now? Or should we wait until I receive PR and then I can sponsor him after we have lived together for a year? We think we have enough proof for "common law".

Should I raise a CSE and ask these questions?

Any advice, or insight or links for information would be great!

Thanks. :)

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You cannot add him to your application now as you simply do not qualify as common law at this point in time. Once you qualify you can add him at any time by raising a CSE and informing IRCC of wanting to add your common law partner to your application. As long as you do not complete the landing procedure you are free to add him so you both get PR.

Reactions: barnicole85

barnicole85

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
Other
Thanks, if that's the case do I need to do anything with my application now? Or just wait it out?

I will most likely get PR before we have lived together for a year.