+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accent Reduction ?

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey,
Have any one tried or know of any place for accent reduction for immigrants ?

Jasper23

Jul 6, 2015
I keep seeing their ads ... I think it is something like AccentScience or Speech Science. Best to google it

k3ndy

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just use 'eh' at the end of every sentence. Also, 'Cat' sounds like 'ket'. About is pronounced 'Aboot' :p

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
You don't need to go to a place to reduce the accent. Pay attention to movies and to radio. Think on how they pronounce words, try to imitate.

Record yourself and speak, play it back, hear what you have to polish, do it until perfect, rinse, repeat....

k3ndy said:
Just use 'eh' at the end of every sentence. Also, 'Cat' sounds like 'ket'. About is pronounced 'Aboot' :p
And Toronto is Toronno...

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try making friends with people who are atleast 2nd generation Canadians, and hang around with them 24/7. I am assuming you havent come to Canada to only stick with your own kind

k3ndy

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
Try making friends with people who are atleast 2nd generation Canadians, and hang around with them 24/7. I am assuming you havent come to Canada to only stick with your own kind
It's sad but true. I came here for university and would hear so many international students mention that their English is not really good and they don't know how to practise. However, guess what... they only hang out with people from their own countries and speak in their native language.

Obviously, no practice = no progress

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jalex23 said:
You don't need to go to a place to reduce the accent. Pay attention to movies and to radio. Think on how they pronounce words, try to imitate.

Record yourself and speak, play it back, hear what you have to polish, do it until perfect, rinse, repeat....
+100 ;) This can be done even before you arrive. I used to teach EFL/ESL, and recommended this to my students all the time (it also increases comprehension of colloquial language which you may not have learned in English classes).

Also get out and about and talk to as many people as possible :). It's scary at first when you think you might not be understood, but interacting as much as you can, even if you make mistakes, is really important.

Good luck!

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot for the suggestions but I believe you need proper training to eliminate the accent completely specially if you want to be in a business where communication is the key.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
punk said:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions but I believe you need proper training to eliminate the accent completely specially if you want to be in a business where communication is the key.
I'll beg to disagree. I have an accent in both official languages. I've never tried to eliminate either of them, just to speak clearly, and assimilate country specific colloquialisms/intonations. It's never been a hindrance in the jobs I do (where communication has always been key).

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Lammawitch said:
I'll beg to disagree. I have an accent in both official languages. I've never tried to eliminate either of them, just to speak clearly, and assimilate country specific colloquialisms/intonations. It's never been a hindrance in the jobs I do (where communication has always been key).
same here.. A leopard cannot change its spots. Diversity, isn't Canada all about that??

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polara69 said:
same here.. A leopard cannot change its spots. Diversity, isn't Canada all about that??
You cant compare the two. Leopard spots are due to nature, you cannot change that. Accent is something you nurture, you can change it. So this is not a fair comparison

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
You cant compare the two. Leopard spots are due to nature, you cannot change that. Accent is something you nurture, you can change it. So this is not a fair comparison
Possibly, but I understand what Polara69 meant.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lammawitch said:
Possibly, but I understand what Polara69 meant.

I understand what polara meant too but like I said its not a fair comparison