+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 Scenarios, 1 Goal. Which to choose - WE ARE AT DESPERATION STATION!

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
We have two possible scenarios and are struggling with what is the best possible option. Our emigration case worker has been and is very unhelpful.

A background: James is an Electrician with a Level 2 in Electrical Technology which he gained on an Apprenticeship here in the UK. He did not complete his Level 3.

James has 4 years experience as an Electrician and almost 2 as a Fire Alarm Engineer/Technician.

We have been planning to get out to Vancouver to live and to do so, James will enrol on to a course studying to be an Electrician and complete a foundation course, then go onto a full apprentice course, all in Vancouver.

The foundation course is only 6 months, you need to be on a course and complete it successfully for 8 months to gain a work permit. This is why we are doing the apprenticeship also.

I, Emma, have changed my job 2 months ago to work as a User Support Technician (jumping into federal skill group B) which will allow us to apply for permanent residency after working as a User Support Technician for a full year (half of the year in the UK, the other half in Vancouver). I will ride off the back of James’ study visa (and would be the sole one applying for perm residency asap).

Even though James wants to study the Canadian way of electronics, it is our key to gaining entry into the country. One may say a hopeful means to an end.

I (Emma) should score good points as I am 25 years old, I have a Degree, and I work in the right skill bracket, despite it only being a year.

The downside to the James scenario is that it is very costly. We are not rich and have saved every penny we have earned to put towards this goal.

Scenario 2.

I, Emma, study a Masters course for 2 years which will allow me to gain a work permit for another 2 years (are all students eligible for these work permits if you complete a course successfully?). A Masters is cheaper and James has more experience working in the right skill bracket. The only low point is that he only has his level 2, not level 3.

(James did live in Vancouver for a year already and worked for a Scaffolding firm who were/are willing to support his application. However scaffolding is not a ‘registered’ trade in Canada, so I think this is a no go..?)

Anyway…

James will be working full time as an Alarms Engineer / Electrician, then whilst we are there, he will complete a Red Seal exam and apply for a permanent residency visa whilst I, Emma, is still studying.

I am begging that someone out there will be able to help and guide us with this as we feel so alone and confused. All we want to do is live in Vancouver and build a life together.

Which Scenario has the best chance for us being able to stay in the country and gain perm residency. :eek:

FASTBC

Aug 9, 2016
Scenario 1 sounds like the best route to me. James will have a decent chance of getting offered PR as an electrician over here once he can get a job offer