+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

37 Pages of Citizenship Numbers ATIP

What is the difference between Montreal and Montreal - CEN? Montreal - CEN has no applications really happening and my test email is from DN CEN MTL. I am concerned, lol.

Reactions: Acorn450

ArthurTheGreat

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
haha @wksj you are a hero, now I understand the issue much better now. It turns out that some people are streamlined if you are:
a. more 1200 days b. no pre-pr time included c. no pr from family class. d. out of the 25-44 range. That's exactly why that one guy in our group got processed super fast, bcz he belongs to the streamline. Most of us are in the Routine line, therefore much slower hahah

Reactions: 8494193 and appuchu

ArthurTheGreat

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
if you guys look at Page 37 of the document, I can conclude that:
a. @wksj' previous arguments regarding paper vs online are correct: during fiscal 2021-2022 (which ends in 2022 march), the new e-app only counted less than 10% of total application granted.
b. Things are changing in May 2022, online applicants are starting to become nearly 20% of total new citizens.

Reactions: thuong and 8494193

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What is the difference between Montreal and Montreal - CEN? Montreal - CEN has no applications really happening and my test email is from DN CEN MTL. I am concerned, lol.
Some previous posts in forum suggested that CEN had something to do with non-routine applications.

Looking on page 8:
Note there's a Toronto CEN that had a dramatic fall-off of citizenship grants in September 21 (Montreal CEN was low all year).

BUT: both the other Monteral office and Mississauga seem to have increased final files that roughly compensated.

So: my interpretation (speculation) is that both the CENs had some centralized or specialized function in the past, or possibly the office, BUT during 2020-2021 and probably now, IRCC has done some changes to the office size, functions, staffing, etc. Perhaps specifically due to covid, perhaps just indirectly.

Unfortunately: this doesn't tell one much except that these direct comparisons won't make much sense without info on what was done. I'd also guess/assume that in the course of these changes a whole bunch of files were moved.

No idea specifically on wh¥ the email you got is from there, would be pure speculation.

Reactions: 8494193

Some previous posts in forum suggested that CEN had something to do with non-routine applications.

Looking on page 8:
Note there's a Toronto CEN that had a dramatic fall-off of citizenship grants in September 21 (Montreal CEN was low all year).

BUT: both the other Monteral office and Mississauga seem to have increased final files that roughly compensated.

So: my interpretation (speculation) is that both the CENs had some centralized or specialized function in the past, or possibly the office, BUT during 2020-2021 and probably now, IRCC has done some changes to the office size, functions, staffing, etc. Perhaps specifically due to covid, perhaps just indirectly.

Unfortunately: this doesn't tell one much except that these direct comparisons won't make much sense without info on what was done. I'd also guess/assume that in the course of these changes a whole bunch of files were moved.

No idea specifically on wh¥ the email you got is from there, would be pure speculation.
Thanks. Hopefully my GCMS notes reveal some clarification (expected next month, fingers crossed).

Reactions: armoured

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
haha @wksj you are a hero, now I understand the issue much better now. It turns out that some people are streamlined if you are:
a. more 1200 days b. no pre-pr time included c. no pr from family class. d. out of the 25-44 range. That's exactly why that one guy in our group got processed super fast, bcz he belongs to the streamline. Most of us are in the Routine line, therefore much slower hahah
That is not what the document implies.

On Page 18 and Page 29, one of the footnotes read:

"Routine applications do not require PI interview in general with the exceptions of: physical presence less than 1200 days; non-permanent resident time claimed; aged 25-44 years at time of citizenship application and PR from Family Class"

All that says is whether a routine application requires PI (whatever PI means) interview or not; not whether an application is routine or streamlined. You can have a routine application that has more than 1200 days of physical presence, that claims no non-PR time, that is filed outside age 25-44, and that is not a family-based PR. Such an application does not require PI interview; but nothing in the document says this would be a streamlined application.

Reactions: smash1984

pedromw

Dec 20, 2021
I also received my test invit from DN CEN MTL, I think this is the standard email address that almost everybody is supposed to receive the test from. I never heard or read that another email address from Montreal office without "CEN" exists and is actively communicating with applicants like the "CEN" does ?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
[...]

On Page 18 and Page 29, one of the footnotes read:

"Routine applications do not require PI interview in general with the exceptions of: physical presence less than 1200 days; non-permanent resident time claimed; aged 25-44 years at time of citizenship application and PR from Family Class"

[...]
I believe based on this page a PI interview is a Program Integrity Interview.

When I read that footnote I questioned what kind of application mine would be, I check all the boxes in that footnote:

Physical Presence: 1100.5 days < 1200
non-permanent resident time claimed - Yes
Aged 25-44 at time of application - Yes
PR from Family Class - Yes

Despite all of that I was never interviewed or sent any additional document requests and I should be taking the oath next week.

Last edited:

Flyaway21

May 27, 2022
CEN office is for non routine applications that takes longer. When did you apply and when did you get test invite? I'm also at cen Feb 2021 applicant

Flyaway21

May 27, 2022
I also received my test invit from DN CEN MTL, I think this is the standard email address that almost everybody is supposed to receive the test from. I never heard or read that another email address from Montreal office without "CEN" exists and is actively communicating with applicants like the "CEN" does ?
Mmm it's hard to say what's going on here. Looking at the doc, Montreal office (not cen) does gives test invites. Also, when I look at my atip notes, I saw that my file was transfered from Montreal office to Montreal cen "archives".

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Mmm it's hard to say what's going on here. Looking at the doc, Montreal office (not cen) does gives test invites. Also, when I look at my atip notes, I saw that my file was transfered from Montreal office to Montreal cen "archives".
Honestly we can only speculate, but it looks to me that it's doing some centralized function - long-time archival would be an example of a function that many orgs would centralize - and that might be temporary or part of a transition arrangement, etc. Some IT functions/scheduling might be centralized in terms of authority too during a transition to online.

At any rate seems that it is functioning quite differently from the other offices in terms of actualy finalizing apps.

Reactions: 8494193