+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

24 hours urgent passport processing: Please share your experience/advise

fairooz

Star Member
Feb 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

My oath is on October 04,2014 and I'm scheduled to travel to the US on October 09. The trip was booked well in advance and unfortunately cannot be changed or refunded. My current passport is not visa exempt and I intend to apply for my Canadian passport as soon as possible after my oath.

Has anyone used the 24 hour urgent passport service? If so,could you please share your experiences/advise? As my oath is on Saturday,when is the earliest I can apply for the passport?

Thank you very much for your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To the best of my knowledge you have to wait 2 business days before applying for a passport. So that means the earliest you would be able to apply is the following Wednesday (October 8th).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add... I'm not 100% about the 2 business day wait. A friend of mind had to wait 2 business days last year or the year before after taking the oath. I don't know if this rule still exists.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scylla said:
Just to add... I'm not 100% about the 2 business day wait. A friend of mind had to wait 2 business days last year or the year before after taking the oath. I don't know if this rule still exists.
Yes, it still exists.

fairooz

Star Member
Feb 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you very much for your input Scylla and PMM, much appreciated! Any advice on what my course of action could be?

Wleed2013

May 12, 2013
Hi Guys,

From my personal experience, had to wait 2 business days before I apply in London Ontario. That was around the first week of April 2014.Best of luck to everyone. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
fairooz said:
Thank you very much for your input Scylla and PMM, much appreciated! Any advice on what my course of action could be?

Your options are extremely limited.

Since you can't apply for your passport until the 8th and you travel on the 9th - unless your flight is in the evening, you won't have your Canadian passport in time.

If your flight is scheduled to leave during the day, buy a one way ticket to the same destination that doesn't leave until the late evening. That's the only option I see...

Chrysss

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fairooz said:
Hello everyone,

My oath is on October 04,2014 and I'm scheduled to travel to the US on October 09. The trip was booked well in advance and unfortunately cannot be changed or refunded. My current passport is not visa exempt and I intend to apply for my Canadian passport as soon as possible after my oath.

Has anyone used the 24 hour urgent passport service? If so,could you please share your experiences/advise? As my oath is on Saturday,when is the earliest I can apply for the passport?

Thank you very much for your help!
I think you'll be able to apply for passport on October 7th for urgent processing and can get it by October 8th. Just go to Passport Office on October 6th morning and try to apply. If they don't find you in database, go again on October 7th. I am 99.95% sure they'd find you in database by that time.

If not, apply on October 8th and pick-up October 9th early morning.

When you go, make sure you take proof of travel and a detailed letter explaining why travel date can not be changed/moved. Why is it urgent.

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fairooz, call CIC and check possibility of delaying the oath to a later date.

fairooz

Star Member
Feb 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my question. Chrysss, I especially like your idea and will definitely try that out, never know till you try right :) I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks so much again!

MKJ

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Seniors and Proud Canadians,

Just curious, if one has to apply for passport under normal (10 days or so) processing, do they still have to wait for 2 days after Oath?

Do they check data base right away?

Appreciate your time.

Thanks and Regards

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MKJ said:
Hello Seniors and Proud Canadians,

Just curious, if one has to apply for passport under normal (10 days or so) processing, do they still have to wait for 2 days after Oath?

Do they check data base right away?

Appreciate your time.

Thanks and Regards
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/notice-new-cit.asp

"Recipients of the new certificate who are scheduled for a citizenship ceremony will need to wait at least two business days after their ceremony before they can apply for services such as a passport."

MKJ

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
alphazip said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/notice-new-cit.asp

"Recipients of the new certificate who are scheduled for a citizenship ceremony will need to wait at least two business days after their ceremony before they can apply for services such as a passport."
Thank you so much alphazip

Cheers

fairooz

Star Member
Feb 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys, just wanted to provide an update. I had my Oath last Saturday (4th) and went to try my luck at Passport Canada today. Luckily they found me in the system and I will pick up my passport tomorrow. Thank you everyone, especially chrysss for your time and advice, much appreciated!