+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

mrezanejad

Nov 8, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding when you submit OWP app in the middle of the process (after you receive the AOR). I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for it process? Is it the same 4 months as when you submit your application?

My timeline is the following:
Application sent: June 15
AOR:July 27
OWP app received by IRCC: Aug. 17

Last edited:

hjseto

Sep 11, 2018
They restamped my passport with the date, so I am assuming that gives me 6 months, but my work permit is due any day now, so thats not an issue. Plus my previous visitor record was only for another 6.5 months, so it made no difference.

I would imagine re-entry would reset the expiry date, as you cease being a visitor when you leave, then become a visitor anew when you re-enter.
I've recently received my work permit which is valid until 2020. What happens to it if I leave and re-enter? Is it still valid or do I need them to issue me a new one? Also do I need a visitor record if I have a valid work permit?

hjseto

Sep 11, 2018
My husband and I drove across the border for a long weekend (3 days) and upon re-entry were asked to go inside and speak to an officer. They wanted to know what I was doing with my Canadian husband and I told them I'd applied for PR and was waiting for responses. They looked into it, said they saw it in our system, told us we were doing everything right, and sent us on our way.
Hi Mel406, Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Did you have a particular document with you that might have helped with re-entry. e.g. work permit, visitor record. Also, if you don't mind me asking what stage were you at in your application when you travelled and are you from a visa exempt country?

jellyfly

Apr 6, 2017
Inland
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
03-03-2017
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
06-04-2017
Passport Req..
25-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-2017
Hi all,

We just sent out our application. So the newest timeline is..

PR & OWP Application Sent Out - Sep 20, 2018
Application Received:
AOR:
Successfully Linked application:
Successfully Linked OWP:
Received OWP:
Medical Request:

Last edited:

EJH

Star Member
Dec 12, 2017
I've recently received my work permit which is valid until 2020. What happens to it if I leave and re-enter? Is it still valid or do I need them to issue me a new one? Also do I need a visitor record if I have a valid work permit?
No you have a work permit, instead of a visitor record.

Depending on your home passport, you will either require an eTa(which would be attached to your work permit), or a separate entry visa in addition to your work permit.

Reactions: hjseto

Harman12

Sep 18, 2018
Hi everyone im new here i just have one question i want to know what is the next stage after the medical pass?
Thank you

Cherry Kola

Aug 28, 2018
Toronto
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Med's Request
15-08-2018
Med's Done....
28-08-2018
Thanks for your reply.
I know every case is different just for the curiosity how long does they take for this?
There is this excellent discussion about the background check, see below link:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/the-anatomy-of-a-background-check-in-depth-analysis.500146/

If you get the chance to have a look at it. In our case, we applied in Early February 2018, so I was wondering why was the background check process taking so long, by reading the thread mentioned above I found an answer :D

Hope it helps !

applefritter1

Star Member
Aug 23, 2018
UK citizen currently in Toronto
App. Filed.......
03-11-2018
AOR Received.
16-01-2019
I sent my application without a police certificate. I included the receipt to show I'd ordered one and included a letter of explanation that I'd ordered one and it hasn't come in time. My application was accepted and I got AOR in normal time.
thank you! & thanks to KBsandhu for your response - I am going to apply for visitor status extension anyway just in case my application is returned and im out of status but I will send off the app without the police certificate as I have a feeling it has been returned back to the UK for the 3rd time due to it not showing up again :<

melito

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2017
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-12-2016
AOR Received.
27-02-2017
Med's Request
05-04-2017
Med's Done....
08-04-2017
Passport Req..
09-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
17-05-2018

riffraff9

Oct 17, 2015
pr app- date received june 14 - date submitted july 31
owp app - date received june 7 - date submitted august 22

owp correspondence letter recived today. permit will be sent by mail.

is this means that my pr app its ok ? cause they approved owp..and i just need to wait.. or they can still turn back to me? or request something if app its not ok?

am598107

Jun 17, 2018
Hi all,

I recently applied to sponsor my fiance (who's from England) under the common law spouse application. He's currently here on a Working Holiday visa through International Experience Canada and his visa expires on April 30, 2019. I'm a little nervous he won't get processed on time - is anyone familiar with the phase that takes the most time? It seems to be taking a while to get much of a response, so I hope it isn't this long through each step.

My Timeline to Date:

Application Sent: May 16, 2018
Date Received: May 17, 2018
AOR: June 26, 2018
Request for Police Certificates/Background Schedule A: June 26, 2018
PCs/BSA Sent: August 1, 2018
PCs/BSA Received: August 6, 2018

The only reason I knew about the receipt of the PCs/BSA portion is because I asked my MP's office to check because my profile wouldn't let me upload the documents - the actual account profile doesn't say anything about it nor are the documents attached to the profile even now.

We didn't apply for him to have an OWP due to his current visa status. I'm wondering how long it will take before we get a request for the medical portion. I realize it hasn't been a super long time yet, but with a hard deadline due to his visa, I'm anxious!

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hi all,

I recently applied to sponsor my fiance (who's from England) under the common law spouse application. He's currently here on a Working Holiday visa through International Experience Canada and his visa expires on April 30, 2019. I'm a little nervous he won't get processed on time - is anyone familiar with the phase that takes the most time? It seems to be taking a while to get much of a response, so I hope it isn't this long through each step.

My Timeline to Date:

Application Sent: May 16, 2018
Date Received: May 17, 2018
AOR: June 26, 2018
Request for Police Certificates/Background Schedule A: June 26, 2018
PCs/BSA Sent: August 1, 2018
PCs/BSA Received: August 6, 2018

The only reason I knew about the receipt of the PCs/BSA portion is because I asked my MP's office to check because my profile wouldn't let me upload the documents - the actual account profile doesn't say anything about it nor are the documents attached to the profile even now.

We didn't apply for him to have an OWP due to his current visa status. I'm wondering how long it will take before we get a request for the medical portion. I realize it hasn't been a super long time yet, but with a hard deadline due to his visa, I'm anxious!
You don't need to have valid status in order to get a PR so his status expiring won't disqualify him or anything. It's just that if he's working right now as part of the Working Holiday visa, he'll have to resign or go on leave when it expires as he can't work without a work permit or a PR.

am598107

Jun 17, 2018
You don't need to have valid status in order to get a PR so his status expiring won't disqualify him or anything. It's just that if he's working right now as part of the Working Holiday visa, he'll have to resign or go on leave when it expires as he can't work without a work permit or a PR.
That's certainly good to know. The only problem, however, is that he is in fact working full-time and we'd want to maintain his employment. Fingers crossed it won't come to needing to figure that out!