+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accompanying family member

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
its better to obtain written authorization just in case. i’ve personally spoken to embassy staff in my country and to CBSA agents. The embassy staff said that the written authorization isn’t required, but the CBSA agents said that it is. make of that what you will
It does say on their official site that no authorisation is required for accompanying immediate family member. If needed, print out thier webpage to show to border officer
Also, getting authorisation takes a while and you are not guaranteed to get an answer. I have a friend who needs to go meet her husband in Canada and has applied for authorisation since April - still waiting even after sending multiple webforms.

From CIC's website updated on July 14th 2021 ( https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students#students):

If immediate family members want to be with you in Canada
They don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with you. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). For example, they’ll help you get established and support you in Canada.

If your immediate family member will study or work in Canada
You must submit all of your applications together when you apply online.
If they won’t study or work
They may still need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa to travel to Canada.
If they need a visitor visa, you should include their application when you apply online for your study permit.
If they need an eTA, they must apply for one separately.

Reactions: swarapriyan

MTB101

Star Member
Jun 22, 2021
It does say on their official site that no authorisation is required for accompanying immediate family member. If needed, print out thier webpage to show to border officer
Also, getting authorisation takes a while and you are not guaranteed to get an answer. I have a friend who needs to go meet her husband in Canada and has applied for authorisation since April - still waiting even after sending multiple webforms.

From CIC's website updated on July 14th 2021 ( https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students#students):

If immediate family members want to be with you in Canada
They don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with you. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). For example, they’ll help you get established and support you in Canada.

If your immediate family member will study or work in Canada
You must submit all of your applications together when you apply online.
If they won’t study or work
They may still need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa to travel to Canada.
If they need a visitor visa, you should include their application when you apply online for your study permit.
If they need an eTA, they must apply for one separately.
Yes exactly i hav also read the same that if travel same time with student thn no need of written authorization

IskoIska

Jun 23, 2021
Yes exactly i hav also read the same that if travel same time with student thn no need of written authorization
What is the harm if you request for one?

I requested for my spouse and I have stated that we will travel together as a family. I received the authorization letter after 14 days. If not required, why would they issue for my spouse?

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019

I requested for my spouse and I have stated that we will travel together as a family. I received the authorization letter after 14 days. If not required, why would they issue for my spouse?
yes, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

MTB101

Star Member
Jun 22, 2021

Could you please let me know the process how to get it?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
And does my 4 years kid also need this written authorization? Or only my husband need it?
Just to provide some update for you:

Following the advice here to try and get the Authorised Travel Letter just to be safe, I emailed IRCC yesterday to confirm if my spouse (he applied for SOWP after mine and the kids' applications was approved, so he didn't apply with us) needed an authorization letter. They replied today that he doesn't need authorisation and I don't have to apply for him.
BUT,
My youngest child who was issued a visitor's visa (other kids have SPs) requires an Authorization letter, which I found strange cos he applied with me and their website clearly says no need for the letter if they applied with the student. They attached his Authorization letter in their response.

So you might actually need the letters for anyone in your family who would be travelling on Visitor visa. I was only worried about my spouse who applied separately but it turns out he doesn't need the letter cos he has a OWP.

PS: I was unable to submit a webform cos the site was glitchy, so I emailed my local IRCC directly. If they've responded to your webform in the past, you should have the email address.

ezechem24

Mar 6, 2020
Just to provide some update for you:

Following the advice here to try and get the Authorised Travel Letter just to be safe, I emailed IRCC yesterday to confirm if my spouse (he applied for SOWP after mine and the kids' applications was approved, so he didn't apply with us) needed an authorization letter. They replied today that he doesn't need authorisation and I don't have to apply for him.
BUT,
My youngest child who was issued a visitor's visa (other kids have SPs) requires an Authorization letter, which I found strange cos he applied with me and their website clearly says no need for the letter if they applied with the student. They attached his Authorization letter in their response.

So you might actually need the letters for anyone in your family who would be travelling on Visitor visa. I was only worried about my spouse who applied separately but it turns out he doesn't need the letter cos he has a OWP.

PS: I was unable to submit a webform cos the site was glitchy, so I emailed my local IRCC directly. If they've responded to your webform in the past, you should have the email address.
Hello, have you gotten the written authorization for your child? If yes, how long did it take. I am in a similar situation. I have a Work Permit, spouse OWP and my 2 kids Visitors Visa. Your kind advice will be appreciated.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello, have you gotten the written authorization for your child? If yes, how long did it take. I am in a similar situation. I have a Work Permit, spouse OWP and my 2 kids Visitors Visa. Your kind advice will be appreciated.
I emailed IRCC yesterday. They emailed me the letter today. My local IRCC is usually pretty fast with responses when emailed directly.

ezechem24

Mar 6, 2020
I emailed IRCC yesterday. They emailed me the letter today. My local IRCC is usually pretty fast with responses when emailed directly.
Wow. If you dont mind sharing the email with me and possibly the sample letter sent. I sent mine on Saturday and no update yet.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Wow. If you dont mind sharing the email with me and possibly the sample letter sent. I sent mine on Saturday and no update yet.
The email address is for my local VO, so unless your LVO is Pretoria (South Africa) Office, it's of no use to you.
The letter is the standard Authorization letter that is sent for everyone that is approved for exemption.

MTB101

Star Member
Jun 22, 2021
The email address is for my local VO, so unless your LVO is Pretoria (South Africa) Office, it's of no use to you.
The letter is the standard Authorization letter that is sent for everyone that is approved for exemption.
From where i can get email address of local VO. I am from Pakistan

MTB101

Star Member
Jun 22, 2021
If you could please share the format of letter you have sent to IRCC. Many thanks (tulip_90@live.com)

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
If you could please share the format of letter you have sent to IRCC. Many thanks (tulip_90@live.com)
It was a very straightforward inquiry. Here's the text :

Hello,

I tried to send this via webform but it kept failing with an error.

I have been approved for a study permit and will be travelling with my family in a few weeks. My children applied with me and they were also issued their permits. My husband also applied for SOWP last month based on my study permit and he was approved.

I would like to know if I need to apply for Travel Authorization for my husband and children to travel with me or not?

Kind Regards,