+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About inadmissible spouse sponsorship

Egna7711

Star Member
Dec 23, 2020
i have known people who were removed from Canada despite pregnancy or having a Canadian born child
depends on your backgrounds, serious criminality or organized crimes cannot be approved H&C, mispresentation does have a chance with H&C considering best interest of child, case by case nth for certain

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
depends on your backgrounds, serious criminality or organized crimes cannot be approved H&C, mispresentation does have a chance with H&C considering best interest of child, case by case nth for certain
But your comment that "Canada loves babies" is not a useful comment. While it is a factor in H&C analyses, if the baby is established with the mother outside of Canada, and hasn't lived in Canada, there may not be a compelling reason to abridge the inadmissibility.

What is dangerous in your comment is that it continues the myth that people facing removal from Canada should get pregnant to stay in Canada, or that getting pregnant removes "red flags" in spousal sponsorships, which basically leads to children being born for immigration purposes, which is a horrible outcome.

ArianeCurim

Nov 3, 2019
But your comment that "Canada loves babies" is not a useful comment. While it is a factor in H&C analyses, if the baby is established with the mother outside of Canada, and hasn't lived in Canada, there may not be a compelling reason to abridge the inadmissibility.

What is dangerous in your comment is that it continues the myth that people facing removal from Canada should get pregnant to stay in Canada, or that getting pregnant removes "red flags" in spousal sponsorships, which basically leads to children being born for immigration purposes, which is a horrible outcome.
That’s true I strongly believe it wouldn’t remove red flags in spousal sponsorships, I know some people who went through that and didn’t have success and got the process refused. I would never have a baby just to overcome my Inadmissibility, that’s awful! My relationship is genuine, me and my boyfriend need to know each other first better, build a life together before to have a baby and we are also still Very young!

Reactions: k.h.p.

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020

The government's general nonchalant attitude towards those disgraceful behaviours (i.e. the instances of anchor babies in BC, them calling illegal immigration from the US into Quebec and Manitoba, "irregular" migration) has unfortunately not helped in the slightest.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The government's general nonchalant attitude towards those disgraceful behaviours (i.e. the instances of anchor babies in BC, them calling illegal immigration from the US into Quebec and Manitoba, "irregular" migration) has unfortunately not helped in the slightest.
There is no such thing as an "anchor baby" in BC. There is birth tourism, but having a child does not provide an "anchor" for a parent to become a PR in any way until the child is at least 18, has had 3 years of work history and income above the sponsorship income line. And that's last year's rules, who knows what they'd be in 23 years...

...additionally, we're on a forum full of people wanting to come to Canada. Some understanding of the plight of refugees - only one element of your string of anti-immigration sentence above - would be appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no such thing as an "anchor baby" in BC. There is birth tourism, but having a child does not provide an "anchor" for a parent to become a PR in any way until the child is at least 18, has had 3 years of work history and income above the sponsorship income line. And that's last year's rules, who knows what they'd be in 23 years...

...additionally, we're on a forum full of people wanting to come to Canada. Some understanding of the plight of refugees - only one element of your string of anti-immigration sentence above - would be appreciated.
Don't think most are in favour of birth tourism. It has risen exponentially and it essentially being used to secure domestic tuition, a back-up plan if things go badly in their home country, free medical care if needed and a way to get money out of some countries all while while the parents have never been taxpayers. In some cases the children are anchor babies because parents attempt to apply for H&C on the best interest of the child. Some are approved. Although many coming for tourism plan for the expense of having an uncomplicated pregnancy and a problem free birth when there are problem,s especially use of the NICU, FNs often leave with bills for hundreds of thousands of dollars for hospitals to absorb. There are limited spaces and staff in both L&D and the NICU so those with provincial healthcare could have to go to another hospital if L&D is full and babies can be transferred to the US or other Canadian city if there are no NICU beds. The taxpayers get the bill for US treatment and the family who had status to live in Canada may have to relocate to another city or even country. Hospitals plan their resources based on those who are receiving provincial healthcare and the size of the local population. When you get hospitals with 1/4 of their births from FN it seems ridiculous for the government deny that this is a problem. Would add that most Canadians want our borders to be respected for a variety of reasons. Although there are some refugees that have crossed borders irregularly there were also a large number of economic immigrants.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Don't think most are in favour of birth tourism. It has risen exponentially and it essentially being used to secure domestic tuition, a back-up plan if things go badly in their home country, free medical care if needed and a way to get money out of some countries all while while the parents have never been taxpayers. In some cases the children are anchor babies because parents attempt to apply for H&C on the best interest of the child. Some are approved. Although many coming for tourism plan for the expense of having an uncomplicated pregnancy and a problem free birth when there are problem,s especially use of the NICU, FNs often leave with bills for hundreds of thousands of dollars for hospitals to absorb. There are limited spaces and staff in both L&D and the NICU so those with provincial healthcare could have to go to another hospital if L&D is full and babies can be transferred to the US or other Canadian city if there are no NICU beds. The taxpayers get the bill for US treatment and the family who had status to live in Canada may have to relocate to another city or even country. Hospitals plan their resources based on those who are receiving provincial healthcare and the size of the local population. When you get hospitals with 1/4 of their births from FN it seems ridiculous for the government deny that this is a problem. Would add that most Canadians want our borders to be respected for a variety of reasons. Although there are some refugees that have crossed borders irregularly there were also a large number of economic immigrants.
I'm not in favour of it, and despite your efforts and one-paragraph rant, nowhere did I say I was in favour of it.

It's just that birth tourism does not create an "anchor baby" but thanks for the dissertation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm not in favour of it, and despite your efforts and one-paragraph rant, nowhere did I say I was in favour of it.

It's just that birth tourism does not create an "anchor baby" but thanks for the dissertation.
It can create an anchor baby. There are many who apply for H&C on the basis of best interest of a child. Not all get approved but some certainly do.

pc8922

Jun 6, 2017
Loved the rant. Do you also have numbers we can all refer to and be enlightened by? Don't just read newspapers. A lot of "birth tourism" also includes international students, people here on work assignments ( legally ) as well as Canadians who are foreign residents but coming to Canada to have babies.

Although many coming for tourism plan for the expense of having an uncomplicated pregnancy

"Statistics Canada has, since 2013, counted 1,561 babies — about 312 annually — born here to mothers, whose place of residence was listed outside Canada, based on figures from provincial birth registries. " This is till 2018. Latest figures estimate total in last 8 years to be 2000 babies or < 300 babies per year.

Source for Number of Birth Tourism Babies : https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1310041401
Citation : Statistics Canada. Table 13-10-0414-01 Live births, by place of residence of mother

"The number of tourists from overseas countries (countries other than the United States) rose to 7.1 million arrivals (+454,000) in 2019, while the number of US tourists to Canada rose to 15.0 million (+554,000) "

Source : https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/200221/dq200221b-eng.htm

If we divide 300 babies / year by the number of tourists coming into the country, we get 0.00422% of tourists coming in to give birth to babies.

When you get hospitals with 1/4 of their births from FN it seems ridiculous for the government deny that this is a problem.

If our hospitals are being inundated because of 300 babies per year, then I feel the problem is much bigger than 'anchor babies', a term you used. Birth Tourism is really not nearly as big as your biases.

We all love to rant, but lets do it based on facts, not gut feelings. Cheers!

pc8922

Jun 6, 2017
Really? If it wasn’t a issue , then Sunnybrook health sciences centre , the largest hospital in the country , wouldn’t have taken the time to put this on their website in 2013.
SEVEN years ago . So obviously it was a issue then, more than likely since it’s still searchable , it’s still a issue

https://health.sunnybrook.ca/navigator/birth-tourism-the-pregnant-patients-most-doctors-cannot-accept/
So problem is differentiating between actuals residents coming in for tourism vs Canadians living abroad wanting to come to Canada to give birth to a baby.

A lot of hospitals consider latter as foreign residents, which should not be the case. Add to this international students and foreign workers working in Canada.

The numbers I quoted are from Statistics Canada, so official numbers. We can debate the error in those numbers, that is a separate matter altogether.

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020

Yes, we are on a forum full of people trying to come to Canada... legally, via an established and fair process. I think the vast majority of people are happy with and respect this, myself included, which is why we are happy to help each other out on this forum as we navigate this process.

My comment was about people who attempt to use the system with dishonest intentions and the reasons why perceptions like "Canada loves babies", which drew your ire, may exist. Conflating this group of people with refugees who fear life and limb and come here honestly/legally while charging "anti immigration!" is a nice virtue signal, but isn't relevant to anything I said.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Loved the rant. Do you also have numbers we can all refer to and be enlightened by? Don't just read newspapers. A lot of "birth tourism" also includes international students, people here on work assignments ( legally ) as well as Canadians who are foreign residents but coming to Canada to have babies.

Although many coming for tourism plan for the expense of having an uncomplicated pregnancy

"Statistics Canada has, since 2013, counted 1,561 babies — about 312 annually — born here to mothers, whose place of residence was listed outside Canada, based on figures from provincial birth registries. " This is till 2018. Latest figures estimate total in last 8 years to be 2000 babies or < 300 babies per year.

Source for Number of Birth Tourism Babies : https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1310041401
Citation : Statistics Canada. Table 13-10-0414-01 Live births, by place of residence of mother

"The number of tourists from overseas countries (countries other than the United States) rose to 7.1 million arrivals (+454,000) in 2019, while the number of US tourists to Canada rose to 15.0 million (+554,000) "

Source : https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/200221/dq200221b-eng.htm

If we divide 300 babies / year by the number of tourists coming into the country, we get 0.00422% of tourists coming in to give birth to babies.

When you get hospitals with 1/4 of their births from FN it seems ridiculous for the government deny that this is a problem.

If our hospitals are being inundated because of 300 babies per year, then I feel the problem is much bigger than 'anchor babies', a term you used. Birth Tourism is really not nearly as big as your biases.

We all love to rant, but lets do it based on facts, not gut feelings. Cheers!
Not on gut feelings. The hospitals with NICUs in greater Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto end up having unpaid bills of often hundreds of thousands of dollars and having to write off the costs most of the time and we may be paying to send those with provincial coverage to another city of country. If someone is pregnant with multiples and they are likely to deliver preemies early but the NICU is full with sick babies who are unlikely to be discharged soon they move the mother, sometimes to the US, in preparation for a potential delivery so they know they'll be NICU capacity. Canada does a very poor job at keeping records of FN use of healthcare. It ends up being managed by each hospital.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/birth-tourism-strain-1.5413296