VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Re: Documentation for someone who lives abroad & acquired another citizenship

pieterssen said:
Hello.
I have a question about documentation.
I was born and had lived until I was mid-20 in an another country, other than where I am living now.
Moved to an EU country about 10 years ago and acquired an EU citizenship.

So where do I gather my documents to apply for Canada?
Should I gather all my documents from my country of origin (birth) or here in the EU where I am living and a citizen?

Thanks in advance!
pieterssen
To immigrate to Canada you will need both. You were already past the age of 18 when you moved, therefore you will need to provide information regarding your previous country as well as a police certificate from that country and any other country you have resided in for more than 6 months since turning 18 years of age.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Re: Documents Expiration

pieterssen said:
follow up question :D

Hello.
I have a question about document expiration.
On the document list, it is not specified if documents have expiration, other than the medical.

Do the following have expiration?

certificate of birth
civil status (single, divorce etc)
police certificate

Also, quenstion on inland application, how does this work? Does that mean, when you come to Canada you already have your papers, or you ask relatives to gather them for you and just have it sent to Canada? Does that mean all documents can be procured via a representative?

Thanks in advance!
You can only file an Inland application if you are actually currently residing in Canada with your spouse. The police certificate expires 90 days from issuance from a CIC standpoint. That means it MUST be received by CIC within that 90 days or another must be done. A civil status document should not expire, I would think, unless you do something to change that status, such as get married or divorced. As far as I know, there is no expiration for a birth certificate for CIC purposes, however you might note some countries do have an expiration date stamped on them.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

pieterssen said:
I can stay in Canada for 6 months without visa, then I will just apply for extension for another 12 months. I will ask someone to gather my requirements for me from both countries I have lived, without leaving Canada. Then I will apply for PR inland. Is this workable?
Yes, as long as you are married or officially common-law (lived together 12 continuous months) when you file the application, then it's fine. If family members can get documents on your behalf, is up to the country and office you are getting docs from.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013

pieterssen said:
I can stay in Canada for 6 months without visa, then I will just apply for extension for another 12 months. I will ask someone to gather my requirements for me from both countries I have lived, without leaving Canada. Then I will apply for PR inland. Is this workable?
It is workable, but if you have to provide fingerprints and such, then you will have to mail them off. Who gathers the documents is not of a concern. The correct documents and all being filed with your application is more of a concern. Be sure to check your timelines for your home country as well, because it might be a shorter wait if you file an outland application. Do not be confused by the titles of the applications, you can indeed file an Outland application while living inside Canada with your spouse.

You have stated you can stay for 6 months without a visa, which implies you are visa exempt. Keep in mind if you do file an Inland application you should not leave Canada for any reason during the processing of your application. If you are, for any reason, denied entry back into Canada your application is considered abandoned and you would need to begin again. That means a family death/illness/birth or anything that is important to you would have to be put on hold. Just look at the timelines and be aware of some of the 'restrictions' between the two types of applications to get a better understanding of what happens during each.

Good luck!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013

pieterssen said:
During the first 6 months and eventually asking for extension for 12 months, anytime during this period can I also apply for twp? For one year doing nothing is kind of lethargic ???
I just read another post from you stating you are not actually in Canada right now. The biggest hurdle you are going to have to overcome, is going to be getting your extension after the first 6 months to enable you to meet your common law status to apply. You would have to prove funds and ties to your home country and such in order to be granted an extension and I am not sure you are going to be able to accommodate that. Once you have actually met your 12 months for common law and you are ready to file your application, if you are indeed doing it Inland you can include an OWP with that application to be processed after you receive your AIP (Stage 1 sponsor approval). That part of the sponsorship process is currently taking 11 months or so. That means you would be idle for almost a full 2 years before you would be able to work.

To answer the question you asked here, no, there is no TWP you can file for. You could try to find a job willing to do an LMO for you, but those are few and far between.

Have you explored any other options for immigration besides spousal sponsorship? Maybe some kind of working exchange program or something of that nature? There are many roads into Canada. Be sure you are using the one that is best suited to your needs/desires.

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014

You are caught in a very common catch-22.

For Visitor visa you need to prove you are NOT staying and you will definately return home after 12 months.

For Commonlaw Sponsorship you need to prove that you are living together and want to be together for more than 12 months.

So you need to think about how you are going to prove both those things.

Inland application, plan not not being able to work or leave the country (even for a visit or holiday) for at least 2 years. You may get lucky and it may be shorter than that, but plan on 2 years so you know you can handle what you are getting yourself into.