+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3-month waiting period for OHIP and pregnancy

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Many of these issues were already answered a few weeks ago and the poster has likely moved on.
I agree. It's not helpful to bump old threads that don't need answers just to move new questions that do actually need help down the page for no good reason.

Hrrcz

May 7, 2020
Hi

I have some doubts about my eligible for OHIP. I came to Canada as a student 5 years and I’m still covered under UHIP (until October). However, I am currently pregnant (still in the first trimester) and I have been unable to secure a job. I am in currently looking for employment and I’m being optimistic that I might get a full-time offer from a potential employer that seem highly interested. I was wondering about my OHIP eligibility and waiting period. I understand that for OHIP i need to reside in Ontario for more than 153 days (which I have) and have not been away for more than 30 days for the first 6 months I lived here. Additionally, my primary residence is in Ontario. I‘m also working towards my Post-graduate work permit and I am eligible to work while I wait. I understand that during this period I will not be eligible for OHIP without a valid work permit, so I’m waiting for a response.

My question is about the consecutive work sequence. It states that I will have to work for at least 6 consecutive months upon my offer letter of employment. The employment I am currently looking at is a full-time job with no contract. Unfortunately, I will not be able to meet this mark as I am due in mid-Novembre. So I’m estimating I will only work consecutively for 4 months. Does that automatically makes me ineligible for OHIP despite the offer is for a full-time position and offers maternity leave?

thanks,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I have some doubts about my eligible for OHIP. I came to Canada as a student 5 years and I’m still covered under UHIP (until October). However, I am currently pregnant (still in the first trimester) and I have been unable to secure a job. I am in currently looking for employment and I’m being optimistic that I might get a full-time offer from a potential employer that seem highly interested. I was wondering about my OHIP eligibility and waiting period. I understand that for OHIP i need to reside in Ontario for more than 153 days (which I have) and have not been away for more than 30 days for the first 6 months I lived here. Additionally, my primary residence is in Ontario. I‘m also working towards my Post-graduate work permit and I am eligible to work while I wait. I understand that during this period I will not be eligible for OHIP without a valid work permit, so I’m waiting for a response.

My question is about the consecutive work sequence. It states that I will have to work for at least 6 consecutive months upon my offer letter of employment. The employment I am currently looking at is a full-time job with no contract. Unfortunately, I will not be able to meet this mark as I am due in mid-Novembre. So I’m estimating I will only work consecutively for 4 months. Does that automatically makes me ineligible for OHIP despite the offer is for a full-time position and offers maternity leave?

thanks,
The being present 5 out of the first 6 months only starts when you have applied for OHIP not before. OHIP coverage is a bit up in the air at the moment since people are getting coverage without having to wait 3 months. That could change soon. The problem is you are unlikely to qualify for OHIP because you have to show that you will be working for 6+ months to qualify. You may also struggle to qualify for EI mat leave payments as well depending whether you are currently working and can meet the 600 hours working in the year before you give birth.

Hrrcz

May 7, 2020
The being present 5 out of the first 6 months only starts when you have applied for OHIP not before. OHIP coverage is a bit up in the air at the moment since people are getting coverage without having to wait 3 months. That could change soon. The problem is you are unlikely to qualify for OHIP because you have to show that you will be working for 6+ months to qualify. You may also struggle to qualify for EI mat leave payments as well depending whether you are currently working and can meet the 600 hours working in the year before you give birth.

Hello,
Thanks for your response! Yes, I have no problem meeting the 5 out of 6 months requirements. It’s the 6+ months work that I’m struggling with. As for EI Mat leave, I have always worked part-time and full-time ever since I came to Canada and I read the requirements for that I need to meet a cumulative 600 insured hours in the last year (which I did considering I worked full-time for the entirety of 2019 due to co-op and part-time up until April of this year). I will meet the 600 hours qualification if I get the offer and work for 4 months. Would you happen to know if I can buy insurance from a third-party then since I might not qualify for OHIP due to the 6 month period?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
Thanks for your response! Yes, I have no problem meeting the 5 out of 6 months requirements. It’s the 6+ months work that I’m struggling with. As for EI Mat leave, I have always worked part-time and full-time ever since I came to Canada and I read the requirements for that I need to meet a cumulative 600 insured hours in the last year (which I did considering I worked full-time for the entirety of 2019 due to co-op and part-time up until April of this year). I will meet the 600 hours qualification if I get the offer and work for 4 months. Would you happen to know if I can buy insurance from a third-party then since I might not qualify for OHIP due to the 6 month period?
No insurance company will cover delivery if you are already pregnant. Most of your work in 2019 won’t count towards Mat leave EI hours. Agree the biggest issue is a OHIP. Don’t think it will be possible for an employer to give you a letter saying you will be working for over 6 months given your due date falls before the 6 month mark.

Hrrcz

May 7, 2020
No insurance company will cover delivery if you are already pregnant. Most of your work in 2019 won’t count towards Mat leave EI hours. Agree the biggest issue is a OHIP. Don’t think it will be possible for an employer to give you a letter saying you will be working for over 6 months given your due date falls before the 6 month mark.
I know most of my 2019 work won‘t count (probably only Nov and Dec.) but thanks to my part-time from January to April 2020 I have been keeping track of my cumulative hours. If it weren‘t for COVID, I would still be employed. Which is why I need to work at least 4 months.

Well, since I was able to get UHIP coverage entended until October I was just wondering to give Sunlife a call and ask about it since there is no way I can pay out of pocket for delivery. I have a midwife so that brought down the costs. It is very unfortunate to hear that an insurance company wont cover for you if you’re already pregnant. I will still call and ask to verify and if there are any alternatives as OHIP is the biggest issue with me right now. I am sure the employer won’t write I can work for 6-months, but they did made me aware of their maternity leave benefits and plans (very positive for me to hear).

Thank you for your responses and hopefully I will get something resolved.

thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I know most of my 2019 work won‘t count (probably only Nov and Dec.) but thanks to my part-time from January to April 2020 I have been keeping track of my cumulative hours. If it weren‘t for COVID, I would still be employed. Which is why I need to work at least 4 months.

Well, since I was able to get UHIP coverage entended until October I was just wondering to give Sunlife a call and ask about it since there is no way I can pay out of pocket for delivery. I have a midwife so that brought down the costs. It is very unfortunate to hear that an insurance company wont cover for you if you’re already pregnant. I will still call and ask to verify and if there are any alternatives as OHIP is the biggest issue with me right now. I am sure the employer won’t write I can work for 6-months, but they did made me aware of their maternity leave benefits and plans (very positive for me to hear).

thanks!
There really is no alternative to OHIP besides paying for the birth yourself. As you are already pregnant, nowhere will give you coverage; it is a guaranteed loss for them, so not smart business. If you can't pay for the delivery here in Canada, you should be making plans to return to your country for the birth.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

thanks!
To calculate your EI hours , ESDC will look at the preceding 52 weeks from the date of your EI application. Example, you apply Oct 2020, system will take the 52 weeks prior to that date, , your qualifying period to calculate your hours . So if you're close too the 600 hours mark, best to squeeze in every possible hour

deleter

Star Member
May 16, 2019
Hello
Can someone please share their experience with the new rule of waiving OHIP's three months waiting time?
My mom is landing as PR on May 31st. Does this new rule apply to her? The OHIP website is not very clear.
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
Can someone please share their experience with the new rule of waiving OHIP's three months waiting time?
My mom is landing as PR on May 31st. Does this new rule apply to her? The OHIP website is not very clear.
Thanks!
She will qualify for OHIP right away. Whether her flight actually leaves is another issue.

Reactions: deleter

Gaurav5911

Jan 23, 2024
Hello,
I am Permanent Resident and my wife is on Visitor Visa. I have applied for her Spouse PR under Family Sponsorship and Biometric, Medical, CSQ is all complete. We are on Background step. My wife is expecting a baby in July/August. I have a health card in Quebec but she doesn't as Quebec doesn't allow for Visitors.
My question is, if I move to Ontario next month, will she be eligible for Health card because her Immigration is in process.
Is it easy to get a doctor for delivery in Ontario?

Thanks!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,
I am Permanent Resident and my wife is on Visitor Visa. I have applied for her Spouse PR under Family Sponsorship and Biometric, Medical, CSQ is all complete. We are on Background step. My wife is expecting a baby in July/August. I have a health card in Quebec but she doesn't as Quebec doesn't allow for Visitors.
My question is, if I move to Ontario next month, will she be eligible for Health card because her Immigration is in process.

Thanks!
Are you sure that OHIP will cover application that's not yet approved? I though I saw someone mentioned that they needed to show AIP. (approved in principle) to get coverage. Also make sure that you are really relocating and will stay in Ontario. There are residence requirement to meet to be covered by OHIP.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

Thanks!
Took me a while to find this post:
You need AIP for that, AOR is not enough.

To OP, if you have had an uncomplicated pregnancy so far and are okay with trying non-interventional birth, then I think the Toronto Birth Centre is a good option since they are a non-profit and don't charge you extra. They do send you to the hospital in case of emergencies. Keep in mind even with uncomplicated pregnancies epidural is a good idea (and emergency c section more likely) if your baby is in a posterior or transverse position but if that's not the case and you think you could handle the pain, you could give it a try. That's IF you're able to cover the hospital expenses if need be. These would include emergency c-sections, inductions, NICU stays, etc. They do have alternative forms of pain relief such as hot tubs, birthing balls, TENS machine, laughing gas etc.

Good luck mama! I am 39 weeks pregnant and will be trying the no epidural route, and I'll be thinking of you! :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Took me a while to find this post:
Was already hard but at the moment even harder to find a midwife with availability partially because so many spouses arriving pregnant. There have been other recent posts with other spouse waiting for sponsorship who had applied to 8 midwifery clinics in Ontario and all had said they were full. You can certainly try but most midwifery clinics are full and have wait lists so can’t count on this.