+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

183 days in a row.citizenship appl.0002

Abubakr78

Apr 17, 2019
Hi
Can someone please advise.
I have doubt in citizenship application cic0002 jan 2019 sec 10 b
183 days or more in a row refers to (outside canada and in a single country) ?
I spent continous 200 days outside canada.but travelled to 2 countries each less than 183 days
Do i have to get police certificate?

Thanks

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Hi
Can someone please advise.
I have doubt in citizenship application cic0002 jan 2019 sec 10 b
183 days or more in a row refers to (outside canada and in a single country) ?
I spent continous 200 days outside canada.but travelled to 2 countries each less than 183 days

Thanks
No you do not need to get police clearance certificate . You would need it only if you spent 183 days or more in a single (each) country

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi
YOUR RESPONSE in Item 10. b) in the current application CIT 0002 (02-2019) dictates whether or not you need to submit a police clearance WITH the application.

The primary question is simple enough, as it is stated in item 10. b), where it states:

b) In the past four (4) years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?

The phrase "in a country," in the question, is about being "in a single country for 183 days or more in a row" (the latter is quoted from Example 5 in the application help).

If your honest and accurate answer to this item is "no," NO police certificate needs to be submitted.

If your answer to this item is "yes" you list the country in the chart. And, with some exceptions, you need to include a police certificate from that country or countries.

SOME ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS:

It is best to access the application form in pdf using a computer . . . among other important reasons for this is that this facilitates access to the help (click on the "?" mark icon to open application help). The help examples make it clear that the phrase "in a country," in the question, is about being "in a single country for 183 days or more in a row" (again, latter is quoted from Example 5 in the application help).

All that said, this is explicitly about whether a police clearance needs to be submitted WITH the application. IRCC may otherwise request a clearance LATER from any applicant.
For most applicants who honestly respond "no" in Item 10.b the chance of being asked, later, to submit a police clearance is probably SMALL, perhaps VERY SMALL. Even if the applicant spent a considerable amount of time in this or that single country.

In a separate post I will further address the possibility that a police certificate may be needed LATER in the process. That discussion will be about RISK MANAGEMENT for certain applicants with what might be described as a "close case."

In particular, that discussion is relevant for only a rather SMALL NUMBER of prospective applicants (but probably a considerable number nonetheless).

For more than most, for the vast majority of applicants, no need to consider let alone be concerned. The vast majority SHOULD SIMPLY SKIP MY NEXT POST and NOT worry. For the vast majority, a truthful "no" response in Item 10.b means NO PCC needed.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My previous post was explicitly about whether a police clearance needs to be submitted WITH the application. As noted, IRCC may request a clearance LATER from any applicant.

For most applicants who honestly respond "no" in Item 10.b the chance of being asked, later, to submit a police clearance is probably SMALL, perhaps VERY SMALL. Even if the applicant spent a considerable amount of time in this or that single country.

Thus, this discussion is relevant for only a rather SMALL NUMBER of prospective applicants (which nonetheless may be a considerable number).

As I previously observed, the vast majority of applicants do NOT need to consider let alone be concerned about this. The vast majority SHOULD SIMPLY SKIP THIS POST and NOT worry. For the vast majority, a truthful "no" response in Item 10.b means NO PCC needed.

CHANCE THERE WILL BE A LATER REQUEST FOR POLICE CLEARANCE; PART I:

Again, this is a LONGER discussion about relatively uncommon scenarios . . . and this has little or NO relevance for the vast majority of applicants. Most will want to SKIP this.

This is largely a continuation of some RISK MANAGEMENT observations I have been addressing relative to this particular issue given the way in which the question is often asked.

SUMMARY of following observations: For those who apprehend a risk they might be asked to later provide a police certificate, the prudent approach is simply to go ahead and obtain the police certificate and hold on to it . . . submit it if requested or otherwise bring to the Interview just in case.

WHAT IS THE RISK: It is readily apparent there are what might be called "close cases," and some prospective applicants likely have good cause to question if they need to obtain and submit a police clearance even if, at least technically, they can respond "no" to item 10.b in the application. What follows is about circumstances in which this rather small percentage of prospective applicants might apprehend, given their "close case" situation, there is a chance they might later be asked for a police certificate. Again, this is, thus, about RISK MANAGEMENT for a certain, rather small number of prospective applicants.

This warrants making a distinction which some may think is a matter of semantics, but it is a substantive and illustrative distinction:

DISTINCTION: The question posed by the OP is "Do I have to get police certificate?" Many who ask this question are really asking: "Do I need to include a police certificate WITH my application?"

The latter question is easy to answer. That answer is dictated by how the applicant answers item 10.b in the application. If "yes," then (with some exceptions) YES, the applicant needs to obtain and submit a police certificate WITH the application. If "no," then the applicant does NOT NEED to submit a police certificate WITH the application.

BUT that does NOT necessarily mean the applicant will not need to obtain and later submit a police certificate in order to have his or her application decided.

Reminder: IRCC may request a police certificate later in the process even if a clearance was not required with the application.

Further Reminder for emphasis: The "yes" or "no" response to Item 10.b is what dictates whether or not a police clearance needs to be included WITH the application. This is about what is necessary to make an application "complete."

Thus, for example, if the applicant checks "no" in response to item 10.b and does NOT include a police clearance, this will pass the completeness check EVEN IF in actual fact the applicant was in a single country for more than 183 days in a row. Obviously the "no" check in this situation is a misrepresentation, but of course that could be a mistake not an intentional misrepresentation. This happens. It appears that when it does happen the applicant will get AOR, and the application will be duly referred to a local office for processing, but eventually (typically at or following the Interview and test) the applicant will likely need to submit a police clearance (not always but probably).

Thus, to recap, an inaccurate "no" response to item 10.b results in AOR but the applicant will likely, eventually, be later asked to submit a clearance.

OTHERWISE . . . Later requests for a police certificate appear to be infrequent.

We know that IRCC does, sometimes, make later requests for police certificates, and we know that IRCC has the authority to make any "reasonable" request from applicants, which certainly includes authority to request a police certificate clearance for any country in which IRCC perceives the applicant spent a period of time during the relevant four years or since.

I go into detail about this because there is a tendency among some to approach these matters as if the 183 days in a row criteria is definitively imposed as a fixed rule or law. It is NOT. It is an administrative policy describing what IRCC requires to be included with an application in order to make it a complete application. Indeed, until relatively recently IRCC was requiring a police clearance be submitted WITH the APPLICATION if during the relevant four years the total of all days spent in a single country added up to 183 days or more, even if no single period of time in that country was even three months.

In any event, while it is NOT common, there are some readily apprehended scenarios in which applicants who legitimately checked "no" in response to Item 10.b, and did not include a police certificate, were in this or that other country enough there is a CHANCE, a more or less significant chance, IRCC might later request a police certificate.

CHANCE THERE WILL BE A LATER REQUEST FOR POLICE CLEARANCE; PART II:

There is no way of quantifying the odds, the chance, that despite legitimately checking "no" for Item 10.b an applicant will later be required to submit a police certificate.

However, there are a couple general and fairly obvious scenarios in which it is easy to foresee a significantly elevated risk of being asked for a police certificate:

-- IRCC identifies or perceives there may be some reason to question if the applicant has criminal charges or convictions in a particular country

-- IRCC apprehends or perceives the applicant to have been living or staying in a country for more than six consecutive months even if the applicant did not always stay in that country continuously during that time​

The first of these is self-explanatory. What might trigger this, however, is not so easily described. Perhaps the most likely country of concern, in this regard, is the U.S., for applicants who have spent a considerable amount of time in the U.S. but not necessarily six continuous months . . . for example, a GCMS background screening (done repeatedly in processing application) is likely to flag any U.S FBI/NCIC criminal arrests, charges, or convictions. A hit of this sort one could readily describe as among "the usual suspects" for triggering a later request for the U.S. FBI clearance.

Regarding the second, it is worth noting, for example, the scenario described in Example 1 in the application help. It refers to the situation in which the applicant "lived" in a particular country (in the example this is "France") for a year . . . and is not predicated on exclusively staying present in that country continuously for the whole year. A person living in France might easily visit neighbouring European countries periodically throughout the year, such that he or she did not continuously remain in France for 183 days or more.

Where an applicant was staying in a particular country spanning more than six months, but not continuously present in that country for six months or more, the applicant can truthfully respond "no" for Item 10.b. That noted, how the applicant decides to actually respond to item 10.b, in this situation, is very much a personal decision. If the applicant can conveniently obtain a police certificate and submit it with the application, it may be prudent to check "yes," based on a general sense of being "in" the country, and this would be particularly appropriate if indeed the applicant had maintained a continuous place of abode in that country (whether or not it was a primary residence or a secondary, temporary residence). And submit the police clearance. OR ALTERNATIVELY, still check "no" but in the meantime obtain a police clearance to have if and when a request is made for it . . . both being mostly about RISK MANAGEMENT and taking precautionary steps to avoid or minimize the risk of non-routine processing and delays.

Again, this is relevant for only a rather small number (but probably a considerable number nonetheless) of prospective applicants. For more than most, for the vast majority of applicants, no need to consider let alone be concerned.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
if I had spent significant time, anywhere close to 183 days in a row, in say the US I would get a police cert now.
Why? Because it takes about 4-5 months to get one from the FBI and costs a negligible amount (compared to the $630 application cost).

Now, I haven't been in the US anywhere near that long in one period (or in total) so I've not bothered. The country I've spent the most time is is the UK, again no-where near 183 days in a row but I'm not getting a police cert. The reason for that? One it's much more expensive and two... it takes 5-7 days.

Also, sometimes CIC only gives you 30 days to respond right? I know a friends PR was a right pain because after 5 months they requested a US police clearance for her partner despite having been in the US far under 183 days. That was therefore not a 6 month application.

So for me, I don't mind a 5-7 day delay in my CIC application. I would mind a 4-5 month delay. Just my two cents of course, and it doesn't stop you applying now either way :)

Reactions: dpenabill

Cloud83

Aug 22, 2014
Ugg.. my wife was in China for 126 days.. went back to Canada to visit my parents at Christmas for a few weeks and then spent another 172 days in China... I thought we could avoid a police check but this is making it sound like it is a real possibility..........

Depending on how difficult they want to make things it could be impossible to get without her going there (which would both cost money and delay her being able to apply).. Definitely want to apply before a potential conservative government comes in and reverts to the old rules...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Ugg.. my wife was in China for 126 days.. went back to Canada to visit my parents at Christmas for a few weeks and then spent another 172 days in China... I thought we could avoid a police check but this is making it sound like it is a real possibility..........

Depending on how difficult they want to make things it could be impossible to get without her going there (which would both cost money and delay her being able to apply).. Definitely want to apply before a potential conservative government comes in and reverts to the old rules...
The instructions tend to allow checking "no" in this situation . . . relying on less than 183 days in a row for any given period of time there. So no police certificate would need to be submitted with the application.

The rest is about the "RISK," and to be aware of that risk, a request for a certificate might come later. To be prepared JUST-IN-CASE. Does NOT mean it will happen.

It is indeed increasingly likely there will be a Conservative government by fall . . . in addition to winning ZERO seats in Alberta, this week the Liberals also took a shellacking in PEI . . . going from forming the government to NOT even being close to being the official opposition party. BUT it is NOT likely the fundamental rules governing grant citizenship will change. That is, the 3/5 rule and pre-PR credit rules are likely to remain the same for a long while . . . and even if there was legislation to change these (which is not likely but possible), the actual would not happen before the end of 2020 (and likely not until the next year) and NOT apply to anyone making an application before then. But sure, for administrative policies (like who is required to submit police certificates), and general approaches to assessing applications, there could be some significant changes there with little notice before the changes happen. Changes not for the benefit of those applying.

Cloud83

Aug 22, 2014
I am more worried about the old provision of intention to live within Canada after getting Citizenship... I am unsure if that kind of thing can be changed without legislation.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am more worried about the old provision of intention to live within Canada after getting Citizenship... I am unsure if that kind of thing can be changed without legislation.
The formal requirements for a grant of citizenship cannot be changed without adopting and implementing formal statutory amendments. I include "implementing" because the logistics of putting some changes into effect require a substantial amount of time between the date the legislation receives Royal Assent and the date it can actually take effect. In both the more recent major amendments of grant citizenship requirements (the 2014 Conservative legislation in Bill C-24, and the 2017 Liberal legislation in Bill C-6), the implementation of presence requirement changes, for example, were not implemented for many months . . . the Bill C-24 changes, for example, were not implemented for nearly a full year after Royal Assent.

Thus, for example, the next government cannot implement an intent-to-reside-in-Canada requirement without tabling formal legislation, going through the legislative process, getting the Bill passed in Parliament and the Senate, and then implementing the changes.

It should also be noted that there was a great deal of misunderstanding about the so-called intent-to-reside-in-Canada requirement. With the exception of an otherwise extremely REMOTE possibility (applicant obtains employment abroad and purchases home residence abroad BEFORE taking the oath, and has otherwise expressly stated, again BEFORE taking the oath, an intent to NOT reside in Canada after becoming a citizen), that provision totally ceased to have any effect once a person took the oath. IT WAS, ESSENTIALLY, A WAY FOR CIC (this was prior to change to IRCC) TO JUSTIFY DENYING CITIZENSHIP TO APPLICANTS WHO MOVED ABROAD BEFORE TAKING THE OATH. It was specifically aimed at applicants-applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport, as more than a few in the Harper government described those they believed were seeking-a-passport-of-convenience.

That is, the so-called intent-to-reside-in-Canada requirement really had NO effect except for those applicants who would move abroad while the application was pending.

THAT SAID . . . yes, a Conservative government could implement changes in policy and practice which might have a significant impact on this group of applicants, that is applicants perceived to be applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport, just in terms of elevating the scope of scrutiny, leading to lengthy delays, issuing RQ and requiring stronger proof. Which is essentially the way it was before Bill C-24 included the so-called intent-to-reside-in-Canada requirement . . . which policy, many seem to overlook, was to some extent originally implemented under a Liberal government in a 2005 Operational Bulletin, which subsequently was included as an appendix in the operational manual CP-5 Residence (which was in effect until at least 2012 when OB-407 implemented even more strict practices), specifically made circumstances indicating living abroad, while the application was in process, a reason-to-question-residency.

It is also worth noting that prior to the Bill C-24 changes, in 2014, it had been at least three or four decades since there was any major amendment of the grant citizenship requirements. There had been many attempts. For DECADES it was well recognized there were serious flaws in the residency requirement in particular, and for many, many years justices in the Federal Court repeatedly urged Parliament to fix some of the more egregious flaws, flaws resulting in rather serious miscarriages of justice and oft times radically disparate results.

That is, generally there is a major reluctance to make big changes to grant citizenship requirements. Many of the changes made by the Harper government were seriously needed for a long time. The problem was in how extreme some of those changes were, and in how some were perceived (like the so-called intent-to-reside-in-Canada requirement), which demanded FIXING when the Liberal government had the opportunity. Predicting future changes in the law is always speculative and rarely reliable, but overall the odds are against further major changes to the grant citizenship requirements for at least some time to come. That said, sure, Canada too is wavering under a tide of xenophobia sweeping much of the so-called West. So who knows? Not me.

Reactions: k300k3

euphoria2010

Apr 20, 2019
Thank you all for sharing this information.

I would like to ask about the same question 10.B and if anyone can help me. What they mean in the past four years (does it mean the four years back from my date of application ). If I apply today April 26, 2019, do I have to count four years back April 26, 2015?

I actually received my police certificate and wondering if I can attach it to the application anyway as I am confused.

Cloud83

Aug 22, 2014
My situation is that I am living in China teaching at an international school and my wife is living in Canada building up her days.. The most likely scenario is that she comes and joins me here after she gets her citizenship and we do that for at least a few years.. With me living abroad and her being unemployed there is very little proof that she has an intent to stay in Canada(but also no proof that she has an intent to leave).

Are you recommending that she stays in Canada during the application process to avoid giving them any extra reason-to-question-residency?. If so is there a point in the process(like after the interview) after which it doesn't matter?

I had just assumed if you followed the letter of the law and filled application correctly and then when they looked into things such a filling taxes, residency duration, etc that you would be automatically accepted. Is there some place one can look to investigate all the hidden unlisted factors that they look into?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My situation is that I am living in China teaching at an international school and my wife is living in Canada building up her days.. The most likely scenario is that she comes and joins me here after she gets her citizenship and we do that for at least a few years.. With me living abroad and her being unemployed there is very little proof that she has an intent to stay in Canada(but also no proof that she has an intent to leave).

Are you recommending that she stays in Canada during the application process to avoid giving them any extra reason-to-question-residency?. If so is there a point in the process(like after the interview) after which it doesn't matter?

I had just assumed if you followed the letter of the law and filled application correctly and then when they looked into things such a filling taxes, residency duration, etc that you would be automatically accepted. Is there some place one can look to investigate all the hidden unlisted factors that they look into?
To be clear, I am NO expert and I am NOT qualified to offer personal advice. I do not make recommendations beyond what are essentially banal platitudes, like "if in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions," or basic restatement of the rules or instructions, like "if you were in a particular country for more than 183 days in a row, during the four years prior to applying, then you check "yes" in response to item 10.b in the current application, which is CIT 0002 (02-2019), and then include a police clearance from that country unless one of the exceptions apply."

I am familiar with and have oft discussed the history surrounding RQ and residency or presence cases, including circumstances which we know elevate the risk of RQ, and circumstances which seem likely to elevate the risk of RQ, and other circumstances about which there is less confidence.

And yep, I am evading the question. There is NO definitive answer delineating which applicants sail smoothly through the process (these days the vast majority) versus those whose information is challenged and who must submit additional proof.

The actual criteria IRCC (and previously CIC) employs to identify who gets RQ'd is confidential . . . NOT public information. Those of us who have followed these matters for a long while, however, are familiar with older guidelines which were public . . . including, especially, the OB incorporated into the operational manual CP-5 Residence which articulated specific criteria as "reasons to question residency" and then a leaked 2012 version of the File Requirements Checklist which listed "triage criteria" which was used to identify applicants to be issued RQ. There have undoubtedly been many changes since, along the way, especially since the law changed from a RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT to a PRESENCE REQUIREMENT (beginning with June 2015 applications), but most of the factors are related to core principles which not all that obscure. Any information tending to raise questions or concerns about the veracity of the applicant's absence and presence accounting will, well, yeah, raise questions, questions to be probed and resolved. Including residential ties. Employment ties.

Spouses tend to live together. For example. So if an applicant has a spouse living outside Canada, no rocket science necessary to wonder about just how much the applicant was living abroad with the spouse, and if it is not readily clear, to request proof the applicant was IN Canada when the applicant claimed to be in Canada.

For the vast majority of qualified applicants there is an inference that the applicant was present IN Canada from a date of entry into Canada until the next reported or known date of exit. And, indeed, the online presence calculator works precisely on this basis, this inference built into the calculation. The applicant enters dates of travel, all dates of exit and dates of entry, and the online calculator automatically counts all the days in-between dates of entry and the NEXT reported date of exit.

Then IRCC scrutinizes the application and applicant to see if there is some reason to question this inference, to question whether it is possible the applicant was NOT in Canada all those days in between reported dates of entry and next reported date of exit. Again, for the vast majority of applicants, NO PROBLEM, the inference applies.

What currently tips the scales toward IRCC issuing RQ or otherwise engaging in further processing to more fully examine the evidence, again that is NOT public information. We can extrapolate some from the older sources of information. We can see some history in older citizenship cases decided by the Federal Court (changes eliminating an applicant's right of appeal has dramatically reduced the number of these cases over the last several years).

And we know the pervasive bias the previous Conservative government had toward those it perceived to be applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport or otherwise seeking-a-passport-of-convenience.

There are many older threads here in which residency and presence cases, and especially RQ, have been discussed in depth, including various discussions about particular factors, like living abroad while the application is pending. I am not sure what Internet sources are still available for perusing older sources like the Operational Manual CP-5 Residence, or OB-407. Actual cases as recounted in official Federal Court decisions can be researched here:

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/
https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/en/0/ann.do?page=1

But that entails some skill in researching legal decisions and doing some real work.

Additionally, while not directly applicable, in terms of what factors can influence findings of fact in calculating time present or absent from Canada, there are many, many IAD decisions regarding the PR Residency Obligation which address this. Those can be researched here: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/

In any event, yes, if a PR follows the law and properly submits an application documenting qualification for citizenship, for the vast majority of applicants there is a smooth path to citizenship. Some may be challenged to actually prove they qualify. The burden of proof is on the applicant. If the applicant meets the burden of proof and establishes at least 1095 days actual presence in the five year eligibility period, YES, that meets the presence requirement . . . no matter what the PR's intent is in regards to after becoming a citizen, no matter where the PR is living while the application is pending.

The wrinkle can come in actually proving presence IN Canada for all those in-between dates if IRCC is NOT satisfied that the presence calculation tells the whole story. During the last several years it has appeared the current administration is not much concerned if it appears the applicant has left Canada while the application was pending. A different government, which seems likely to happen, might approach this differently.

What impact that has on your situation I cannot offer an opinion. It is far from clear, yet, how the Federal election will go, let alone how that might affect policies and practices toward those with pending citizenship applications.

Cloud83

Aug 22, 2014
Ug.. well sounds like we are better off playing it safe instead of trying to save a few months of rent and giving them more reasons to make decisions that could put a huge delay on the whole thing. It also sounds like it may be worth it for me to have her try and get her parents get her Chinese police check and just submit it with her application despite it not being technically required.

saima ahad

Jan 17, 2018
No you do not need to get police clearance certificate . You would need it only if you spent 183 days or more in a single (each) country
Hi,
I want to know 183 days should be in a row?? I spend 200 days within 4 years. I spend only 154 days in a row. I went only one country but different years and months. Still i need to get PCC from my Country ?

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Hi,
I want to know 183 days should be in a row?? I spend 200 days within 4 years. I spend only 154 days in a row. I went only one country but different years and months. Still i need to get PCC from my Country ?
Yes you do need PCC in that case. Check cic website by your country name. Some country doesn’t give PCC to non residents of that country

Reactions: saima ahad