+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2020 Dec Soft Landing Experience via Peace Bridge and Return using AVR

ravaro

Dec 13, 2020
I successfully completed my soft landing with my wife on December 10 at Peace Bridge and entered back using AVR. I am on H1b visa which got renewed earlier this year and my wife is on H4 dependent visa. My h1b stamp on passport has expired. Following is my experience:

Canada side:

Entered the Canada side of Peace Bridge and officer at the post asked me the purpose of the visit. I mentioned I am here for my PR stamping and planning to return back today itself to U.S. Officer asked why I am not moving today and going back. I explained due to the pandemic I would like to move later in the summer. Officer wasn't sure and looked a bit confused so he confirmed by asking "you want to move to Canada but at your own convenience, is that correct?". I replied yes. I was given a yellow slip and was asked to park and enter the building with my documents.

Inside the building another officer asked me the purpose and I had to explain why I am not moving today and planning to return back. I told due to covid my current employer doesn't allow to work from Canada. She seemed to be fine with that. Asked me the GTF and I told her I won't be submitting anything today. She told me I won't be able to submit it again in future. I was fine with that. I handed over the Copr, passports and bank statements as financial proof. Officer told me I won't be getting a pr card as they are not delivering to other addresses these days. Copr was stamped and stapled to the passport and I took a U-turn and started driving towards the U.S side.

Nobody at the Canadian side seemed to have any issue with the soft-landing even though its not officially allowed. All the officers were nice.

U.S side:

At the U.S side I was asked to handover passports. They asked the country of citizenship. I mentioned we are returning back using AVR and passed over i-797. Officer asked the duration of our visit to Canada and the purpose. I answered 20 minutes and wanted to get my Canadian pr stamped. I was also asked where I live and what I do. They took my passports and asked to park in front of a building and wait inside for a new stamping on the passport. They called my name inside and asked if I wanted to get paper i-94 which makes things more convenient for the officers. I agreed to that and paid 6$s per i-94 printout. They stamped and stapled the paper i-94 to my passport and we were all set to go. Again, officers were quite familiar with the AVR process.

The entire process took not more than one hour.

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Hi @ravaro,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Regarding the PR card - were you not allowed to give your friend's address or was it your decision not to give anyone's address?

rj16

Star Member
May 19, 2015
New Jersey, USA
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
I successfully completed my soft landing with my wife on December 10 at Peace Bridge and entered back using AVR. I am on H1b visa which got renewed earlier this year and my wife is on H4 dependent visa. My h1b stamp on passport has expired. Following is my experience:

Canada side:

Entered the Canada side of Peace Bridge and officer at the post asked me the purpose of the visit. I mentioned I am here for my PR stamping and planning to return back today itself to U.S. Officer asked why I am not moving today and going back. I explained due to the pandemic I would like to move later in the summer. Officer wasn't sure and looked a bit confused so he confirmed by asking "you want to move to Canada but at your own convenience, is that correct?". I replied yes. I was given a yellow slip and was asked to park and enter the building with my documents.

Inside the building another officer asked me the purpose and I had to explain why I am not moving today and planning to return back. I told due to covid my current employer doesn't allow to work from Canada. She seemed to be fine with that. Asked me the GTF and I told her I won't be submitting anything today. She told me I won't be able to submit it again in future. I was fine with that. I handed over the Copr, passports and bank statements as financial proof. Officer told me I won't be getting a pr card as they are not delivering to other addresses these days. Copr was stamped and stapled to the passport and I took a U-turn and started driving towards the U.S side.

Nobody at the Canadian side seemed to have any issue with the soft-landing even though its not officially allowed. All the officers were nice.

U.S side:

At the U.S side I was asked to handover passports. They asked the country of citizenship. I mentioned we are returning back using AVR and passed over i-797. Officer asked the duration of our visit to Canada and the purpose. I answered 20 minutes and wanted to get my Canadian pr stamped. I was also asked where I live and what I do. They took my passports and asked to park in front of a building and wait inside for a new stamping on the passport. They called my name inside and asked if I wanted to get paper i-94 which makes things more convenient for the officers. I agreed to that and paid 6$s per i-94 printout. They stamped and stapled the paper i-94 to my passport and we were all set to go. Again, officers were quite familiar with the AVR process.

The entire process took not more than one hour.
Hi, congrats on getting the landing formalities completed.
Did the Canada side ask for a quarantine plan before allowing entry? I’m asking because I want cross the border and come back the same day. I keep reading they require you to quarantine for 15 days minimum and we need to submit the plan before they allow entry.
My landing has been completed already last year, so I’m officially a Canada PR.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Did the Canada side ask for a quarantine plan before allowing entry? I’m asking because I want cross the border and come back the same day. I keep reading they require you to quarantine for 15 days minimum and we need to submit the plan before they allow entry.
Quarantine must and you have nil chances of getting any exceptions. I am not sure what you plan to do in one day because you cannot go anywhere during quarantine. so you’d have to book an airbnb or hotel for 14 days and head straight to it after you enter. On 15th day you are allowed to do whatever you want. you can definitely leave Canada on the same day of entering, but cannot get any work done anywhere within Canada on that day

land borders are open only for essential travel. They will ask you what brings you to Canada as a first question. Make sure you have clear valid reason. as a PR they cannot deny you entry (but still can ask you to fly), but will definitely ask you to quarantine for 14 days. they will ask for an address and ask if you’ll have access to food and grocery. if you want to face less scrutiny on your entry from cbsa on your entry itself, better to fly as there are no essential travel restrictions for flying. But still not possible to do away quarantine

Last edited:

ravaro

Dec 13, 2020
You might have to provide full quarantine plan and follow it seriously in case you are planning to cross the border and spend any time in the country.

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
@peacefulpal Do we need to enter again before PRV is expired ? For example if COPR and PR Visa is approved till 31st January, 2021 and we do soft landing now, are we allowed to enter again till 31st January only ? @legalfalcon your inputs are also most welcomed.
@Visa Aspirant I'm not 100% sure on this - as per my knowledge, we can enter after the PRV expiration date. I'm in the same boat - need to enter Canada before my COPR expires on Feb 2021. Are you planning to do a soft landing?

thirdpage

Oct 17, 2019
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-10-2019
Passport Req..
27-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-12-2020
Are there specific days of the week when intending PRs can land through the border and turn back?

ravaro

Dec 13, 2020
Are there specific days of the week when intending PRs can land through the border and turn back?
I don't think there are any specific days when this is allowed. Just check if the office is open. Some people have done soft landing on Saturday as well based on other posts.

Reactions: thirdpage

thirdpage

Oct 17, 2019
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-10-2019
Passport Req..
27-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-12-2020
The day/ time doesn't matter, the officer and mood he/she is in does.
Out of curiosity -Which land border are you planning for?
Thanks for the information. I am planning for Fort Erie (Peace Bridge).

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
For folks who have successfully completed landing at Peace bridge - did you guys call border prior to confirm if it is ok and what was their response?