Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Hi Alex, i came to Ontario 1 year ago, studied at a college, started working as fulltime 1st September 2018. I have just applied ohip, because my original open work permit has just arrived. Do u think i will be waiting for the health card for 3months? You said the waiting period starts from the day you moved to Ontario . if not, do u have an idea of it is really 3 months? Is there a possibility to get it earlier? I am 3 months pregnant, that's why i am asking.. hospital bill for 1 visit is 359cad.
You should be already under OHIP. You can take the application which Service Canada provided while visiting the doctor and they will make a note of your health card number. You should be fine. You are just waiting for the physical card now. Let us know otherwise.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Hii
This is about OHIP for a new permanent resident
My cousin would be landing soon and would only be staying for 4 months and then returning again after few months
While reading eligibility for applying new health card it requires the person to stay for a minimum of 5 months in that particular province..so does that mean she won’t/shouldn’t apply for health card this time?!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hii
This is about OHIP for a new permanent resident
My cousin would be landing soon and would only be staying for 4 months and then returning again after few months
While reading eligibility for applying new health card it requires the person to stay for a minimum of 5 months in that particular province..so does that mean she won’t/shouldn’t apply for health card this time?!
She should apply when she returns and plans to settle permanently in Ontario.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your cousin also needs to be present for the first 5 out of 6 months. Your cousin needs to apply when she returns for good. Then she will start her 3 month wait period. She should take on private medical insurance in case of any emergency.

You may be out of the province for up to 212 days in any 12-month period and still maintain your Ontario health insurance coverage provided that you continue to make Ontario your primary place of residence.

To maintain eligibility for OHIP coverage you must be an eligible resident of Ontario. This means that you must :

• have an OHIP-eligible citizenship/immigration status; and
  • be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
  • be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
  • make your primary place of residence in Ontario.
If you will be out of the province for more than 212 days in any 12-month period, please refer to the Longer Absences from Ontario fact sheet.

Last edited:

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Hi
Can somebody fulfill Pr requirements of living 2 years in 5 years period
But stillnot have ohip coverage as he/she was out of country for more than 7 months in a 12 month period??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
Can somebody fulfill Pr requirements of living 2 years in 5 years period
But stillnot have ohip coverage as he/she was out of country for more than 7 months in a 12 month period??
Yes.

Al_sen

Star Member
Aug 14, 2018
Hello everyone
I have been living in Canada since sep 2017 and recently I got my work permit and I start a new job .
My questions are About ohip
Should I have to go to service Ontario and apply for ohip card¿ and show them that i am living her since that time count to give to me .or I just wait for that 6 months or 3

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone
I have been living in Canada since sep 2017 and recently I got my work permit and I start a new job .
My questions are About ohip
Should I have to go to service Ontario and apply for ohip card¿ and show them that i am living her since that time count to give to me .or I just wait for that 6 months or 3
You need to show that you have a permanent job that will last over 6 months to qualify. Your employer has to write a letter. There are examples on this forum of what needs to be included. You can sign up but it will take 3 months from your permanent employment date to get coverage.

Reactions: Elbagurl and Al_sen

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
No matter how long have you been here, the moment you have open work permit and you have letter of employment indicating you will be working for them 6 months or more FULL TIME ONLY, you can go ahead and apply. 3 months waiting period starts from the day of your work permit and work contract.

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Hi Guys,

Need your help regarding pregnancy. My wife is 1 month pregnant and we both got our COPR and will land in Ontario in Apr 2020. What I could gather from discussion here and other threads was that pregnancy is not covered by any private insurance until we will get our OHIP. I had some questions and would appreciate if you could help

1- Any names of the reliable pregnancy insurance companies which cover most of situations prior to receiving OHIP?
2- After we receive our OHIP everything will be covered for pregnancy? I read somewhere that even on OHIP there is limit of ultrasound scans etc.

Please advise? Thanks very much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

Need your help regarding pregnancy. My wife is 1 month pregnant and we both got our COPR and will land in Ontario in Apr 2020. What I could gather from discussion here and other threads was that pregnancy is not covered by any private insurance until we will get our OHIP. I had some questions and would appreciate if you could help

1- Any names of the reliable pregnancy insurance companies which cover most of situations prior to receiving OHIP?
2- After we receive our OHIP everything will be covered for pregnancy? I read somewhere that even on OHIP there is limit of ultrasound scans etc.

Please advise? Thanks very much!
1. Insurance would only cover emergencies not regular appointments. There seems to be one that covers emergencies up some point in the 2nd trimester.
2. Number of scans are based on scientific literature not what you want although you can pay for non-medical scans. Normally you get 1-2 scans unless there are problems in your pregnancy. Any form of medication would not be covered and your wife would need to work 600 hours to qualify for maternity leave payments which are a fraction of a normal salary.

Reactions: eninevo

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
1. Insurance would only cover emergencies not regular appointments. There seems to be one that covers emergencies up some point in the 2nd trimester.
2. Number of scans are based on scientific literature not what you want although you can pay for non-medical scans. Normally you get 1-2 scans unless there are problems in your pregnancy. Any form of medication would not be covered and your wife would need to work 600 hours to qualify for maternity leave payments which are a fraction of a normal salary.
Dear @canuck78 thanks very much for your prompt reply and kind guidance. Mean a lot to me! Even with OHIP i have to pay for medication, wow! thats gonna be a bill!

Guys, would anyone of you who have used the pregnancy medical insurance, please share the name of the company so that I can have some piece of mind of paying for it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear @canuck78 thanks very much for your prompt reply and kind guidance. Mean a lot to me! Even with OHIP i have to pay for medication, wow! thats gonna be a bill!

Guys, would anyone of you who have used the pregnancy medical insurance, please share the name of the company so that I can have some piece of mind of paying for it?
Think you need to review what OHIP covers. Canada has partial Medicare not full. Adults between 25-65 pay for medication outside the hospital. That is why finding a job with extended health coverage is something people seek out so you can have coverage/partial coverage for eye glasses, dental, physiotherapy, medical devices, private or semi-private hospital rooms, etc. If you don’t have insurance you have to pay for it. Lots of things listed that area also not covered. Seniors even pay for public longterm care homes although at $1000/month it is heavily subsidized.

Reactions: YVR123 and eninevo

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Think you need to review what OHIP covers. Canada has partial Medicare not full. Adults between 25-65 pay for medication outside the hospital. That is why finding a job with extended health coverage is something people seek out so you can have coverage/partial coverage for eye glasses, dental, physiotherapy, medical devices, private or semi-private hospital rooms, etc. If you don’t have insurance you have to pay for it. Lots of things listed that area also not covered. Seniors even pay for public longterm care homes although at $1000/month it is heavily subsidized.
Dear @canuck78 thanks very much again! Your kind help has made me more knowledgeable. If I have anymore questions, I will disturb you again. Apologies in advance and God bless you million times for your help!