+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2019 PEQ - Travailleur application

oddbobbins

Sep 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

I mailed my application for a CSQ under the PEQ foreign worker program to MIDI on Thursday, September 26. I realize that not much time has passed, but when can I expect to be charged the processing fee or to receive an acknowledgement of receipt? Is the AOR the same letter as the receipt for the processing fee? Will this mail be registered mail (I've never received a registered letter before) or normal mail? On that note, should I have sent the application by registered mail?

As a side note, I've seen on this forum that in the past, TEFAQ scores were often contested but that this is less of a concern now. Is that the case? I have B2's in comprehension and expression; I'm pretty busy at work (I do indeed work full-time!) so I would rather not have to take more time off to attend an interview or retake the TEFAQ. In terms of racial targeting, my passport and only citizenship are American but it's evident from the TEFAQ results notification that my ancestors would have been targeted.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hi everyone,

I mailed my application for a CSQ under the PEQ foreign worker program to MIDI on Thursday, September 26. I realize that not much time has passed, but when can I expect to be charged the processing fee or to receive an acknowledgement of receipt? Is the AOR the same letter as the receipt for the processing fee? Will this mail be registered mail (I've never received a registered letter before) or normal mail? On that note, should I have sent the application by registered mail?

As a side note, I've seen on this forum that in the past, TEFAQ scores were often contested but that this is less of a concern now. Is that the case? I have B2's in comprehension and expression; I'm pretty busy at work (I do indeed work full-time!) so I would rather not have to take more time off to attend an interview or retake the TEFAQ. In terms of racial targeting, my passport and only citizenship are American but it's evident from the TEFAQ results notification that my ancestors would have been targeted.

Thanks!
Chances are for clean sweep in your case. Don't worry, you will get your csq in 5 weeks max. All the best

oddbobbins

Sep 30, 2019
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll post an update when one becomes available to add to this forum's data, but do you know where previous statistics came from? Informal surveys on forums? Actual published numbers of interviews and interview failures?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll post an update when one becomes available to add to this forum's data, but do you know where previous statistics came from? Informal surveys on forums? Actual published numbers of interviews and interview failures?
Informal surveys only

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Tangential question,
> my passport and only citizenship are American

If you have American citizenship, why bother with the pain of going thru Quebec to be a Canadian resident ? Are you currently on TN visa ?

oddbobbins

Sep 30, 2019
Tangential question,
> my passport and only citizenship are American

If you have American citizenship, why bother with the pain of going thru Quebec to be a Canadian resident ? Are you currently on TN visa ?
I'm on a PGWP. I live in the province, have a pretty great job right now, and also... hate moving.

I'm aware of the TN visa, but my profession (coding) is technically not covered by it. I know people who've described their jobs in appropriately vague terms to get through, though.

Last edited:

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
I'm on a PGWP. I live in the province, have a pretty great job right now, and also... hate moving.

I'm aware of the TN visa, but my profession (coding) is technically not covered by it. I know people who've described their jobs in appropriately vague terms to get through, though.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess NAFTA TN visa mandates to have the word "Engineer or Engineering" in your degree.
I have read stories of TN visa rejection when crossing over to US but not so much vice versa.

oddbobbins

Sep 30, 2019
As an update,

Having initially submitted my application on September 26, I received my CSQ last week, sometime between November 22 and 29 (I was away from home and couldn't check my mail). These were not normal circumstances: my credit card was destroyed on October 4 and I thoughtlessly cancelled it so that I could receive a new one. MIFI had not yet charged the old number, and when I called them to see if I could register a new card I was told I had to wait for them to reject the application and mail it back. However, I found out that they had opened the file for my application on October 4. That means it took 6 business days for MIFI to receive the application (mailed from Montreal) and open the file.

I ended up receiving the returned application, which contains a letter of refusal that must be included in the package you mail back, on October 16 (8 business days later). I mailed the application anew on October 17. The CSQ states that it was issued on November 19 (23 business days after re-mailing).

I don't send much mail, but I think Canada Post adds 2-3 business days of friction (as promised) to mail sent within the same region. By that estimate, the whole process took about as much time as previously advertised: ~20 days. I hope this is a helpful reference for the current timeline and strongly recommend keeping the card you let MIFI charge safe to save a significant amount of time.

Aayush123

Dec 21, 2019
Thank you for your experience @oddbobbins. I have similar questions as you had described in your original post. I had sent the application on 26th December but haven't heard anything yet. Since I had sent the application by regular mail, it has been adding to my anxiety. Therefore, I would like to know if:
1) MIFI sends Acknowledge of receipt of the PEQ application or any other acknowledgement letter?
2) Did you speak to the the MIFI representative in French or English?

nguyenquan233

Aug 4, 2019
I called multiple times and always spoke in French also
Hey, thank you for sharing. I'm wondering now since I'm also applying for the PEQ graduate stream like you but I haven't heard any news. I sent the application on Nov 18th, got an acknowledgment letter on December 16th but until now still no response. Do you think that the fact you called multiple times helped the process?

Anna94

Feb 21, 2020
Hey, thank you for sharing. I'm wondering now since I'm also applying for the PEQ graduate stream like you but I haven't heard any news. I sent the application on Nov 18th, got an acknowledgment letter on December 16th but until now still no response. Do you think that the fact you called multiple times helped the process?
We have almost the same timeline, any news now?