+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Abandoning PR card

khelanphelan

Jan 30, 2006
My PR card runs out in the middle of this year. Since I have better career prospects in the USA, I am considering to let my PR card expire. However, because of my family's presence in Canada, I want to maintain an option of returning if I have to. Does abandoning a PR card once hurt your chances of getting a PR card when you apply a second time?

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:roll: My friend, its like saying you don't need your driving liscence anymore. Not so easy anymore to get it back once you abandon it and if you abandon your PR card you will have to go through the whole process of reapplying and repaying.

:?: Don't you realize how people would kill to have a PR card? Here you just want to chuck it away :!: How do you know if you will live where you are forever and what if there was a terrorist attack in all of the US? At least you could come back to canada with no problem

:D Renew your card and never let it go..it is your door to safety and many other advantages.

Andrei

Star Member
Jun 27, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
PR status and expiration date on PR card are not the same thing.
You must spend 2 out of 5 years in Canada to maintain your status. If for the past 5 years you have spent less than 2 years in Canada (or have not been to Canada for over 3 years since you landed), your PR status is already lost, no matter what is the expiration date on the card.

It's up to you, where you want to live. You shouldn't have applied for Canadian PR in the first place. The waiting in Buffalo would have been shorter...

Andrei

Shahis79

Nov 11, 2011
Not a problem.Don't worry,i understand your situation.most of prople who are in USA keep a back up plan.So now if you plan to stay in USA then it is a good decision,as i assume you must be getting ur green card.
And regarding Canadian PR if you get it once you will get it again as long as your profession is needed there.And also once you are a USA citizen you don't need any visa to move to CANADA,so don't worry about your family as they also dont need any visa to move to USA either when they are citizens in Canada.
And regarding the terrorist attacks USA is the safest place on earth now.If something bad is going to happen on earth then USA will be the last victim.