+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

Sofia3332156899

Apr 15, 2018
Hey guys! Have a question for u. I applied for PR and OWP. I went to the immigration service and they said I should extend my stay as a visitor, so I applied for visitor record. Today I got a notification that my visa was denied. I was shocked cause I'm sure I attached all documents and even more. It says I should leave Canada.. I'm confused cause I don't even know if I needed to apply for a visitor visa. Will it affect my OWP and PR?

riffraff9

Oct 17, 2015
this can happen to me too.. i apply for vistor extension 12 days ago.. send PR and OWP 2 days ago.. i am visa exempt but on stamp in passport says 10 may. so if they denide visitor extension. what to do?! go and speak with immigration service on border?!

ARE WE ALOWED TO STAY IN CANADA WHILE WE ARE WAITING FOR PR APPLICATiON TO GET PROCESSED ?!?! i understand you cant get OWP if you dont have status but can we stay legaly while we wait for PR ?

sofia did you wrote that you are married to canadian? its very strange they didnt extened your visitor status...

Last edited:

riffraff9

Oct 17, 2015
will they return my application if i left blank box for 1. UCI and 2. Aplication number in Schedule A form ? i dont have any of that 2 numbers

Moek90

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
will they return my application if i left blank box for 1. UCI and 2. Aplication number in Schedule A form ? i dont have any of that 2 numbers
No they'll not return your application for leaving those questions blank. No one knows those at the time of filling in your forms, so don't worry about it!

Sofia3332156899

Apr 15, 2018
I put a marriage certificate and my receipt of pr as a proof I applied. But I have doubts officer checked that. Anyway I applied for OWP when I had a valid status and technically I have implied status again because of owp
this can happen to me too.. i apply for vistor extension 12 days ago.. send PR and OWP 2 days ago.. i am visa exempt but on stamp in passport says 10 may. so if they denide visitor extension. what to do?! go and speak with immigration service on border?!

ARE WE ALOWED TO STAY IN CANADA WHILE WE ARE WAITING FOR PR APPLICATiON TO GET PROCESSED ?!?! i understand you cant get OWP if you dont have status but can we stay legaly while we wait for PR ?

sofia did you wrote that you are married to canadian? its very strange they didnt extened your visitor status...

ali64mon

Sep 4, 2015
Hi all,

I am sponsoring my wife for her PR.
I am a little bit confused while filling up form IMM0008. Based on the information provided in the checklist document, we should apply under "Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class" since my wife is currently working/residing in Canada. In IMM0008 form however, I see no option for this category for question "program under which you are applying".

I also have a question about when the police certificates should be submitted. While the checklist document states the PC does not have to be submitted along with the application, a different answer is given in "http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1328&top=14". I have all documents ready for spousal sponsorship application except PC from my wife's home-country. Taking the PC from her home-country is a long process. So, I am not sure if I need to wait for her PC to be issued or I can apply her application excluding her PC for now.

I was wondering if you could help me figure this out.

Last edited:

Aelin

Mar 8, 2018
I am a little bit confused while filling up form IMM0008. Based on the information provided in the checklist document, we should apply under "Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class" since my wife is currently working/residing in Canada. In IMM0008 form however, I see no option for this category for question "program under which you are applying".
Choose Family for Question 1 of IMM0008, and then Spouse for Question 2 :)

Hi all,
I also have a question about when the police certificates should be submitted. While the checklist document states the PC does not have to be submitted along with the application, a different answer is given in "http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1328&top=14". I have all documents ready for spousal sponsorship application except PC from my wife's home-country. Taking the PC from her home-country is a long process. So, I am not sure if I need to wait for her PC to be issued or I can apply her application excluding her PC for now..
What country is your wife from? You should submit the police certificate along with the application unless specifically stated here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html

Make sure you're looking at the latest version of the document checklist too - it should state 03-2018 at the bottom of each page.

Reactions: Vivian-inland

avenky

Apr 29, 2018
Folks I need your help.

I submitted the PR in land application along with OWP for my wife last week. I made sure the Schedule A form was physically signed by her as per the checklist. I forgot to ask her to do that for OWP application IMM 5710. Would it be returned back.? Can I fill another form and send it CIC. I don't want it to be returned and delay the whole process. Please help me

softgothk

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
I put a marriage certificate and my receipt of pr as a proof I applied. But I have doubts officer checked that. Anyway I applied for OWP when I had a valid status and technically I have implied status again because of owp
You will have implied status if you applied for extension of visitor visa when you had valid status (before expiry), not because of the OWP. You should contact Immigration directly and ask for suggestions.

hkdvirdi

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Folks I need your help.

I submitted the PR in land application along with OWP for my wife last week. I made sure the Schedule A form was physically signed by her as per the checklist. I forgot to ask her to do that for OWP application IMM 5710. Would it be returned back.? Can I fill another form and send it CIC. I don't want it to be returned and delay the whole process. Please help me

Most probably yes it will be returned back if it wasn't signed. I will suggest to send it to Vegreville \. Fill out new application form and attach the reciept showing you already paid for it.

Michyy

Star Member
Oct 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06-02-2018
Doc's Request.
23-03-2018
AOR Received.
04-03-2018
Med's Request
02-08-2018
Med's Done....
13-08-2018
LANDED..........
15-03-2019
You will have implied status if you applied for extension of visitor visa when you had valid status (before expiry), not because of the OWP. You should contact Immigration directly and ask for suggestions.
Applying for OWP does give you implied status, even without applying for a visitor extension.

Reactions: Jenny X

riffraff9

Oct 17, 2015
but it says that if you dont have a status you cant get owp? so what will happen if they denide to extend my visitor visa in 20days.. and they send me letter that i need to leave the country.. can i stay in country while my pr and owp app is processing? i send both pr owp and visitor extension while i still have visitor status wich ends 10of may

Michyy

Star Member
Oct 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06-02-2018
Doc's Request.
23-03-2018
AOR Received.
04-03-2018
Med's Request
02-08-2018
Med's Done....
13-08-2018
LANDED..........
15-03-2019
but it says that if you dont have a status you cant get owp? so what will happen if they denide to extend my visitor visa in 20days.. and they send me letter that i need to leave the country.. can i stay in country while my pr and owp app is processing?
What they mean by that is that you cannot apply for an OWP if you are already without status.

If you have status and apply for an OWP you are on implied status (as long as your application doesn't get sent back). In other words as long as they recieve your OWP while you're in status then you're fine and no one will ask you to leave Canada. Technically you didnt even have to extend your visitor status (assuming you already sent in your OWP and got a file number for it) however some do this just in case their OWP app is sent back due to something missing. As long as one of the two apps (OWP and/or visitor extension) are in process you are on implied status until a decision is made.