Torablack

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hello Everyone,

I am curious about the cohabitation clause for inland applicants. Does anyone know for how long the sponsor and PA must stay living together during the process? I am hoping to be able to start school in a different city starting in January. If our application is not complete by then, my partner will be coming with me, and taking a semester off from his school in our current city, so we will stay cohabiting, or I may try to defer one semester. It is annoying, but we do not want to risk our application and definitely do not plan to lie. However, it seems like people are now landing before the 12 month mark. We applied in mid-Feb 2018, so it seems to me that we might get DM in December. At what point is the application process complete? Once there is a DM for both of us, could we live apart then? Or do we have to wait until my partner has done the landing interview and landed?

Thanks in advance!
My advice is to keep the same address regardless. Don't change it mid way while your application is currently being processed. The timelines are getting faster as Jan 2018 applicants are now getting approvals/DM. I wouldn't be surprise if Feb 2018 start getting theirs at the end of Nov 2018.

accioio

Sep 18, 2018
Hello,
It is best, as others have suggested, and as you have already concluded, to perhaps seek advise from a professional.

If you and your spouse lived together in Canada (in your same address/building/home) and then your spouse later on was accepted to a College and had to live in a different city due to the College being in a different city, and if you have been providing her with monetary/financial support (that you can prove that you are doing) while she has been in College, then it would make logic sense that perhaps CIC may reconsider their decision, since it's a unique set of circumstances. I don't know if this was your situation, but if it was, it probably can be reconsidered by them. It's up to CIC and rules. But at the end, seeking professional advise is best.

Best of luck to you.
I personally don't want to risk being in a grey area. I have read the policy for inland sponsorship and they say very explicitly that cohabiting means being living in the same place. I guess it would be somewhat subjective but I'm not sure I would chance it. I will be asking my lawyer but just trying to get an idea of what we want to plan first. If we find from my lawyer of somewhere else that DM means the application is complete, I feel like I would be more comfortable with living apart then. I believe the policy says cohabitation must occur during the application process, and I would think that once there is a DM, the landing process begins, which would be considered separate from the application process (since the application would be approved or rejected at that point). I will double check this before making any final decisions though.

Tabz-94

Mar 28, 2017
Ajax
Category........
FAM
January 22nd Principal Applicant, received Eligibility passed message in my CIC account
Hey

Can you please share your timeline?
Me and my spouse applied on Jan 23.
- Confirmation received from CIC on Feb 22.
- PCC and Schedule A requested on March 16
- received by CIC on April 10
- medical request recieved on July 11
- medical done on July 19

And we are waiting for the next step...

accioio

Sep 18, 2018
I personally don't want to risk being in a grey area. I have read the policy for inland sponsorship and they say very explicitly that cohabiting means being living in the same place. I guess it would be somewhat subjective but I'm not sure I would chance it. I will be asking my lawyer but just trying to get an idea of what we want to plan first. If we find from my lawyer of somewhere else that DM means the application is complete, I feel like I would be more comfortable with living apart then. I believe the policy says cohabitation must occur during the application process, and I would think that once there is a DM, the landing process begins, which would be considered separate from the application process (since the application would be approved or rejected at that point). I will double check this before making any final decisions though.
Upon further research, I believe we must wait until landing.
"Persons who are not cohabiting with their sponsor at the time CIC seeks to grant permanent residence (persons who have been removed or who have left Canada voluntarily), are not eligible to be granted permanent residence in the Spouse or common-law partner class and may apply in the family class (overseas). "

Last edited:

accioio

Sep 18, 2018
Hey

Can you please share your timeline?
Me and my spouse applied on Jan 23.
- Confirmation received from CIC on Feb 22.
- PCC and Schedule A requested on March 16
- received by CIC on April 10
- medical request recieved on July 11
- medical done on July 19

And we are waiting for the next step...
I notice you don't have a "medical passed" update like some others. It is the same for my partner, his medical was requested Aug 9 I believe and received one week later, but there was no update on being passed or not. Is this normal?

Tabz-94

Mar 28, 2017
Ajax
Category........
FAM
I notice you don't have a "medical passed" update like some others. It is the same for my partner, his medical was requested Aug 9 I believe and received one week later, but there was no update on being passed or not. Is this normal?
But my cic online says that medical tests received

monicaC

Mar 26, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Hey! Does any one know how long from doing the lading interview it takes to receive your PR card in the mail?
Just received DM and hoping to be heading overseas around the New Year. Seems unlikely but wishful!
I think its possible! It might be close though... I think it takes around 60 days but i read in the 2017 forum that someone received theirs in 51 days. You could check the 2017 forum or ask and see how long people waited

accioio

Sep 18, 2018
Here are some good resources for anyone interested! Not sure if these have been shared anywhere, sorry for double posting if they have.

IP 8 Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada Class:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip08-eng.pdf

Other useful ones:
OP 2 Processing Members of the Family Class:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

IP 2 Processing Applications to Sponsor Members of the Family Class
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf

Evergreen_3034

Jun 18, 2018
Is medical tests recieved and medical passed two different things?
Hi, not sure if they are the same.
In my case, I got 'medical request' and then my online CIC status was updated to 'medical passed' once my results were sent to CIC by the physician. I never got an update on my online account that says 'medical received'.

accioio

Sep 18, 2018
Can We go to for flagpolling and get OWP at the border?
Firstly, what is her status?
Because (from guide 5553):
Note: If your application is rejected as “incomplete”, it is considered to have never been submitted and therefore you would not benefit from ‘implied status’. If you reapply after your current status has expired, you will need to apply for restoration of status. See the section Restoration of Status.

With inland applications there is a risk with flagpolling if she is denied entry into Canada. This could cause the PR application to be rejected because if she is denied entry to Canada, then she is no longer fulfilling the cohabitation requirement of the application.

Also, from guide 5553:
If you have applied to extend your work permit and plan to travel outside Canada while your application is in process, you can leave and come back. However, one of three things will happen when you return to Canada:

• If we haven’t made a decision on your work permit, you may be allowed to come back to Canada as a visitor. If this is the case, you can’t work until you get your new work permit. The officer at the port of entry may ask you to prove that you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
  • You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a worker, if the officer at the port of entry determines that we issued your work permit while you were away.
  • You may be asked to apply for a new work permit at the port of entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html#5553E2

jimbo2093

Star Member
Aug 30, 2018
Medical requested today :D by all accounts that's pretty fast right?
Secondly, does this mean my sponsor is approved?
Thirdly, when can I expect my work permit?
Please see timeline in signature.
Thanks in advance for any insight!

Reactions: KBsandhu