+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Activating PR/landing scenario - advice please!

vurtuwant

Mar 17, 2016
Does anyone know if it's possible to land to activate your PR, and then come back at a later date (without having received the PR card) if you are from a visa-exempt country?
I'm British and hoping it might be possible to land for a vacation before my COPR expires, return to the UK to continue to save funds and job hunt and have the PR card sent to a friend, and then re-enter as a tourist, to collect the PR card or have a friend send it on to me?
Anyone know if this is possible/impossible?? I only have 7 months to land because my COPR took a while to come through, so I'm worried it's not enough time to get set up properly for "permanent" landing...
Any input, help or ideas would be very much appreciated!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
vurtuwant said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to land to activate your PR, and then come back at a later date (without having received the PR card) if you are from a visa-exempt country?
I'm British and hoping it might be possible to land for a vacation before my COPR expires, return to the UK to continue to save funds and job hunt and have the PR card sent to a friend, and then re-enter as a tourist, to collect the PR card or have a friend send it on to me?
Anyone know if this is possible/impossible?? I only have 7 months to land because my COPR took a while to come through, so I'm worried it's not enough time to get set up properly for "permanent" landing...
Any input, help or ideas would be very much appreciated!
It's fine to do, but after Sept 29 eTA becomes compulsory so you would not be able to return to Canada as a tourist. You would need your actual PR card (your friend could courier it to you) or a PR Travel Document, to board a plane to Canada.

vurtuwant

Mar 17, 2016
That's so helpful. Thanks so much.

Rob_TO, could I not just apply for the eTA and still return as a tourist? Do I have to say anything specific at the border, are they ok with you not being present in Canada to receive the PR card and having it mailed to a friend/mailing address in Canada?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
vurtuwant said:

Rob_TO, could I not just apply for the eTA and still return as a tourist? Do I have to say anything specific at the border, are they ok with you not being present in Canada to receive the PR card and having it mailed to a friend/mailing address in Canada?
Once you land as a PR, any eTA you got before is automatically cancelled.

You don't need to say anything at the border when landing, just give the address and that should be it. When the card arrives, your friend can courier it to you. Or if there are problems receiving the card, you can just apply for a PR Travel Doc in the UK to return to Canada after Sept 29.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
vurtuwant said:

You can't apply for eTA since you are a permanent resident.