+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A kid born in Canada from Canadian citizen doesn't get any attention/money from dad

liligamba

Sep 6, 2017
hi there:

My friend from a Latino country got married to a Canadian citizen. They had a child in Canada, but divorce before she could get the residence in Canada. She had to go back to her country with her kid. Since then, the father doesn't care about the child, no money, no calls or anything. My friend and the kid now are facing a really bad situation because the economical and political crisis in her country. She was working independently and she was doing fine before, but now the situation has changed. she need economical support to provide for her kid. She doesn't nave money to pay lawyers. Is there any way, any institution in Canada that can help this kid?

I would appreciate any information or advice.
Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi there:

My friend from a Latino country got married to a Canadian citizen. They had a child in Canada, but divorce before she could get the residence in Canada. She had to go back to her country with her kid. Since then, the father doesn't care about the child, no money, no calls or anything. My friend and the kid now are facing a really bad situation because the economical and political crisis in her country. She was working independently and she was doing fine before, but now the situation has changed. she need economical support to provide for her kid. She doesn't nave money to pay lawyers. Is there any way, any institution in Canada that can help this kid?

I would appreciate any information or advice.
Thanks.

In terms of "Residence", are you refering to the home she resided in Canada or Permanent resident status? If she cannot afford lawyers, are there any legal aid societies in her country can offer help? Or you can lend her money?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No your child has to live in Canada to receive child benefit payments. If there is a child support agreement in place I'm not sure if that is enforceable in international custody situations. You would need a lawyer.