+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

17+ Months Applicants

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
14+ months, no action.

So, I spoke with my lawyer today. He said we will be starting to sending the demand letters to immigrations in next 2 months. Next step will be filing for mandamus in FC as soon as we hit 2 year mar (Feb 05, 2020).

I don't know if even FC can do anything when security clearance by CSIS is still in progress. There are a lot of case laws on CANLII, where judges have both accepted and rejected the delay claim by applicant, however it is worth trying. If I am not successful in FC then I think that's it for me.
From what I've been reading online, writ of mandamus won't do anything unless you the applicant have strong grounds that will push them to act. Two years is not considered by ircv to be an issue. I've seen cases of people waiting for more than 5 years now, scary stuff.

Fallen_Warrior

May 16, 2013
From what I've been reading online, writ of mandamus won't do anything unless you the applicant have strong grounds that will push them to act. Two years is not considered by ircv to be an issue. I've seen cases of people waiting for more than 5 years now, scary stuff.
It doesn't hurt trying. Let's hope for the best.

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
I would like to share (out of desperation) my experience so far with IRCC. This is exactly my point of view and may not reflect that of many others who are waiting for test invites or or stuck in different phases of the application.

I came to Canada about 17 years ago and went through the path of being a student a PR and a worker. I then had to live between Canada and home country for sometime before returning to do additional studies. I then tried to land a dream job which did not work out. Knowing that I would be sending my citizenship application, I counted every day and waited to have a certain buffer days without knowing that no matter what I do, I would end up with 2 RQs in the not so friendly IRCC system which looks at anyone of certain countries with a magnifying glass of doubt. I say this as I have seen many applicants who have shared stories with me.
My complaint is: when I was paying a fortune as an international student, Canada would renew visas easily. When it came that worked in position to gain the Canadian work experience, they issued the PR status (not so easy) but it was achievable. Now when it has come to the last part of this journey why is Canada treating me as if I am criminal? Doesnt about 17 years of history of being honest with IRCC prove a point about a person rather than his or her country of origin? I have read loads and loads of material about RQs and horror stories of how officers have the discretion to treat applicants like this. It seems it is one point in the immigration journey that Canada wants to use its full powers and actually promote it even to its officers to do so. I would like to respectfully say that it is not how it should be and I find this the worst treatment I have received from IRCC in all these years. The worst is that they seem to put such applications in a pile which are treated as forgotten. I wish Canada could do better.

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
I would like to share (out of desperation) my experience so far with IRCC. This is exactly my point of view and may not reflect that of many others who are waiting for test invites or or stuck in different phases of the application.

I came to Canada about 17 years ago and went through the path of being a student a PR and a worker. I then had to live between Canada and home country for sometime before returning to do additional studies. I then tried to land a dream job which did not work out. Knowing that I would be sending my citizenship application, I counted every day and waited to have a certain buffer days without knowing that no matter what I do, I would end up with 2 RQs in the not so friendly IRCC system which looks at anyone of certain countries with a magnifying glass of doubt. I say this as I have seen many applicants who have shared stories with me.
My complaint is: when I was paying a fortune as an international student, Canada would renew visas easily. When it came that worked in position to gain the Canadian work experience, they issued the PR status (not so easy) but it was achievable. Now when it has come to the last part of this journey why is Canada treating me as if I am criminal? Doesnt about 17 years of history of being honest with IRCC prove a point about a person rather than his or her country of origin? I have read loads and loads of material about RQs and horror stories of how officers have the discretion to treat applicants like this. It seems it is one point in the immigration journey that Canada wants to use its full powers and actually promote it even to its officers to do so. I would like to respectfully say that it is not how it should be and I find this the worst treatment I have received from IRCC in all these years. The worst is that they seem to put such applications in a pile which are treated as forgotten. I wish Canada could do better.
I feel your frustration as I have went through similar experience to yours. No issues at all when I was an international student, and now after I've spent 10 whole years as an ideal resident in here, where I bought a property, paid taxes every year (a lot of it), no criminal record, not even a single speeding ticket, they treat your case like trash. Now someone out here will come and comment and ask me not to criticize IRCC as they're doing their job, they have long queue, etc. No, just because other candidates got lucky and treated well does not at all justify the unfair treatment of others. You know, I don't care anymore if they stretch the processing of my application, all I need is some real transparency, I need them to tell me where is my application now, and why exactly is it being delayed. Is that hard to do? If they can't do that, then it means the system is flawed. When I ordered my ATIP notes, it clearly shows that my test was scheduled for last year, and then the agent simply decides to postpone the date one year with no mention of reason. And now that new due date has already passed, I am pretty sure if I order ATIP again it will show a due date for next year in 2020.

It feels bad to complain and nag like this, but they left us no other choice.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I feel your frustration as I have went through similar experience to yours. No issues at all when I was an international student, and now after I've spent 10 whole years as an ideal resident in here, where I bought a property, paid taxes every year (a lot of it), no criminal record, not even a single speeding ticket, they treat your case like trash. Now someone out here will come and comment and ask me not to criticize IRCC as they're doing their job, they have long queue, etc. No, just because other candidates got lucky and treated well does not at all justify the unfair treatment of others. You know, I don't care anymore if they stretch the processing of my application, all I need is some real transparency, I need them to tell me where is my application now, and why exactly is it being delayed. Is that hard to do? If they can't do that, then it means the system is flawed. When I ordered my ATIP notes, it clearly shows that my test was scheduled for last year, and then the agent simply decides to postpone the date one year with no mention of reason. And now that new due date has already passed, I am pretty sure if I order ATIP again it will show a due date for next year in 2020.

It feels bad to complain and nag like this, but they left us no other choice.
My due date didn’t change - it was still oct of last year on the most recent GCMS - it no longer means anything once it goes beyond that point.

Reactions: rasmy

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My due date didn’t change - it was still oct of last year on the most recent GCMS - it no longer means anything once it goes beyond that point.
Same with me. The due date passed and nothing changed in the GCMS notes as well.

Fallen_Warrior

May 16, 2013
I have kind of started doubting myself as everyone is asking why yours is delayed this much...
Hahaha same here. I even feel ashamed that people now pity me by saying that everything will be fine, just hang in there etc ....

idk what to say ... let's hang in there I guess lol

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Something funny: before I gave up to follow up with my local MP, once (during the conversations with the MP office) one local rep. asked me: what is the rush?

This was 13 months down the road :) To that local MP’s office rep.: there is no rush. Yet, YOUR JOB SUPPOSEDLY WAS TO FOLLOW CASES LIKE MINE AND GET RESULTS. IT IS NOT TO QUESTION ME MORE! IRCC is making sure of asking every possible question.

Another point of observation: I am probably wrong on this (as I’m frustrated) but there was avery close timeline between receving my second RQ after contacting the MP office. I sometimes wonder if they told IRCC: get this guy a real RQ

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallen_Warrior

Fallen_Warrior

May 16, 2013
Something funny: before I gave up to follow up with my local MP, once (during the conversations with the MP office) one local rep. asked me: what is the rush?

This was 13 months down the road :) To that local MP’s office rep.: there is no rush. Yet, YOUR JOB SUPPOSEDLY WAS TO FOLLOW CASES LIKE MINE AND GET RESULTS. IT IS NOT TO QUESTION ME MORE! IRCC is making sure of asking every possible question.

Another point of observation: I am probably wrong on this (as I’m frustrated) but there was avery close timeline between receving my second RQ after contacting the MP office. I sometimes wonder if they told IRCC: get this guy a real RQ
Most probably. When IRCC feels that you are giving them hard time by going to lawyers, MP, FC, etc. they issue RQ just as a delay tactic.

Why did you get two RQ? Were both full blown RQs? I think even one RQ must he enough.

Reactions: k300k3

HFAMH

Star Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hi Guys. Do you know what/where is "Office: Case Review, Citizenship & Immigration" shown in ATIP notes ?
It's 18 months I am waiting

Last edited:

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Most probably. When IRCC feels that you are giving them hard time by going to lawyers, MP, FC, etc. they issue RQ just as a delay tactic.

Why did you get two RQ? Were both full blown RQs? I think even one RQ must he enough.
The first one was RQ lite. In my belief it could have been satisfying. I am clueless why I got the second one but it was very close to my call to the MP office.

SANAGhada

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Hello everyone
Today after long waiting and after 6 months waiting from test date
I received letter from Cic to appear for another interview with officer in depth concerning residency
Plz advice
Thank you

Last edited:

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
Hello everyone
Today after long waiting and after 6 months waiting from test date
I received letter from Cic to appear for another interview with officer in depth concerning residency
Plz advice
Thank you
As annoying as it is keeping you waiting all this time, you can consider this as a sign that someone finally is looking at your application. Seems like they have concerns regarding the time you spent here. Don't worry, if you have all the proofs then you should be good.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html

Reactions: k300k3