+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accompanying family member

MTB101

Star Member
Jun 22, 2021
Does a spouse of Canadian student need any type of written authorization from IRCC if he/she going to travel Canada with student?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Does a spouse of Canadian student need any type of written authorization from IRCC if he/she going to travel Canada with student?
Canadian student? Or international student studying in Canada?

Canadians don't need authorization.

For International students, did your family apply together with you? If yes, they do not need authorization.

If not, and they are accompanying on visit visa or eTA, they need to request authorization and indicate they are going to help student settle down etc.

Reactions: RumezaJ

MTB101

Star Member
Jun 22, 2021
Sorry an international student. We all applied together, i get student visa and my kid and husband get visitor visa and we are plan to travel Canada in August before fall semester starts.Do the need any written authorization?

Reactions: RumezaJ

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Sorry an international student. We all applied together, i get student visa and my kid and husband get visitor visa and we are plan to travel Canada in August before fall semester starts.Do the need any written authorization?
Nope! You are good to go :) .
On a separate note, is your husband intending to stay with you(and work) in Canada? If so, he should have applied for a SOWP upfront, as I hear it's now extremely difficult to convert his visiting visa to owp once you are inland.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Is it possible to apply for SOWP before travel there if he already get visit visa
Yes but too late now. You won't get it approved before your trip. What is the validity of their TRVs, is it same as yours? You can attempt to put in a SOWP once you are inland, and visitor records for your kids after 6 months.

MTB101

Star Member
Jun 22, 2021
Yes but too late now. You won't get it approved before your trip. What is the validity of their TRVs, is it same as yours? You can attempt to put in a SOWP once you are inland, and visitor records for your kids after 6 months.
Yes validity of TRVs is same as mine 2 years

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
What about visitors record? Who can apply for that and Is it easy to get these days?
Nothing is easy to get these days unfortunately, but visitor's records should not be hard since they are accompanying you. When your family enters Canada, the border officer will stamp a date on their passport. That's how long they can stay for at a time. You can apply for visitor records for the kids to extend their stay beyond the stamped date. if not stamped, they can stay for 6 months at a time, but need to apply for the record before that time is up. See here for more: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

Your husband cannot work on a visitor's visa. Is he not planning to work?

MTB101

Star Member
Jun 22, 2021
Nothing is easy to get these days unfortunately, but visitor's records should not be hard since they are accompanying you. When your family enters Canada, the border officer will stamp a date on their passport. That's how long they can stay for at a time. You can apply for visitor records for the kids to extend their stay beyond the stamped date. if not stamped, they can stay for 6 months at a time, but need to apply for the record before that time is up. See here for more: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

Your husband cannot work on a visitor's visa. Is he not planning to work?
He is interested in working but as you told that it is difficult to get SOWP thn wat are the other options

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
After how many days he can apply for SOWP? And does he can also apply for visitor record?
After how many days he can apply for SOWP? Sorry, I don't know. my husband applied for his prior to us travelling. It took 7 weeks to be approved.
And does he can also apply for visitor record? Yes he can, 30 days prior to the date stamped on his passport.

MTB101

Star Member
Jun 22, 2021
After how many days he can apply for SOWP? Sorry, I don't know. my husband applied for his prior to us travelling. It took 7 weeks to be approved.
And does he can also apply for visitor record? Yes he can, 30 days prior to the date stamped on his passport.
Thats gud

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
its better to obtain written authorization just in case. i’ve personally spoken to embassy staff in my country and to CBSA agents. The embassy staff said that the written authorization isn’t required, but the CBSA agents said that it is. make of that what you will