+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Academic suspension

Sawan654

Mar 14, 2022
Hi , I'm in a academic suspension from Feb till April and my classes are gonna resume from April 12.I got suspension due to not attemding any classes and exams. My classes were started from October(fall term) till Dec2021. I just got my visa on Dec 2021 and after i arrived at Canada on January 2022,i was suspended for winter term.Its been a month i have been working in Canada. I was totally unaware about the restriction or not eligible to work during suspension. Will it affect in future for my PGWP? Or what else consequences will there be ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi , I'm in a academic suspension from Feb till April and my classes are gonna resume from April 12.I got suspension due to not attemding any classes and exams. My classes were started from October(fall term) till Dec2021. I just got my visa on Dec 2021 and after i arrived at Canada on January 2022,i was suspended for winter term.Its been a month i have been working in Canada. I was totally unaware about the restriction or not eligible to work during suspension. Will it affect in future for my PGWP? Or what else consequences will there be ?
If you are suspended and not going to school then you cannot work. You have been working illegally. Stop working. Also, you are not eligible for PGWP because you must maintain full time studies for the duration of your program except the final semester. Working illegally also makes you ineligible.

marleesingh

Star Member
Mar 12, 2021
If you are suspended and not going to school then you cannot work. You have been working illegally. Stop working. Also, you are not eligible for PGWP because you must maintain full time studies for the duration of your program except the final semester. Working illegally also makes you ineligible.
why though? Doesnt person still have maintained status?.
Person is still enrolled at the school. Person never dropped out.
Person is just suspended.
So shouldnt person still be allowed just the 20hours a week to work?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
why though? Doesnt person still have maintained status?.
Person is still enrolled at the school. Person never dropped out.
Person is just suspended.
So shouldnt person still be allowed just the 20hours a week to work?
The person is suspended and not taking any classes. You can work off campus if you are attending classes (called actively studying) or on a scheduled break. Colleges and universities will have it posted on their websites. Here is U of T’s

https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/utscinternational/part-time-suspension-or-leave

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The person is suspended and not taking any classes. You can work off campus if you are attending classes (called actively studying) or on a scheduled break. Colleges and universities will have it posted on their websites. Here is U of T’s

https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/utscinternational/part-time-suspension-or-leave
OP will not be eligible for PGWP due to academic suspension and not being full time for the duration of the program. Also working illegally is a big issue.

Sawan654

Mar 14, 2022
My current university program is for 4 years in University Canada West.My study permit is valid till Dec 2025.If i get refusal for PGWP,What other programs do i have to join in the university? Can i get my study permit extended and is it possible i can get PGWP after if i completed another program maintaining full time student record?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My current university program is for 4 years in University Canada West.My study permit is valid till Dec 2025.If i get refusal for PGWP,What other programs do i have to join in the university? Can i get my study permit extended and is it possible i can get PGWP after if i completed another program maintaining full time student record?
You would want to complete another 2 year post grad diploma. You can get a PGWP if you maintain full-time status for the program with no breaks unless scheduled (eg. summer).

Sawan654

Mar 14, 2022
Is it sure that i can get PGWP after if i complete another program for 2 years as you mentioned? And what about extending my study permit for those another 2 years, can i get that too?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is it sure that i can get PGWP after if i complete another program for 2 years as you mentioned? And what about extending my study permit for those another 2 years, can i get that too?
Yes, you should be able to get a PGWP. The reason I said should is that you have been working illegally so whether IRCC catches it will not be known until you apply for a PGWP.

Another option is once you are finished with academic suspension then attend one semester at Canada West. Get admission into a public university or college, and start a new program. Change the conditions of your study permit to the new DLI. You have to be full-time (don't fail classes).

You should be able to extend your permit but again will depend on whether your academic suspension is factored in as well as your illegal work and whether you maintain full-time status for your Canada West program.

Sawan654

Mar 14, 2022
If i change the university will IRCC still be able to know i worked illegally and won’t that be a problem for PGWP too?

Sawan654

Mar 14, 2022
Hi, i want to know if i change the university as you mention to the DLI and maintain full time student record without failing any term or course with good CGPA will i be able to get PGWP ? What are the chances and consequences ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If i change the university will IRCC still be able to know i worked illegally and won’t that be a problem for PGWP too?
You have a SIN number so if they want to find out what you were doing during an academic suspension, they can find out. Will they do that, don't know. You have some big decisions to make, and no one on this forum can advise you. You may want to talk to an immigration professional.

You will not be eligible for a PGWP with your current program.

karam1310

May 9, 2023
hi so what about you now did u take any other programme or u got your pgwp i am in same situation