+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

401K as proof of funds?

aloobharta01

Sep 30, 2018
Hi,

Has anyone successfully used 401K balance from US as proof of funds? Or do I need to cash out that after paying hefty penalty and taxes and show that in my account as POF?

schilz

Star Member
Dec 25, 2018
A quick google search shows mixed results, some people being able to use 401k for POF.
Per IRCC:
"
Funds must be readily available to you. For example, you can't use equity on real property as proof of settlement funds.

The funds must be available both when you apply and when (if) we issue you a permanent resident visa. You must prove to an immigration officer that you can legally access them to use to settle here when you arrive.
"
It seems to depend on the officer's interpretation of readily available, and if they consider 401k balances to fall under that category.
You'll definitely need the funds liquid when you move (if approved) anyway.

I see two options:
1) Submit your 401k balance when applying, if they have concerns they'll reach out to you, at that point you can liquidate the amount needed and reply to IRCC's concern.
2) Liquidate the amount needed now and apply, you pay taxes & penalty but you get peace of mind throughout the process.

geektech40

Sep 19, 2018
Hi,

Has anyone successfully used 401K balance from US as proof of funds? Or do I need to cash out that after paying hefty penalty and taxes and show that in my account as POF?
If you search here on this forum itself there have been multiple members who had *NO* issue doing the same.There is no need to extract the funds, and pay the 10% if you are below 59 1/2 and also its recognized by CRA as per the tax treaty b/w US and CAN.

All you would need is a print out (preferable recent) of the statement / balance from your 401k Provider.

Good luck.

niti0105

Jan 4, 2019
I am in india but have some funds in my 401k in USA.

Will the statement generated online be sufficient for the same?

Or do we need to get it stamped and signed?

If you search here on this forum itself there have been multiple members who had *NO* issue doing the same.There is no need to extract the funds, and pay the 10% if you are below 59 1/2 and also its recognized by CRA as per the tax treaty b/w US and CAN.

All you would need is a print out (preferable recent) of the statement / balance from your 401k Provider.

Good luck.