+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

prschn

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
You can apply outland even though you're both in Canada because there is no requirement within outland to be living together at the time of application. On the other hand, inland requires that hence it's legit they will refuse you under inland class.
Since you're still intending to remain in the same situation for the coming months, you may resubmit the application under outland category from within Canada.

Do you think that this is the only reason for the rejection?

Do the sponsor usually get sponsorship approval in a few days after they submit the application? which i did not get and it was worrying for me and it ended up like this.

Time line below:

Application sent early Jan.
Received by CIC on Jan 15.
Schedule A and police cert. requested in Feb and was submitted in a few days.
medical request on july and was submitted within deadline.

If you see my timeline I never got any approval from my cic that am eligble to be a sponsor until today. Is there anything weird in this timeline?

otawadublin

Jul 26, 2018

Do the sponsor usually get sponsorship approval in a few days after they submit the application? which i did not get and it was worrying for me and it ended up like this.

Time line below:

If you see my timeline I never got any approval from my cic that am eligble to be a sponsor until today. Is there anything weird in this timeline?
I have the exact same timeline as you and just got Sponsor Approval last night. I think it only comes at the end of the application.

Reactions: Betabr

elomam

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Montreal

Time line below:

Yes it is the only reason for rejection based on the email you received.
No the Sponsor Approval comes at near the end of finalizing the application for inland applicants. So it was normal that your eligibility as a sponsor been verified at the near end of the process.

Torablack

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga

Time line below:

Prschn, there is nothing wrong with your timeline. SA does not come within days of the application being submitted. I submitted my inland app in March and still have NOT got my approval to be a sponsor

Kayden

Dec 12, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........

Time line below:

Only outland applicants receive sponsor approval within the first month of submitting the applicant to continue with the processing. With inland sponsor approval comes almost to the end of the process.

prschn

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Only outland applicants receive sponsor approval within the first month of submitting the applicant to continue with the processing. With inland sponsor approval comes almost to the end of the process.
Thank you everyone for the kind suggestions. I will be contacting a immigration lawyer to see if anything can be done to this application.
Also will be looking into applying as an outland applicant.

Will keep the results posted.

Thank you once again

Evergreen_3034

Jun 18, 2018
Guys,

Please help. I submitted an inland application for my spouse on Jan 2018.

It was received by CIC on Jan 15, 2018
Schedule A & police cert requested and submitted.
Medical requested & submitted in July 2018

and today i received the following letter stating that my application has been rejected.

This refers to the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class you submitted to this office on behalf of (if applicable). I have reviewed your application and regret to advise that you are not an eligible sponsor for the following reason(s): You have not submitted an application for a member of the family class. You and the applicant were not cohabiting at the time of submitting your application. As such, the applicant is not a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Therefore, you do not meet regulation 133(1 )(a) with respect to regulations I 30(1)(c) and 124(a). Please refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations below for details. Given this ineligibility issue, we have not reviewed any other sponsorship criteria at this time.

You indicated on your sponsorship application that you wish to continue with its processing regardless of any ineligibility. The Application for Permanent Residence (APR) for your relative will be processed separately and she will be contacted shortly.

Your ineligibility to sponsor will be a significant factor in the assessment of the Application for Permanent Residence for your relative(s). A final decision regarding that application shall be made and will be communicated to your relative. If you received this communication via email, please note that another copy wilt not be mailed to you. IMPORTANT: Passport(s) for your sponsored family member(s) must be valid for the duration of their stay in Canada. Reminder — Your undertaking is an unconditional promise of support
Hello, please read copied/pasted online info:
Who you can sponsor
To be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependants must not be inadmissible to Canada.

You can sponsor a:

Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if:

• they are at least 18 years old
  • your relationship is genuine (real) and wasn’t entered into just to get permanent resident status in Canada
If your spouse or common-law partner is applying in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, they must already co-habit (live) with you in Canada.

Important: A conjugal partner is, in relation to a sponsor, a foreign national residing outside Canada who has been in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year. A foreign national residing inside Canada cannot be sponsored as a conjugal partner.

Evergreen_3034

Jun 18, 2018
Thank you everyone for the kind suggestions. I will be contacting a immigration lawyer to see if anything can be done to this application.
Also will be looking into applying as an outland applicant.

Will keep the results posted.

Thank you once again
All the best to you and your spouse! All will be well!

GURI.D.CHD

Mar 5, 2014
Hi All,

I sent Family sponsorship in-Canada file with OWP on September 14th.
I received file number for sponsorship file on October 12th.
My OWP file was returned due to incomplete fees and I sent again on October 20th.

Can anybody guide me on when can we expect the OWP approval? Also, My wife got one offer letter from Univ of Toronto.
Can we flag poll and get her OWP from the border?

Pls guide. Any inputs will be well-appreciated.
With above details, Can we go to border with offer letter and try OWP through flag polling?

prschn

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Hello, please read copied/pasted online info:
Who you can sponsor
To be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependants must not be inadmissible to Canada.

You can sponsor a:

Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if:

• they are at least 18 years old
  • your relationship is genuine (real) and wasn’t entered into just to get permanent resident status in Canada
If your spouse or common-law partner is applying in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, they must already co-habit (live) with you in Canada.

Important: A conjugal partner is, in relation to a sponsor, a foreign national residing outside Canada who has been in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year. A foreign national residing inside Canada cannot be sponsored as a conjugal partner.

so does that mean that i cannot apply outland application? even if i apply outland right now, we will be living together in the next couple of months.

do i have to change it back to inland application then?

elomam

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Montreal
so does that mean that i cannot apply outland application? even if i apply outland right now, we will be living together in the next couple of months.

No you mix things. Family class = Outland and Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class = Inland
Apply under the Family Class if:

• the person you want to sponsor lives outside Canada
  • the person you want to sponsor currently lives with you in Canada but doesn’t plan to stay in Canada while the application is being processed
  • you plan to appeal if the application is refused
  • you’re sponsoring your conjugal partner or dependent child
Apply under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class if your spouse or common-law partner:

• lives with you in Canada
  • has valid immigration status in Canada
  • would like to apply for, and qualifies for, an Open Work Permit so that they can work while the application is being processed

You're eligible to apply under family class = outland and once you apply under a class you cannot simply change it.

accioio

Sep 18, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am curious about the cohabitation clause for inland applicants. Does anyone know for how long the sponsor and PA must stay living together during the process? I am hoping to be able to start school in a different city starting in January. If our application is not complete by then, my partner will be coming with me, and taking a semester off from his school in our current city, so we will stay cohabiting, or I may try to defer one semester. It is annoying, but we do not want to risk our application and definitely do not plan to lie. However, it seems like people are now landing before the 12 month mark. We applied in mid-Feb 2018, so it seems to me that we might get DM in December. At what point is the application process complete? Once there is a DM for both of us, could we live apart then? Or do we have to wait until my partner has done the landing interview and landed?

Thanks in advance!

elomam

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Montreal
Hello Everyone,

I am curious about the cohabitation clause for inland applicants. Does anyone know for how long the sponsor and PA must stay living together during the process? I am hoping to be able to start school in a different city starting in January. If our application is not complete by then, my partner will be coming with me, and taking a semester off from his school in our current city, so we will stay cohabiting, or I may try to defer one semester. It is annoying, but we do not want to risk our application and definitely do not plan to lie. However, it seems like people are now landing before the 12 month mark. We applied in mid-Feb 2018, so it seems to me that we might get DM in December. At what point is the application process complete? Once there is a DM for both of us, could we live apart then? Or do we have to wait until my partner has done the landing interview and landed?

Thanks in advance!
Technically once you get DM, you're done you're just waiting for the landing interview to get COPR. I don't know if at that moment you're both asked to confirm your addresses, so I would advise you to stay together till getting COPR. Play it safe.

Evergreen_3034

Jun 18, 2018

Hello,
It is best, as others have suggested, and as you have already concluded, to perhaps seek advise from a professional.

If you and your spouse lived together in Canada (in your same address/building/home) and then your spouse later on was accepted to a College and had to live in a different city due to the College being in a different city, and if you have been providing her with monetary/financial support (that you can prove that you are doing) while she has been in College, then it would make logic sense that perhaps CIC may reconsider their decision, since it's a unique set of circumstances. I don't know if this was your situation, but if it was, it probably can be reconsidered by them. It's up to CIC and rules. But at the end, seeking professional advise is best.

Best of luck to you.

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Given that you are moving away for studying, I believe you could keep the address you have together now as your permanent address and your new address would just be a temporary one.