+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Activating COPR - Flagpoling

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Hello there,
I'm heading over the Rainbow Bridge tomorrow with my COPR and just need to check whether I need to have any sort of visa to cross into the U.S. to do so?

Many thanks in advance for info.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

No, you don't require a US visa, as you don't even need to enter the US when flagpoling. You let them know that you are flagpoling and they will give you an administrative refusal.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

No, you don't require a US visa, as you don't even need to enter the US when flagpoling. You let them know that you are flagpoling and they will give you an administrative refusal.
Does that refusal count as a denial for entry to another country when applying post ITA? I flag poled two years ago to activate a work permit and am now mid-way through my PR application.

Or is it considered voluntary?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ozlis said:
Does that refusal count as a denial for entry to another country when applying post ITA? I flag poled two years ago to activate a work permit and am now mid-way through my PR application.

1. No, it is not a refusal

Andy.cic

Oct 26, 2015
ALBERTA
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV 1, 2015
Doc's Request.
NOV 24, 2015 IMM5669 A requested
AOR Received.
NOV 1, 2015
Passport Req..
FEB 01, 2016
LANDED..........
FEB 25, 2016
ozlis said:

That's what confused me, thats why i will probably do my landing at the CIC office in Edmonton. Sure it will take couple of weeks to get the appointment.

I plan on visiting US after i get my pr (I am indian citizen residing in canada) hence will not do the flagpoling as technically it is a denied entry and all of your future immigration application i would have to mention that.

Just my 2 cents if you are not in a hurry for landing, do it in the CIC office (i think there is one in Etobicoke or Mississauga)

Andy

Daniel-buoy

Jun 11, 2015
Andy.cic said:
That's what confused me, thats why i will probably do my landing at the CIC office in Edmonton. Sure it will take couple of weeks to get the appointment.

I plan on visiting US after i get my pr (I am indian citizen residing in canada) hence will not do the flagpoling as technically it is a denied entry and all of your future immigration application i would have to mention that.

Just my 2 cents if you are not in a hurry for landing, do it in the CIC office (i think there is one in Etobicoke or Mississauga)

Andy
I think it makes sense to do the landing at CIC office. So for People living in GTA, Mississauga office is the closest one.

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Andy.cic said:

Andy
Many thanks everyone. Can I just ask why the CIC office would be better? I'm just outside the GTA but would like to take up a potential job offer asap.

Andy.cic

Oct 26, 2015
ALBERTA
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV 1, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
NOV 1, 2015
Passport Req..
FEB 01, 2016
LANDED..........
FEB 25, 2016
TCK said:
Many thanks everyone. Can I just ask why the CIC office would be better? I'm just outside the GTA but would like to take up a potential job offer asap.
I just explained that in my comment above.

Anyways below is the link for cic offices

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/help.asp

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Andy.cic said:
I just explained that in my comment above.
Yes, and it contradicts PMM's advice above, and the COPR letter itself. I'll do the deed tomorrow and post here with the result.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As confirmed by US CBP to many others who have done this in the past, an administrative refusal does not count as an actual refusal and does not ever have to be mentioned at all.

Andy.cic

Oct 26, 2015
ALBERTA
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV 1, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
NOV 1, 2015
Passport Req..
FEB 01, 2016
LANDED..........
FEB 25, 2016
TCK said:
Yes, and it contradicts PMM's advice above, and the COPR letter itself. I'll do the deed tomorrow and post here with the result.
All good bro. If you can, please confirm with US officers at the border if we need to mention the 'administration refusal' in the future application for US visitor visa.

Good luck and congrats.

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Flagpoling and landing at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara went very smoothly indeed. We asked the U.S. Agent about the administrative refusal and he said that it wouldn't be considered as a negative in any future visa application to the U.S. at all. We waited for an hour or so to be seen when we got back to the Canadian side (it was a busy Saturday after all), but that was fine.

Something which did come up was the need to produce proof of funds, particularly for those entering under FSW, and even if you have documentation with a salary / expected salary on it. I've seen elsewhere on the forum that PoF isn't always required, but I'd certainly advise taking it if you have it.

So we're all done. Thanks for any previous advice during this pretty crazy process, and good luck with your own applications.

Cheers. :)

vsu

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TCK said:
Flagpoling and landing at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara went very smoothly indeed. We asked the U.S. Agent about the administrative refusal and he said that it wouldn't be considered as a negative in any future visa application to the U.S. at all. We waited for an hour or so to be seen when we got back to the Canadian side (it was a busy Saturday after all), but that was fine.

Something which did come up was the need to produce proof of funds, particularly for those entering under FSW, and even if you have documentation with a salary / expected salary on it. I've seen elsewhere on the forum that PoF isn't always required, but I'd certainly advise taking it if you have it.

So we're all done. Thanks for any previous advice during this pretty crazy process, and good luck with your own applications.

Dear TCK ,

What did you show as proof of funds ? Bank Statements or also pay slips / company offer letter and so on ?

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Hi,
We showed a current bank statement via a mobile app, plus a letter confirming employment and salary - both were asked for by the agent as soon as we arrived, and then later by another in the more detailed landing process. Also, they were very clear that any bank statement or letter with a salary detail should be dated within the last month or so.

SSG

Aug 2, 2013
TCK said:

Thank you for providing valuable information. Especially heads up on Proof of Funds.

I have a question. Which option would be better if you have US visa.

1. To flagpole and get the administrative refusal.
or
2. Actually go to US side shop, eat, spend some time and come back for landing.