Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
I am in the unfortunate situation where my spousal open work permit has been either lost in the mail, or somehow returned to where it was sent from.

On top of that I am not sure if I'm doing all that well, and been noticing some alarming changes in my health. I have an travel insurance but it only covers hospital emergencies and not anything outpatient - such as going to the docs to get checked out.

Does any of you know if I can show up at an walk in clinic in Alberta and pay up front for a check up? I can't get at ease before it gets checked out and know for sure what is going on.

Much appreciated for some serious answers.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you should be able to go to a walk in clinic or a hospital ER and pay for their services.

If you are a spouse being sponsored in AB, you may be eligible for AB health care as well right now. You should ask them.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Leon said:
Yes, you should be able to go to a walk in clinic or a hospital ER and pay for their services.

If you are a spouse being sponsored in AB, you may be eligible for AB health care as well right now. You should ask them.
Thanks! We got AIP earlier this month on the 8th but the work permit never arrived, we think it got lost somehow! Tried to go to the registry with the AIP email, but she wanted to see the actual work permit.

Or should I try call Alberta health services themselves?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Line.a said:
Thanks! We got AIP earlier this month on the 8th but the work permit never arrived, we think it got lost somehow! Tried to go to the registry with the AIP email, but she wanted to see the actual work permit.

Or should I try call Alberta health services themselves?
You should contact AB health themselves. Sometimes they have covered people who didn't even have AIP yet. You can find their contact info here: http://www.health.alberta.ca/contact.html

Another alternative would be to try another registry. In my experience, half the people working at registries have no idea what they are doing anyway. They may tell you yes or no based on the wrong info or simply what they think.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I believe that the way others in your situation have gotten coverage is by using ACHIP's own rules against them.

As specified here http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html, at the top of the page

All eligible residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependents with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)

and further down

Married spouses – must register together

By AHCIP's own rules, an Albertan resident must register with his/her own dependent spouse. As Leon suggested, try going to a different office with your spouse. Others have bounced between a few offices before they found someone who gave them coverage.