+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A Series of Open Work Permit Questions.

Andrew91

Dec 4, 2013
Hello everyone, recently, my wife (canadian citizen) was approved the ability to sponsor me on our Family Class Permanent Residence Application. I am from the US and am currently living with her as a visitor. I understand that once approved for sponsorship, I am able to apply for an Open Work Permit if I have not already done so. Though, I am confused on a couple things.

1: Is the Open Work Permit able to be completed and submitted online? I have been trying to navigate the site, and I keep, I guess you could say getting lost. Eventually I did find out that I needed to log in, and provide a Personal Reference Code, from the eligibility questionnaire on the website to begin applying. Is this the right way to apply? Or am I supposed to use the standard mail in application?

2: As I've said it wants me to submit to then a PRC in order to get started on the online application. However, when I finish the eligibility questionnaire, it does not provide me with the code. I've tried completing the questionnaire many times, and it never provides me with the code. If I am able to apply online, could someone help me understand if I am doing something wrong?

Any information at all would be very helpful, thanks so much!

starry101

Feb 11, 2013
You can only apply online if you have received your AIP. If you haven't got to that stage yet, then you need to mail it. You can find the details here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp