+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accent Reduction ?

nagrish

Star Member
Jun 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
please do not change your accent :D it is who you are!
I speak perfect English and still find it hard to engage in conversation with some Canadians, as our colloquial terms are so different.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
k3ndy said:
It's sad but true. I came here for university and would hear so many international students mention that their English is not really good and they don't know how to practise. However, guess what... they only hang out with people from their own countries and speak in their native language.
This hurts their job opportunities as well. If you have a hard time communicating in English, you will have a hard time working with English coworkers.

8Hannah8

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
kateg said:
This hurts their job opportunities as well. If you have a hard time communicating in English, you will have a hard time working with English coworkers.
Have to disagree to some extent. In Toronto, accent is not a problem at all, and English (well, Canadian born native speakers) co-workers are rather scarce in certain industries. I know it sounds rather ridiculous, but as I work for a bank, pure English is hard to catch.
Obviously, I am not encouraging to relax, you have to imporve English and try to hang out with native speakers, I am just claiming accent should not be discouraging in a process of applying for jobs, trying to communicate etc. I understand why people want to eliminate their accents, I personally don't want to be judged and stereotyped based on the country of my origin as post-USSR has rather negative female image.
Mini-story that has little to do with the accent, but enough with stereotyping:
When I went for my medicals, I mentioned that the application is for PR. When a receptionist saw me, she just assumed I am going for spousal sponsorship and she had to correct it in my form later on. Unfortunately, when someone finally picks up my accent (it got very light after 9 years abroad), I get placed into mail-order bride category.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
8Hannah8 said:
When a receptionist saw me, she just assumed I am going for spousal sponsorship and she had to correct it in my form later on.
This is crazy, but yep..it happens, unfortunately its always easier for people to group a specific nationality into 1 category.