+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accompanying spouse and open work permit

vivo

Star Member
Oct 23, 2015
Hi

I'm due to start MBA at Concordia in September. My husband and two children will be accompanying me. From all that I have read, my husband would be entitled to an open work visa should my study permit be granted. Looking at the application forms to be completed (the work permit asks for details of intended job when he does not yet have one) I am wondering whether it would be better to apply for OWP AFTER we enter Canada instead of before. Has anyone had experience of this? Do you think chances of approval would be affected by timing of application. The thing is he may not even work - we just want the back-up in case finances become tight.

Also on the list of required documents to submit, under purpose of travel it asks for proof of temporary visit such as return ticket or proof of medical visit. As my course is for 2 years, we will be going on one-way tickets. What type of documents could we submit here to give proof that this is a temporary stay? Would my student CAQ and acceptance letter suffice?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share knowledge and experience.

oshin

Sep 22, 2015
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2015
Med's Request
08-12-2015 Upfront
Med's Done....
24-12-2015 Passed
Passport Req..
21-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-03-2016
vivo said:
Hi

I'm due to start MBA at Concordia in September. My husband and two children will be accompanying me. From all that I have read, my husband would be entitled to an open work visa should my study permit be granted. Looking at the application forms to be completed (the work permit asks for details of intended job when he does not yet have one) I am wondering whether it would be better to apply for OWP AFTER we enter Canada instead of before. Has anyone had experience of this? Do you think chances of approval would be affected by timing of application. The thing is he may not even work - we just want the back-up in case finances become tight.

Also on the list of required documents to submit, under purpose of travel it asks for proof of temporary visit such as return ticket or proof of medical visit. As my course is for 2 years, we will be going on one-way tickets. What type of documents could we submit here to give proof that this is a temporary stay? Would my student CAQ and acceptance letter suffice?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share knowledge and experience.
Hi Vivo, I have applied together with my husband and 9 year old son initially and I'm also 7 months pregnant during that time. We were all approved (God's grace). With regards to your query of your spouse OWP, just leave the employment details blank same with what I did when I filled out the form. Also for the purpose of travel, what we've attached there is my husband's narrative purpose of travel letter together with our properties as proof of family ties. With regards to my son's purpose of travel, he also wrote (hand written) for a letter of why he would like to accompany me in Canada.

Hope this helps.

vivo

Star Member
Oct 23, 2015
Thanks for getting back. I think my main concern is that we don't really have concrete ties to our home country (UK) except that our families are all there and I have professional ties but not a waiting job. We don't have property and have lived overseas for a number of years. Did you use an immigration lawyer. I'm wondering if I should at least get some advice to maximize chances.

Après

Apr 27, 2018
Hi Vivo, I have applied together with my husband and 9 year old son initially and I'm also 7 months pregnant during that time. We were all approved (God's grace). With regards to your query of your spouse OWP, just leave the employment details blank same with what I did when I filled out the form. Also for the purpose of travel, what we've attached there is my husband's narrative purpose of travel letter together with our properties as proof of family ties. With regards to my son's purpose of travel, he also wrote (hand written) for a letter of why he would like to accompany me in Canada.

Hope this helps.
Please I will be glad if you can respond , did you fill all seperate document for your son aswell?

oshin

Sep 22, 2015
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2015
Med's Request
08-12-2015 Upfront
Med's Done....
24-12-2015 Passed
Passport Req..
21-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-03-2016
Please I will be glad if you can respond , did you fill all seperate document for your son aswell?
Yes, you have to fill out separate forms and upload for each dependent.

Darsh007

May 1, 2018
Yes, you have to fill out separate forms and upload for each dependent.
Hi there,
Hope You doing well.My name is Darshan and I came here as student and I submitted my visa file offline.Now I want to sponsor my spouse so I need to create my cic ac and add her there or create her ac and do all the process for here.??And I'm doing all the process on behalf of her so I have to declare that or not..
Request you to also tell me the full process and what are the documents and proofs need for these applications.I'm very much thankful to you for this help.Thanks

oshin

Sep 22, 2015
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2015
Med's Request
08-12-2015 Upfront
Med's Done....
24-12-2015 Passed
Passport Req..
21-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-03-2016
Hi there,
Hope You doing well.My name is Darshan and I came here as student and I submitted my visa file offline.Now I want to sponsor my spouse so I need to create my cic ac and add her there or create her ac and do all the process for here.??And I'm doing all the process on behalf of her so I have to declare that or not..
Request you to also tell me the full process and what are the documents and proofs need for these applications.I'm very much thankful to you for this help.Thanks
Hello Darsh, I'm no expert on this but in that case since your paper was approved already, you have to create an account for her. I did that for my baby that we've applied separately. I did all the paperworks. You can declare it, its just 1 form that you need the spouse signature, no big deal. Just answer the eligibility - http://onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eapp/eapp.do and go from there. Online is much simple than paper application. Just upload whatever documents they require based on your response and it will be tailored for your spouse's application.

Reactions: Darsh007