Lagos
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nice work guvcode...pls keep it coming!
at least one or more lessons in- between every story.!

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
Hi All

Please check this site for some nice videos, some interesting insights and advice

http://thenewcomer.ca/

Regards

Guvcode

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
A short hint, see you at the top

smaaar said:
The secret to a successful career in Canada
A new report released December 1, 2010, has concluded that self-confidence and a can-do attitude are the main determinants to an immigrant's success in Canada. The report was authored by a psychology professor at UBC and an immigrant support group called SUCCESS, based in Vancouver.

Over the past year, the researchers conducted interviews with twenty immigrants from Asia who all consider themselves to be successful after securing careers they consider both worthwhile and well-paid.

Searching for a job can be an emotional journey, and it may take only 3 to 6 months before the job searcher loses some self-confidence and energy. Often, Canadian rules and regulations about foreign credentials and education can make finding a career more difficult for immigrants, not to mention cultural and language differences may make communication more challenging.

The good news is that the study found that it is an internal desire for success in the face of challenges that is the best predictor of a positive outcome. This drive to succeed is often more important than other key factors such as the person's skills, expertise or education.

A newcomer to Canada who believes in his or her responsibility to create good things in his or her life will also need support and programs designed to keep good spirits during the entire job searching process.

Canada is a country built on immigration and believes in making success a reality for all newcomers.

momohj25

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
United Kingdom
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
AOR Received.
25-04-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
Med's Request
31-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-08-2012
Passport Req..
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
18-10-2012
LANDED..........
Guvcode! +1 to you for starting this tread. this is definitely different from the landed naija tread. please keep it up

Reactions: Fathoma

tokon

Oct 3, 2010
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
16-09-10
AOR Received.
3.7.10 (1st AOR) & 1.10.11 (2nd AOR)
IELTS Request
Done
File Transfer...
6.7.10 to SVO
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
February-2013
Thanks guvcode an excellent initiative!

nom018

Star Member
May 22, 2010
guvocode,

This is a very good thread, informative & positive.

New immigrants like us, should read more of this. It fuels our passion.

Kudos to you! :)

Manonthemove

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/03/2010
Doc's Request.
27/05/2010
AOR Received.
31/07/2010
Med's Request
11/11/2012
Med's Done....
29/11/2012
VISA ISSUED...
March2013
LANDED..........
God Willing Soon
Keep up the good work Guvocode

spartan300

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Kathmandu, Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
1233/1312
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 05,012 PER.............. : Feb 24,012 DD encahsed : Feb 08,012
AOR Received.
Mar 15,012 2nd line in ecas: Aug 07,012
Med's Request
Aug 10,012
Med's Done....
Aug 19,012 3rd line in ecas: Aug 24, 012
Passport Req..
Aug 10,012 DM on ecas : Sep 21, 012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19, 012
LANDED..........
Nov 25, 012
mitali said:
Guvcode, your idea is perfect and appropriate ..... +1

Story of Explorer101 :

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t40042.0.html

I AM FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYING TO CANADAAAAAAA, I JUST GOT IT, ONE MONTH AFTER MEDICALS .

I made it despite the fact that I am handicap. I don't have right leg and am using artificial limb. I mentioned the same in my application also. God had been gracious to me and my family. It was my wish to see my kids growing up in Canada and despite my disability I succeeded. I was not born handicap.

I prepared my application In JAN 2009 and was in the process of forwarding it to CIO; unfortunately in Feb 09 I met with accident. Some jerk driving car rashly hit me at the speed of 70-80 Kms/ Hr, i was standing 4-5 feet down the road. My leg was crushed, 2 pieces. Had to undergo 3 operations in 2 months and my leg could not be saved. While in the hospital, the wish to take my kids to Canada gave me courage to fight and live and more than half of the process of my application was done by me from my bed/ wheelchair. Filed my application in the last week of July 2009. Did IELTS, gathered PCC, renews PP's, registered marriage. Remained on bed for 6 months and was conscious that i may be rejected in medicals if i fail to walk properly and do my own work.

After the wounds dried up I had artificial limb, day and night walked to have better balance. Initially i had to take help of walker later on walking stick which I managed to dispense with. Everyday I climbed stairs 15-20 times in a day. Soon, I became independent started doing household chores as well as to do office work. Medicals came and the doctor made me to climb stairs- which i did, told to remove clothes - i did without assistance and wear clothes. Asked if i can drive car. I never used stick in front of him. Walked slowly but firmly.

It worked and I got VISA.

Now, for me another challenge starts. Due to my physical condition I can not do labour intensive work. I have heard a lot about the difficulties faced by new immigrants. I have a chalked out a plan which i would try to execute. I will bridge my education and experience with canadian studies. Canadian education will help me in getting good job.

One thing is sure - In Canada I will not go down without a fight. I will never come back as a looser. Today, my dreams had been fulfilled and I can see a better future for my kids.

Mitali
Thanks to Guvcode for creating this forum,
Thanks to Mitali for sharing this inspiration stody,
Salute to Explorer101 for his will

Regards,
Spartan!

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
Thank you all for the encouragement. well appreciated. Another tip here

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1023675/recruiters-offer-top-10-tips-to-reduce-job-hunting-anxiety

Recruiters offer top 10 tips to reduce job hunting anxiety
TORONTO, Aug. 21, 2012 /CNW/ - Searching for a new job can be extremely stressful - right up there with skydiving and bungee jumping. But, according to a seasoned group of recruitment professionals at one of Canada's largest recruitment firms, it doesn't have to be.

"How we plan our careers and where we choose to work factor significantly into how we measure happiness and success," says Lannick Group of Companies president and CEO, Peter Jeewan, whose team of finance & accounting and technology recruitment and staffing professionals specialize in helping employers and candidates find a better fit.

"Because there's so much riding on the quality of a person's first or next role, there's also a lot of stress associated with the process," adds Jeewan, offering up his team's "Top 10 Tips" for keeping job hunting stress at bay:

1) Set clear goals: Determine the type of role, industry, company, culture and leadership team that appeal most to you and make sure before you put yourself out there that your own style, qualifications, experience and values align.
2) Do something towards your goals everyday: Whether it's researching different industries, checking opportunities on LinkedIn, touching base with a recruiter or meeting up with someone in your network; just do it. Even baby steps will make you feel more in control of the process.
3) Customize your résumé: Your résumé should always be relevant to the role you want to land and should highlight specific, relevant experience. Sending off a half-hearted, generic summary of your skills and qualifications won't impress a recruiter or potential employer and could leave you feeling embarrassed in the process.
4) Stay healthy and balanced: Just because you want to make a career change doesn't mean you should put your life on hold. Taking time with friends and family, getting enough rest, exercise and good nutrition are absolutely critical. Deep and deliberate breathing will also help to stave off negative responses to external stressors.
5) Ask for help: You are not alone. People naturally like to help others, but they won't necessarily do so unless you ask. Let everyone (except your current employer) know what you're looking for. That includes consulting with a recruiter who specializes in your field. Plant the seeds, water them and be patient. In time, they will grow!
6) Be clear and upfront with your recruiter: Remember, it is not your responsibility to be interested in whatever opportunity a recruiter may have to offer, but it is your responsibility to be clear about what you are looking for and why you think you're qualified.
7) Prepare well for interviews: Interviews are hard to come by. Don't waste your time or anyone else's by being unprepared. Research the company, the role and the environment. Show up 10 minutes early, look your best and know your résumé like the back of your hand.
8) Follow up: No matter how you feel you performed in an interview, always take the high road. Remember to follow up by thanking your interviewer (and your recruiter) for their time, and giving them an indication of your continued interest.
9) Keep a sense of humour: Laughter is a known stress reliever. Find the funny in an awkward situation or watch some of your favourite videos on Youtube after a particularly frustrating experience. In other words, cut yourself some slack - take your career seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.
10) Give yourself time: Developing a clear vision takes a lot of introspection, research, networking and preparation. Take a deep breath regularly and don't try to do too much too quickly. Control the things you can and don't worry about the things you can't. More than anything, remember that being patient with yourself and the process will help keep you calm, positive and clear-headed. And what employer doesn't want someone like that on their team?
Over the past 27 years, the Lannick Group of Companies has grown into one of the premier professional recruitment and staffing firms in the Greater Toronto Area. Lannick Group includes Lannick Finance & Accounting, which recruits finance & accounting professionals for mid- to senior-level permanent and contract roles; Pro Count Staffing, which places non-managerial to managerial-level finance & accounting professionals in temporary and permanent roles; and Lannick Technology, which specializes in providing technology professionals at all levels and roles on a contract, contract-to-hire and permanent basis. Since 2009, Lannick Group has been named one of the Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work® Institute.

Note to Editors: Lannick Group career and workplace experts are available for interview.

SOURCE: Lannick Group of Companies

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
Further tips, strictly the posters opinion

HoneyBird said:
HI Everyone,

I know many people despair over finding a job.

However, having secured a job in less than two weeks of applying, and having worked as a Recruiter for two months, I would like to give you guys Heads up on finding a job quickly.

1. Canadian employers do NOT care much for foreign qualifications/experience, YOU will have to start over at the bottom of your profession.

2. You are most likely to suceed at securing a temporary position than a permanent one. Thus you should focus on temporary positions, as they are more easy to hire than a permanent one.

3. Take any job position that you get. It may not be in your field-but take it. You need to build your Canadian experience.

4. Apply to temporary agencies...as many as possible. YOU need to take initative and call them every week to remind them that you are looking for a job.

5. APPLY on Craigslist. Thats how I got my first job and I am in the process of getting hopefully another one (I will know by tomorrow). Workopolis did not work for me, neither did monster.

6. Employers all have perceptions- you need to work past it. If your spouse has a canadian last name, you should take it. For example:- B. Punawatie, hubby is: Chris Smith, change your name to B. Smith. (made up examples), You will get more hits with B. Smith. Guaranteed.

7. They want to see accreditation (I have mine from UFT) and they want to see that if you are a professional, that you are pursuing the designation (I am writing my exams in May 2012). You should indicate this in your resume, and indicate that you speak english and can use computers as well.

8. I strongly advise you to take a few courses in Canada. It will build your resume. They 'trust' canadian school education. So if you can go to a reputable university. Yes, definitely do. I am gonna take some courses in September from Ryerson.

9. Don't assume that people know where your country is. I have had so many stupid questions asked...e.g. 'wow you speak english so good..where did you learn it?' Ummmmm...I am from an english speaking country! LOL. Hence my advice above.

10. Network. Network. Network. You have to integrate as much as possible. This weekend I got 2 job referrals. One from a family person and another from someone I met yesterday at a birthday party. Both really good positions. Both of them will forward my resume recommending me. Additionally, my friend spoke to her recruiter, writing him a letter of recommendation, and he called me friday to set up an interview. So network with your neighbour. friends. every single person....let them know you are looking for a job).

11. I have found that if i apply for companies that are known or runned by people of my birth country or region, the more likely I will get called for an interview. These people know of the experience that you have put on your resume. They can identify with the schools that you have been too. Thats how i got my first job. My boss parents where originally from my country. Thus identify which companies your friends/family work in, and send in resumes. Sometimes by the name alone on the posting, you can tell the recruiter's origin.

12. Do not give up. Take what you get. Even if its temporary/part time etc. You have to start off somewhere...

13. Simplyhired.ca is a great website. They pull all the ads from all the different postings and you can customise it to search certain key words every day.

14. Sending your resume> Apply for postings as soon as it hits online. Don't both with applying for jobs that have been there for days or weeks. Those are already filled or the recruiter has found potential candidates. You need to be on the ball.

15. I have found applying early in the morning when the posting is fresh the best. If a posting is a day old. Post your resume before 8 am to ensure that your resume is atop all the other emails that were sent previously.

16. For god's sake! Do not wear Black for an interview. Dress properly. Do not chew. Smile. Look and talk like you want the job. Know something about the company. Be on time. I came across people interviewing with shorts or wearing hats or one guy was itching all the time.

17. Do NOT talk about your health problems e.g. if you have ADHD or mental illness. OR if you left a job because you were unfit for work. This does not help you! Neither does says that you had differences with your last employer and was fired or if you had an altercation.

17.If asked about UNIONS. Please for the life of God do NOT say that you were 1. in a union or 2. that you strongly believe in unions.

18. Ensure that there are no mistakes on your resume.

19. Do not put email contacts like: BigNigga @ hotmail.com. (yes I have seen this). Do not put a picture a picture of yourself. Do not have some stupid voicemail e.g.: There is a song on one voice mail that sounded like: 'I smoke weed and I get high'. Make sure you have a cell phone contact and voicemail. Nothing irks a recruiter more that having to call a home phone and get the answering machine. Yes I would leave a message. But by the time you call me back, I would have already book 10 interviews before you and most likely by the time you reach by me for an interview I already found the person I am looking for. AND it pisses me off when people do not have voice mail. Do you really expect the recruiter to call you a million times a day to see if you will answer? Nope. The recruiter has to book as many interviews as possible, time is money and they are not going to keep calling you. They move on to the other hundreds of resumes.

20. Do not despair. From my experience, By the time the person opens their mouth, I know if I am interested. Don't ever take anything personal. Its all about fitting into a culture. The recruiter will know. So if you wonder why even if you had the best of qualifications, its simply your personality won't fit in. Thus never take it personal. And don't bother to re apply to the company for any future positions. Recruiters have databases of all rejected candidates and once your name pops on a search, they will not bother with you.

21. Finding a job is all about being on the ball. Be prepared. Be proactive. Respond swiftly. You have no idea, but I will tell you that when there is a posting out there...hundreds of resumes come in on a daily basis. So I strongly advise sometimes that you call the company and ask if got resume and express interest. I have actually pulled those resumes out when someone reminds me that they applied or I do an on the spot telephone interview that leads to an actual interview.

Good Luck and Do not despair.

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
Hello all

Please listen to the podcast in the link
http://thezieglersblog.com/2012/03/no-canadian-experience/

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
Another tip from a site

This is a classic story of what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Rick is an IT Project Manager, and has been my client for the past three years. He reconnected with me recently for interview coaching as he was pursuing an opportunity through a recruiter. He met with the recruiter and got a clear idea of the challenges his target company was facing. Using that information he developed a strategic plan, prepared a PowerPoint presentation highlighting the challenges and offering solutions, and sent it to the recruiter for review. The recruiter was so impressed with his approach that he asked all shortlisted candidates to prepare a presentation.

By the time Rick came to me for coaching, he had updated the presentation to include matrices and charts, and was confident he knew what the company needed and the value he could offer them. I reviewed the presentation with him, then we focussed on interview questions he would most likely be asked. To cover all bases, we reviewed other questions that could come up based on the problems he identified and the environment in which he was going to work. He left feeling very confident.

At the interview, all eyes were focused on him and the presentation. When the interview ended he was told that he would hear from them by Friday. In less than two hours, and before he got back to his office, they called to offer him the position. Not only did he get the job, but it came with a $20,000 pay increase and an excellent benefit package.

Here are some things that Rick did right:

He took his job search very seriously instead of leaving it up to luck.
He did not wait until a day or two before his interview to seek coaching. Too many people go to the interview ill-prepared and with high expectation that something miraculous will happen.
He researched the company, found out what problems they faced and offered strategies for solution.
He separated himself from his competitors by going the extra mile. He capitalized on his strength and, in so doing, raised the bar by which the other candidates were measured.
His expertise and enthusiasm shone during the coaching session and because of that we were confident he would do well at the interview.
Rick's case is not unusual. More and more hiring managers are asking candidates, particularly those at the managerial and executive levels, to prepare to deliver a 10-15 minute presentation. Rick was not asked to do one, but it gave him an edge, and to a large extent, allowed him to set the agenda and control the interview.

I have coached many individuals to do what Rick did. In one case, it was a corporate lawyer who wanted to apply for an internal position as Corporate Responsibility Officer. A presentation was not a requirement but I suggested she prepared one anyway, as she was competing with three other internal candidates. From her assessment, they appeared to have had the edge, including one who was with the company for 22 years and was acting in the position. The research that she did and the strategy we developed helped her to ace the interview and get the job!

As competition increases, job seekers are being pushed to find creative ways to stand out from the crowd. Not everyone will have the successes mentioned above; not everyone will be vying for positions at those levels, but if you are serious about moving your career forward, it requires an investment of your time.

Some people spend more time planning their vacation than they do their job search, and from my experience, it's easy to spot these individuals. They call in a panic the day before the interview to ask “Do you guys do interview coaching, and can you see me this weekend?” or they leave a message wanting to know the fee for a ‘general' or ‘generic' resume so they can apply for a job that has a deadline the next day. This quick fix, microwave approach won't work, and that's the reason some people's job search go wrong. Don't let this happen to you.

http://www.daisywright.com/2010/05/26/case-study-interview-coaching-nets-client-20000-pay-increase-2/

sterileinjection

Jul 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2011
AOR Received.
11/11/2011
IELTS Request
sent
File Transfer...
16/01/2012
Med's Request
24/01/2012
Med's Done....
13/02/2012
Interview........
blank
Passport Req..
05/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
09/04/2012
LANDED..........
31/5/2012
nice work guvcode......keep it up dear :D....+1 for u 8)

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
capriraj said:
I don't have an MBA, I have landed two months ago in ALberta. Applied very conservatively at 4 Places. Recieved calls from interview from all the four places, refused at one place due to non experience in that field. Selected at other three places and now is the critical time to select the where to join. Yes, I speak fluent english and have a pool of experience from UK. But more than that I believe in ME.

If you do that you will succeed. Remember dosen't matter where you are educated from, if you truly have the knowledge you will sail. Few important things

1. Resume (Make Sure it is made properly as per AMerican Standards)

2. You must have good knowledge of the language.

3. Get some info on ICE Hockey

4. Be patient.

All the Best