+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

37 years age, Jan 2022 intake, got refusal! Please review the application

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
Suggesting that he does an MBA is perhaps the worst advice we can give him, he would stand a better chance by reapplying with the same program but with a tweaked study plan than a business degree which will have zero correlation with his career and academics so far. An MBA is not a automatic route to a study permit. It has to make sense just like any other study program.
If he has to change his study program and a master's in software or electronics isn't possible, than a program in robotics or AI or something which is hyper specific fits the bill. If there isn't a two year program, then choose back to back year long programs, keeping the PGWP bit in mind.

It's true that the SOP lacks punch on the actual study plan. There are too many generic statements, perhaps because the program itself is a plain SW dev diploma, unlikely to add much value to a professional with more than a decades experience in IT. He would need to borrow elements from the program curriculum and show how he would benefit from that module and why it cannot be done elsewhere. For example, an applicant who has worked in a junior role in finance and enrolled in an MBA which offers a module in venture capital can argue that it would give him a hands on exposure in a very aspirational domain, that too in Canada where he can network with fellow students in an international setting. This will allow him to move up the ladder when he resumes work. This has to be argued by contextualizing the applicants unique situation and not by using generic statements like Canada is a great educational destination etc etc

alfredbink

Star Member
Jan 5, 2021
Suggesting that he does an MBA is perhaps the worst advice we can give him, he would stand a better chance by reapplying with the same program but with a tweaked study plan than a business degree which will have zero correlation with his career and academics so far. An MBA is not a automatic route to a study permit. It has to make sense just like any other study program.
If he has to change his study program and a master's in software or electronics isn't possible, than a program in robotics or AI or something which is hyper specific fits the bill. If there isn't a two year program, then choose back to back year long programs, keeping the PGWP bit in mind.

It's true that the SOP lacks punch on the actual study plan. There are too many generic statements, perhaps because the program itself is a plain SW dev diploma, unlikely to add much value to a professional with more than a decades experience in IT. He would need to borrow elements from the program curriculum and show how he would benefit from that module and why it cannot be done elsewhere. For example, an applicant who has worked in a junior role in finance and enrolled in an MBA which offers a module in venture capital can argue that it would give him a hands on exposure in a very aspirational domain, that too in Canada where he can network with fellow students in an international setting. This will allow him to move up the ladder when he resumes work. This has to be argued by contextualizing the applicants unique situation and not by using generic statements like Canada is a great educational destination etc etc
Anyone with many years of experience can easily show managerial progression in their respective fields. The MBA studies can apply to any field. It's not just financial. For example: You are a supervisor in a car manufacturing plant. You want to progress and learn about how to manage department or become Director or VP. It's not only finance

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
Anyone with many years of experience can easily show managerial progression in their respective fields. The MBA studies can apply to any field. It's not just financial. For example: You are a supervisor in a car manufacturing plant. You want to progress and learn about how to manage department or become Director or VP. It's not only finance
The applicant in this case has already expressed his desire to pursue a career in SW development. To do an about turn and enroll into a business program just because his application has been refused once is a sure shot recipe for disaster.
He needs to redo his sop, perhaps even change programs to something more substantial but in a related field. No point in deviating from the core arguments he has already made in his first application

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
sorry for the previous refusal, hope you have ordered the notes to see exactly what transpired refusal based on purpose of visit. Your SOP looks fine, All the best buddy
Thank you for the review. I am changing the SOP some part of it anyway for the reconsideration based on notes of course. Notes is ordered. Lets see.

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Was it diploma or post graduate diploma?

When was your application date?

For about $50K, Ryerson University offers MBA. It costs about $15K more than these colleges but visa becomes more guarantee and any field person can make it a "career progression"
Thank you for reviewing.
It was called advanced diploma, and to be honest it was just 6 months. So I would not consider it to be significant, I added it to reduce my study gap. But I will be removing that entry from SOP, it looks like its affecting the decision. But notes will clear what happened.
MBA I dont want to :( My mind is to stay towards technical side or manage technical things. I no longer want management. Hence this decision. To be honest it is a progression for me since I am moving from test automation to developer role. Lets see. I will keep you guys/gals posted.

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Sorry to hear about your refusal. I got my Study visa with 13 yrs gap as well. Your course choice is not convincing enough in my opinion. You can msg me if you want to discuss more. All the best
Thank you for reviewing.
I think the SOP did not do the justice on career progression. I have mentioned in it that I want to switch from testing to development, which is still within my domain but moving to different kind of work. Instead of testing what developers have built I want to become the developer! But let me know which part makes it not convincing. I will think and add it.
GMCS notes is awaited.
Thank you again. Contacting you for sure.

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Based on your SOP etc, your visa consultant has gone out of his way not to mention the course level (diploma/pg-diploma) unless I missed it.
So your visa refusal reason will most probably be "career progression" or "improper choice of program".
Do cheap MBA.
Thank you for the review.
Actually I wrote the SOP. I think LOA would have clearly mentioned it. So I am thinking if they only saw SOP then I am doomed! :) We kinda know that they are eye balling the applications anyway. I agree I will make the change.

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021

Thank you for the review.
Shit, I get the point that SOP is generic. Yeah I clearly see it now. Ok, I will make the change. Make it specific to the program and my intentions to stay in the technical field.
Also, in India you wont get to switch to developer role just like that unless you have a degree in it or have experience in it. That I did not mention, I wanted to work as a developer so that I could show that exp back in India, I did not mention that. Hmm....ok let me keep these in mind when I rewrite it.

Thank you again...

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Ok, so the latest update from the college is that May 2022 intake is already gone it seems. No seats. So now I have to move it to Sep 2022 intake :(
Now, this opens up new options. Like Masters in university and change of program within the college towards AI. This might help me in improving my SOP content since its AI along with Masters. We will go ahead with Sep intake LOA for reconsideration after seeing the notes of course.
I wanted to run by you guys/gals first to see how this plan of action sounds. Plan is to go for Sep 2022 intake LOA along with reconsideration, that means same file with new SOP and possibly new program. Not sure if this is possible. While its getting reviewed by the VO, work on a parallel plan in case the reconsideration goes into shitter as well, to secure a seat in a university with masters program in AI or SW development or in another college with AI as the program if this college does not give me that program. This college has AI program by the way.
What a f@#k fest.
So, are there any guys here who got a university for the credentials I have?
Here are my details.
Bachelor of Engineering with 55%
13 years of software exp.
I will be looking for masters in computer science or AI.

Let me know what are the odds. I will be trying in any odds anyway, but still it will help to prepare for the univ apps...

Thank you all...

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
just to add, you should be removing that paragraph about having no intention of staying in canada after graduation and only wanting to move back to india once you’re done. the VO isnt a child, they’re not that naïve to believe that, so they can tell that its a straight up lie. you even said you chose that specific program because of access to 3 years of pgwp. instead, say you’ll abide by the rules of the study permit, and will only continue residing in canada if you have the legal right to do so, and will not overstay your permit if it expires.

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
just to add, you should be removing that paragraph about having no intention of staying in canada after graduation and only wanting to move back to india once you’re done. the VO isnt a child, they’re not that naïve to believe that, so they can tell that its a straight up lie. you even said you chose that specific program because of access to 3 years of pgwp. instead, say you’ll abide by the rules of the study permit, and will only continue residing in canada if you have the legal right to do so, and will not overstay your permit if it expires.
Let me think about it.
To be specific I did not mention about pgwp but mentioned that I would be getting exposure to work in the industry. I know it might sound like its not genuine, let me read up on this and change that also. I agree, abide by the study permit rules sounds neutral.

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
Lakehead university offers a master's in comp science https://www.lakeheadu.ca/programs/graduate/programs/masters/electrical-and-computer/node/7270
You should find similar programs in universities like Ryerson, Windsor, Regina, Memorial, UNB etc. Don't restrict yourself to Ontario as institutes there would attract more competition for obvious reasons. Looks at institutes in the maritime provinces.
I am concerned about your engineering grades, comp sc programs tend to be popular and consequently, competition is tougher than other courses. Shortlist a few and write to their admission team to see if they can do pre application assessments for you. Perhaps you can write a GRE and supplement your application. Anything is possible if you keep looking for solutions.
I would also ask you to be open to two one year diplomas if you can find programs with a sharp focus on the subjects of your choice. Nothing like the prospect of pursuing something you are excited about, will reflect on your study plan

Reactions: yesWeCanada

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Lakehead university offers a master's in comp science https://www.lakeheadu.ca/programs/graduate/programs/masters/electrical-and-computer/node/7270
You should find similar programs in universities like Ryerson, Windsor, Regina, Memorial, UNB etc. Don't restrict yourself to Ontario as institutes there would attract more competition for obvious reasons. Looks at institutes in the maritime provinces.
I am concerned about your engineering grades, comp sc programs tend to be popular and consequently, competition is tougher than other courses. Shortlist a few and write to their admission team to see if they can do pre application assessments for you. Perhaps you can write a GRE and supplement your application. Anything is possible if you keep looking for solutions.
I would also ask you to be open to two one year diplomas if you can find programs with a sharp focus on the subjects of your choice. Nothing like the prospect of pursuing something you are excited about, will reflect on your study plan
I agree, I will check these universities. I am also concerned about the engineering grades. Lets see. I am not going to take GRE :( I am done with GRE and GMAT. I have a mental block on these tests and dont want to stress too much on that.
I had gotten into Seneca for one year PG or graduate certificate what we call. But decided to go for 2 years because 1 year and then extension cuts it too short of time to apply and worst case scenarios feel like huge stress! But still open to it if nothing pans out.
Actually SW development is a sharp focus for me but for VO it looks like generic. If I dont get any options then I will mention details to convince them.
Also, if I change the course within the same college, since I want to go for AI in my current DLI, then do I have to reapply? Meaning I cant apply for reconsideration with the same file?!

Thank you...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Reactions: yesWeCanada