+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3 places to move to, 1 big decision, help needed!

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
jokulhaup said:
Does weather matter to you at all? Burlington has the warmest climate of the three (downside being hot and sticky summers). Regina has the most severe winters and Calgary has the coolest summers.
Oh I'm sure weather matters significantly, as someone who is used to a drier California climate, moving to Ontario and experiencing their mildly humid summers (I've experienced summer in Georgia and Florida so I know it does get worse), it's quite more bearable in Calgary where the climate is more moderate and the air isn't so humid (i.e. hot and sticky).

People should undoubtedly visit areas they plan on moving to as climate can in some cases be the difference between enjoyable and miserable.

thomas78

Star Member
May 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-06-2011
beholder69 said:
@ thomas: Very interesting points, quite contradictory to the data I've seen on the city, it has been listed as top place for immigrants, with very low unemployment and significant growth. Not sure of what the real status is apparently, just saying what I've found.
i live in burlington :) . when you have an employment , burlington is the best place to live. Otherwise how would you start here? renting, transportation, job search, groceries etc... There are less options/alternatives available to residents here.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
thomas78 said:
i live in burlington :) . when you have an employment , burlington is the best place to live. Otherwise how would you start here? renting, transportation, job search, groceries etc... There are less options/alternatives available to residents here.
Oh, that settles it then I guess :D

Thanks for this, won't go for it then, at least not now. After we get some Canadian experience and are more comfortable, we could look for a move there is a few years of the growth continues. It does have some advantages, such as direct flights to Toronto from Greece, so the fares are about 3 times lower than to other cities but will leave it for now.

As for the weather question above, it does matter but I'd say it's the least important for us right now. We are prepared for cold, Greece is a pretty warm and humid country and feel very uncomfortable in the summer.

When we had visited Toronto, the temperature reached 35 degrees but had no issues with it. Not so used to cold, the worse I can remember was during my army service, it was -10 with humidity touching 99%, inside a small room with non-existent insulation and no heating at all. Not good.

In any case, we are making a big step to improve our lives, so could go anywhere that a human could survive, as long as there are enough job opportunities there, this is No1.

steph816

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
AOR Received.
01-06-2011
File Transfer...
13-06-2011 VO began processing 06-10-2011
Med's Request
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2011, 27-02-2012
Interview........
23-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2012
Job wise I would say Alberta is booming because of the oil industry. There is huge growth in Edmonton and lots of new immigrants because of that. It is very easy to find an entry level job in the oil fields, mostly labour work, and you will have to most likely work up in Fort McMurray, shifts can be 10 days on, 4 days off and the like. Cons- away from home, pros- good money, and a job right away. If you are just looking for a job, you will have no problem in Calgary, since you're not looking for a professional job in your area. And yes, you only pay 5% sales tax in Alberta so that's a bonus. Winters in Calgary can be cold yes, but there's the infrastructure in Canada to keep you warm, so it isn't like you'll freeze. We leave our warm houses, get into warm cars, drive, park, and walk into a warm building. We complain about it every winter, but we survive, as will you wherever you choose to land! Best of luck.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Thanks a lot for that Steph! Took a look at the oil fields jobs, there seem to be indeed a lot, so will keep this as an alternative.

Discussed it with my wife and decided to opt for a smaller city for starters, so have picked Regina. They have very low unemployment, smaller distances etc and after taking a look, found many entry jobs not requiring previous experience, so hope we get settled there.

Thanks again everyone for your answers and help! 8)

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...