+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

>>>>>> 2021 TR to PR Pathway AOR & Timelines <<<<<< Join here

CherAmie

Mar 23, 2022
This may not apply to a lot of people but for those applying for OWP under TR2PR who want to MAXIMIZE the expiry date to the allowable Dec 31, 2024:

IRCC is only supposed to approve new permits for a length of time no longer than the expiry of your Passport (valid travel documents), AND your Biometrics (this is harder to find, but it is on IRCC's website).

Under the OWP for TR2PR pathway info, IRCC recommends you renew your passport before applying if it expires before the maximum OWP validity period of Dec 31, 2024. It is not as obvious on IRCC's website, but agent guidelines state that the same applies for Biometrics:
  • When issuing an immigration document, the officer must ensure its validity does not exceed the remaining validity of the applicant’s biometrics. Applicants may choose to voluntarily re-enroll their biometrics and pay the required fee before the end of the 10-year period, which allows applicants to apply for a visa that extends beyond their current biometric validity. For example, applicants who want to apply for a new 10-year visa, and who last enrolled their biometrics 8 years ago, can obtain a visa for a maximum of only 2 years. If they wish to obtain a visa for a longer period, such as, the full 10 years, they need to resubmit their biometrics and pay the $85 fee.
So, you can pay the fee & request a new BIL letter with your OWP application (quoting the reason in paragraph above from IRCC's website), or if you have already submitted your OWP application, you can still pay the $85 fee and submit the receipt via webform with a letter requesting a new BIL (also quoting the reason in paragraph above from IRCC's website). Generally you cannot do this after your new OWP has already been approved under the newer extended policy (but it might be possible if you have the older version of the OWP for TR2PR applicants--you'll have to check).

I do hope we all get PR long before the end of 2024 but if you're like me and want to maximize validity periods of what you pay for, you may want to consider the remaining length of your Biometric validity -- in addition to your Passport validity -- BEFORE APPLYING.

Best Wishes! :cool:

Last edited:

OGGOLDEN

Star Member
Feb 11, 2020
This may not apply to a lot of people but for those applying for OWP under TR2PR who want to MAXIMIZE the expiry date to the allowable Dec 31, 2024:

IRCC is only supposed to approve new permits for a length of time no longer than the expiry of your Passport (valid travel documents), AND your Biometrics (this is harder to find, but it is on IRCC's website).

Under the OWP for TR2PR pathway info, IRCC recommends you renew your passport before applying if it expires before the maximum OWP validity period of Dec 31, 2024. It is not as obvious on IRCC's website, but agent guidelines state that the same applies for Biometrics:
  • When issuing an immigration document, the officer must ensure its validity does not exceed the remaining validity of the applicant’s biometrics. Applicants may choose to voluntarily re-enroll their biometrics and pay the required fee before the end of the 10-year period, which allows applicants to apply for a visa that extends beyond their current biometric validity. For example, applicants who want to apply for a new 10-year visa, and who last enrolled their biometrics 8 years ago, can obtain a visa for a maximum of only 2 years. If they wish to obtain a visa for a longer period, such as, the full 10 years, they need to resubmit their biometrics and pay the $85 fee.
So, you can pay the fee & request a new BIL letter with your OWP application (quoting the reason in paragraph above from IRCC's website), or if you have already submitted your OWP application, you can still pay the $85 fee and submit the receipt via webform with a letter requesting a new BIL (also quoting the reason in paragraph above from IRCC's website). You cannot do this after your new OWP has already been approved.

I do hope we all get PR long before the end of 2024 but if you're like me and want to maximize validity periods of what you pay for, you may want to consider the remaining length of your Biometric validity -- in addition to your Passport validity -- BEFORE APPLYING.

Best Wishes! :cool:
I applied under for a work permit under TR to PR and got a wp till my passport expiry date. In my wp there's an observation/remarks that says I must renew my passport to extend my wp through trpr. Again renewing your passport in some Embassy takes time. My husband has never done biometrics in or outside Canada since he moved here in 2017 but he got a trpr wp till Dec 2024, unless you're very sure please don't pass misleading informations.

SmzAmir

Oct 24, 2021
I applied under for a work permit under TR to PR and got a wp till my passport expiry date. In my wp there's an observation/remarks that says I must renew my passport to extend my wp through trpr. Again renewing your passport in some Embassy takes time. My husband has never done biometrics in or outside Canada since he moved here in 2017 but he got a trpr wp till Dec 2024, unless you're very sure please don't pass misleading informations.
What @CherAmie mentioned is generally correct. The status of a temporary resident applicant in Canada cannot be beyond either the expiry date of their passport or their biometrics validity, which ever comes first.
That's why you have that remark in your issued WP.

Foreign nationals between ages 14 and 79 must submit biometrics if they are applying within Canada as a:

foreign worker (including work permit extension)
international student (including study permit extension)
visa-required visitor (including extending stay)
permanent resident.
Biometrics are required to extend permits and visas if the applicant's previously given biometrics are no longer valid.

All permanent resident applications from family, economic, and refugee class require biometrics.

Regarding your husband, there are some exceptions where the applicant do not have to provide biometrics.

Applicants in the following categories are not required to give biometrics to travel:
  • Canadian citizens, citizenship applicants (including passport applicants), or existing permanent residents;
  • visa-exempt nationals coming to Canada as tourists who hold a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA);
  • children under the age of 14;
  • applicants over the age of 79 (there is no upper age exemption for asylum claimants);
  • heads of state and heads of government;
  • cabinet ministers and accredited diplomats of other countries and the United Nations, coming to Canada on official business;
  • U.S. visa holders transiting through Canada;
  • refugee claimants or protected persons who have already provided biometrics and are applying for a study or work permit;
  • temporary resident applicants who have already provided biometrics in support of a permanent resident application that is still in progress
https://www.canadavisa.com/visiting-canada-biometrics.html#exemptions

Last edited:
Reactions: CherAmie

CherAmie

Mar 23, 2022
I am very sure of my information or I would not have taken the time to share it in detail including quotes from IRCC's website, however, that does not exclude the fact that IRCC can have slightly different rules for different groups and sometimes may even overlook/revise/temporarily change certain aspects of their own 'policies & rules' as they have been doing especially over the past few years of Covid. Everything I stated comes from IRCC's own communications and information on their own website, and was confirmed by agents at their call centre when I called to ensure I was reading the information correctly. The scenario I refer to is my own exact situation where, although my passport is valid beyond Dec 31, 2024, my Biometrics expire early in 2024. So, although I had already applied for an OWP under TR2PR at the end of July, 2022, less than a week later IRCC advised me that if I want to maximize the validity of my OWP, I will have to pay the fee, request a new BIL, and submit the fee receipt & request by webform (because I had already applied for the OWP). It is possible that we both are correct for our particular situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: OGGOLDEN

CherAmie

Mar 23, 2022
FYI -- online services are still down at IRCC per their Twitter account 15 minutes ago ( I can get to website but can't sign-in to account):
IRCC
"Our online services are down. This is being examined and we will provide an update once available. Thank you for your patience."
I was able to sign into my account. ONLINE SERVICES ARE WORKING AGAIN as of ~ 2 hours ago.

Lola247

Jul 11, 2020
No problem. It depends on the officer's decision. When you receive portal, you will be asked to provide your country of resident. If it's outside Canada, the officer may ask for medical exam before sending the confirmation of permanent residency.
Thank you so much @SmzAmir . You are always so helpful and have a wealth of knowledge.
Hope it's your turn for PR soon. You've been waiting so long already.

hyeng

Dec 9, 2021
Hi guys,

It’s been 8 months since I got AOR (Dec 9, 2021). My medical passed In 2021 then changed to “we do not need medical” in May 2022. And it changed back to “passed” Aug 25,2022. Does it mean someone finally started working on my application again?

• Angry
Reactions: maxiie

CherAmie

Mar 23, 2022
Hi guys,

It’s been 8 months since I got AOR (Dec 9, 2021). My medical passed In 2021 then changed to “we do not need medical” in May 2022. And it changed back to “passed” Aug 25,2022. Does it mean someone finally started working on my application again?
Yes, that’s what it looks like. You’re overdue for some progress so keep us posted!

Reactions: jacob1234

AnD2021

Star Member
Jun 23, 2022
Hi guys,

We are in a similar situation.

AOR Feb 7 2022. ADR in July. Submitted ADR info before deadline. No movement since.

Medicals and biometrics is all that has been passed.

Stream A, 3 dependants. Primary office sydney, secondary Whitehorse.

Processing officer SM10353.

jacob1234

Aug 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Hi guys,

You will receive the portal within a month or sooner based on the previous timelines.

Reactions: CherAmie

maxiie

Champion Member
Jul 21, 2021
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
15-07-2021
Even the Ofc of Info commissioner's ofcr is sleeping. They had assigned an ofcr to investigate my request for 2nd set of gcms notes. But that officer went to sleep just like Visa ofcr lol

Ekaur

Jul 18, 2022
Hi, I have received request letter for Biometric. I have already paid the fee. Should I wait for Biometric instruction letter or book biometric appt nearby?

ricksolomon

Nov 9, 2021
To anyone who has received their PR card, how long is your waiting time between receiving eCOPR until the card actually shows up on your doorsteps?

Is it delivered with regular mail or with DHL (signature required?)

SmzAmir

Oct 24, 2021
To anyone who has received their PR card, how long is your waiting time between receiving eCOPR until the card actually shows up on your doorsteps?

Is it delivered with regular mail or with DHL (signature required?)
You can check this webpage for the processing time. Look for the first PR card from the permanent residency card selection.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

IRCC posts the documents with Canada post.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricksolomon