+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

17 years old, how can I immigrate to Canada?

denniskuz

Sep 28, 2015
Hey guys,

A bit of background:

I am currently a 17 year old student living in the UK with a British citizenship. I have completed primary and secondary education, and currently in 6th form/college (which are years 12 and 13 [where one would be 16-18 years of age]). I am a year 13 student. I currently have a part time (8hrs p/w) job as a sales assistant.

My goal is to get some sort of lead on moving to Canada, before possibly ending up in university next year September (2016). I will scrap university to get into Canada. What I mean by lead is possibly get some information on having myself somehow being likely getting into Canada and get a permanent residence, whether by getting a 1 year working visa first and working there for a year, which would support an express entry application? Or just simply being accepted in the first place? What other methods could possibly suit me? I don't have any relatives in Canada, just some friends.

I'm not quite sure where to start. I have put in around 15 hours of research into this and I'm still lost.

I would appreciate any possible help that I could get? Maybe some of your own information and/or somewhere that could counsel me through this?

I will truly do whatever it takes to get into Canada as fast as possible.

Thank you very much.

Note** in regards to age, what age would I have to be before I could immigrate? (18 presumably?)

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
denniskuz said:
Hey guys,

A bit of background:

I am currently a 17 year old student living in the UK with a British citizenship. I have completed primary and secondary education, and currently in 6th form/college (which are years 12 and 13 [where one would be 16-18 years of age]). I am a year 13 student. I currently have a part time (8hrs p/w) job as a sales assistant.

My goal is to get some sort of lead on moving to Canada, before possibly ending up in university next year September (2016). I will scrap university to get into Canada. What I mean by lead is possibly get some information on having myself somehow being likely getting into Canada and get a permanent residence, whether by getting a 1 year working visa first and working there for a year, which would support an express entry application? Or just simply being accepted in the first place? What other methods could possibly suit me? I don't have any relatives in Canada, just some friends.

I'm not quite sure where to start. I have put in around 15 hours of research into this and I'm still lost.

I would appreciate any possible help that I could get? Maybe some of your own information and/or somewhere that could counsel me through this?

I will truly do whatever it takes to get into Canada as fast as possible.

Thank you very much.

Note** in regards to age, what age would I have to be before I could immigrate? (18 presumably?)
You posted in Express Entry, which is a forum for economic migration to Canada. Express Entry requires at least one year of QUALIFYING work either in Canada or outside it. Yes, 18 is a minimum, and your job must be professional, skilled labor or trade, or managerial to qualify for Express Entry.

If your family can afford it, your best bet would be to apply to a Canadian university. With a 4-year bachelor's degree, you would qualify for a 3-year work permit, which would allow you to apply to immigrate for good. There is another program for young people to come to Canada to work for a year, but if you wanted to use that experience as a basis for immigration, you would have to be careful that the work you did qualified in one of the above areas. You would also have to go home at the end of the year and apply from there.

Because Express Entry is so work-based, experience in the workforce gets you more points, as does higher education. Whether you got it in Canada or the UK, a university degree would help you, as would skilled or professional work. Concentrate on that, and eventually you may well be able to make the move to Canada.

denniskuz

Sep 28, 2015
Appreciate the information.

I wouldn't be able to afford university in Canada, I worked out it'd be around 160k - 180k CAD for the 4 year bachelors.

Would you be able to elaborate more on the working over in Canada for a year? Could you suggest some jobs or link me to something which would essentially list the jobs that would qualift? Would working on the oil fields at more an entry level be enough? (as of my age what options would I have?)

Do you think it would be better off if I were to get a bachelors degree here (UK) or instead spend those years trying to get into Canada by doing some sort of skilled work?

Do you think there would be any other way for me to immigrate over their through any other programmes?

Anya654

May 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
denniskuz said:
Appreciate the information.

I wouldn't be able to afford university in Canada, I worked out it'd be around 160k - 180k CAD for the 4 year bachelors.

Would you be able to elaborate more on the working over in Canada for a year? Could you suggest some jobs or link me to something which would essentially list the jobs that would qualift? Would working on the oil fields at more an entry level be enough? (as of my age what options would I have?)

Do you think it would be better off if I were to get a bachelors degree here (UK) or instead spend those years trying to get into Canada by doing some sort of skilled work?

Do you think there would be any other way for me to immigrate over their through any other programmes?
My advice, do your Bachelor's in the UK (you can get a student loan since you're a British citizen) then try to get a skilled job in the UK for at least a year then it would be easier for you to emigrate to Canada.

denniskuz

Sep 28, 2015
Thanks Anya :)

In regards to this, I plan on doing a sport degree which will allow me to become a qualified personal trainer, fitness manager, PE teacher etc. Will these 'do' so to speak?

Anyone else possibly have any information they could throw my way? Anything will be beneficial.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Look into the working holiday visa program which allows you to work and live in Canada for a couple of years without obtaining a job offer in Canada first. Note that only a small number of visas are issued per year and they are snapped up extremely quickly (i.e. less than 15 minutes after they begin accepting applications). This may give you a way of eventually immigrating to Canada provided you can obtain at least one year of full time work experience while you are here.

You must be 18 to apply and have at least $2,500 in funds available to support your initial arrival. There are additional requirements as well.

Again, this is very very far from a sure thing since so few spots are available and the competition for these spots is high.

I agree that you should complete your degree before making any plans to come to Canada. Without a degree or diploma, you may find it quite difficult to find a job here that will qualify you for PR.