+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accompanying family member on study permit

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
Does anyone have any experience entering Canada as an immediate family member of a study permit holder?

My sister has a newly approved student permit. My mother needs to accompany her (as a visitor) next week, before the Sep 7 opening.

According to IRCC, my mother can enter without written authorization needed, but I'm worried about her being turned away on arrival.

Does anyone have any experience accompanying a family member entering Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
She needs to show essential travel as this is new because up until a week ago, one needed written authorization. Does she have a return ticket?

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
She needs to show essential travel as this is new because up until a week ago, one needed written authorization. Does she have a return ticket?
They definitely didn’t need written authorisation since I first looked a few weeks ago. I agree it’s a bit misleading because you need to go specifically into the page for international students and look for the family member section, rather than the main “Am I exempt?” page.

Yes, a flexible return ticket as she hasn't decided precisely how long to stay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They definitely didn’t need written authorisation since I first looked a few weeks ago. I agree it’s a bit misleading because you need to go specifically into the page for international students and look for the family member section, rather than the main “Am I exempt?” page.

Yes, a flexible return ticket as she hasn't decided precisely how long to stay.
Would strongly recommend she has a return ticket with a date.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I just answered a similar question but what I found was authorization was still needed but the link doesn’t go to the special authorization. Can you show me where it says special authorization is no longer needed after August 9
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/foreign-non-us-family-tr
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students#students

Under immediate family…

Some of your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada. You must be in one of the following relationships:

• you’re the spouse or common-law partner of the student
  • you’re the dependent child of the student, or of the student’s spouse or common-law partner
  • you’re the parent or step-parent of the student, or of the student's spouse or common-law partner
  • you’re the guardian or tutor of the student
If travels with you…

They don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with you. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). For example, they’ll help you get established and support you in Canada.