Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
Having just wrapped up my PR process, with many things to this forum, I compiled a list of tips based on reading hundreds of common questions and seeing trends in questions over the last year.

• 1. Do your homework BEFORE applying

Applying for permanent residence is a major undertaking - it is a time consuming process and will likely occupy your life from the day to you submit your application to the end of the process. To reduce your anxiety and eliminate as many "what ifs" from popping up after you submit your application, do your research before you submit your application. I stand by my signature that the CIC guide is your #1 source of information. Anyone applying should read the Application Guide on the CIC website from top to bottom at least twice before filling out the forms. Review the documentation checklist multiple times to fully understanding of what is required before you apply.

In addition, also consider reading the Operations Manual for the CEC class, which is a great resource for understanding how officers access an application.

• 2. Understand the Financial Costs

Not discussed here very often is the actual financial cost of completing your application. Here's a breakdown of the actual costs of my application-

Initial Application Expenses:

IELTS Exam: $285
    Fingerprints (to send to embassy to obtain home country's police certificate): $85
    Pictures (6 for application, 2 for IELTS): $40
    Principal Application fee: $550
    XPresspost: $30

Medical Expenses:

Total Medical Cost: $230
    Pictures (3 were required): $20

Visa Issuance:

Pictures (2 were required): $12
    XPresspost: $30
    Right of Permanent Residence Fee: $490
    Return XPresspost Envelope: $30

Total cost: $1,802 (for 1 person)

This does not include the costs if you needed to maintain your status while your application is processing (i.e. TRV renewal, bridging open work permit, etc.). I would suggest budgeting $2,000 per person for the total cost of getting the PR. If you apply using a representative, expect to add another $2,000-$5,000 to the cost.

• 3. Always use recent forms

Many people work on applications over a few months (filling forms well in advance). However the forms are constantly changed by the CIC (usually subtle updates), and no announcement is made when forms are updated. As such, it is important to always download and use the forms from the CIC website. You should never use forms downloaded from another website. You can usually check the version of the form which is printed at the bottom of the sheet to ensure you're submitting the most current version (compare the forms you complete to the ones on the CIC website).

• 4. Use professional skepticism when taking advice

This forum is an absolutely fantastic resource for anyone applying for the PR. However, there are a certain caveats that must be taken into account.

a) The CEC class is new and ever evolving - what this means is that the rules and processing procedures are changing dramatically on a frequent basis. As a result, while people reply here with the best intentions, very often the advice provided is out of date. I have been guilty of this several times. As such, substantiate any advice taken on this forum with information in the Application Guide and Operations Manual - at the very least, corroborate advice from multiple sources.
    b) The above also replies to using information in older threads. Again, rules are ever changing so older posts may no longer be accurate/relevant.
    c) Use common sense - if it seems wrong, there's a good chance that it is.
    d) Using a representative doesn't absolve you from the responsibility of understanding what you're being told. Every week there's a post referring to bad advice received from a representative that either led to a refusal, or worse, misrepresentation. Even if you use a representative, it is your application. As such, research what you're being told and be skeptical - if it sounds too good to be true, it often is.

• 5. Choose your NOC Code Carefully

The single most important element of this class is your NOC code, and how it matches to your reference letter. This is a PASS/FAIL class, and Visa Officers have to make a judgemental call to the best of their ability based on the information you provide. As such, the more research and the stronger your support, the easier it is for the Visa Officer - try to put yourself in their shoes to understand where there may be ambiguity. Here's some general advice:

a) Write your duties independently of the NOC database - don't copy and paste from the NOC database as this will raise flags for the Visa Officer. Be true to what you do.
    b) Obtain an opinion from the HRSDC for your NOC code based on the wording of your reference letter (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ContactUs.aspx) - include their response with your application. This will help the Visa Officer in his assessment.
    c) Be aware of NOC code overlaps, especially if your NOC code is similar to an UNSKILLED code - compare the duties between these codes carefully and ensure you aren't stretching your duties (this is very typical for administrative type jobs).
    d) Make sure your language results are sufficient for your NOC code skill level.

• 6. Get someone to re-read your forms before submission

Before sending your forms, get someone to read your forms independently (family member, etc.). It is very easy to make an obvious mistake (like not signing your forms) when you've been starring at them for weeks end. You'd be amazed at how the most obvious mistakes can go undetected.

• 7. Don't apply too early

As mention in point #5, this is a PASS/FAIL class. As such, you're either eligible or you're not. You aren't eligible if you're almost but not quite there. It is highly recommended to apply with a couple extra days after meeting the requirements to ensure that you aren't penalized for any mistakes in calculation, or any ambiguity in dates. Make sure all supporting documentation is dated appropriate, especially that your reference letter is dated AFTER you meet the required work experience period (i.e. if you're eligible on June 1, don't get your letter done before then).

Another common area is the time period for graduates. This is a grey area, but the consensus here thus far is to apply with 1 year experience based on the date of your diploma (where it says your degree is conferred) or your post-graduate work permit issue date, whichever is later (i.e. always be conservative).

• 8. Prepare for the unexpected

Always prepare a plan B and plan C:

Prepare in case your application is returned and you will need to reapply.
    Prepare in case your application takes longer than "normal" to process - i.e. prepare to apply for a bridging open work permit, renewal of your TRV, etc.
    Prepare in case your application is rejected, and you need another path to permanent residence.

One can always hope that you never need to utilise another other than Plan A, but having other plans prepared or set in motion will help ease anxiety and give you ready alternatives in case things don't go your way.

• 9. Don't send too many inquiries

The CIC offices are understaffed and deal with a lot of applications. The CIC openly states that multiple queries can delay your application, and I think this is reasonable to assume given that you're interacting with humans, not robots. Don't pester them with repeated emails, as you wouldn't want an officer to be vindictive and "go-slow" your application (no evidence that they actually do this, but use common sense). You should use the GCMS notes if you need a general non-specific case query, rather than an email - 99.99% of the time you will get a generic response. Only contact them as requested.

• 10. Understand that processing times are individualistic

Waiting is stressful - everyone here knows it. To reduce stress and anxiety, try to get a full/big picture understanding of processing times. Key things to keep in mind:

a) Applications differ between individuals. The complexity in assessment between applications means different processing paths internally within the CIC. They have staff at different levels of seniority that assess application, and can internally defer applications to more senior staff when necessary. The times posted on the websites are averages, but actual processing times are heavily skewed. There is a wide range of processing times, so don't expect to be an average.
    b) Criminality is usually the single most variable processing step - this is entirely based on things you cannot control (barring including your police certificates with your initial application). Depending on your background, travel history, name (common names reduce reliances on name databases), this can take months or even years to be completed. This is also a responsibility of CSIS (not CIC), so understand that they cannot control your criminality check.
    c) Processing steps are changing very rapidly. Up to last year, all applications used to be processed in Buffalo, which is now closed. Then all application move to Ottawa for processing. It now appears as though applications are being processed at Sydney AND Ottawa. That's a lot of change in 1 year, and expect more changes in the next year. As such, your timeline will very likely be different from another person, even if you applied within the same month. For example, this happened with many of the June/July 2012 applications, where some received their AOR in 1 month and others received AORs in 6 months because the CIO started issuing AORs during that period as a result of a processing change. These changes are frequent.

To get an appreciation of where you are, relative to other people (which is the best you can do), use the following resources:

a) Look at the application threads - on this forum, for each month, there is a thread where all persons who applied within the month track their applications. Look at the threads to gain a sense of where people ahead of you are at. Some maintain Google Docs spreadsheets or tables, which make it easier to see at a glance.
    b) trackitt.com has a database of application, showing timelines. While it is a great resource, it is important to note that it is only a sample of some application, and some people don't update their timelines often (or at all).

Bonne chance!

Reactions: Indian Voyager!

mawin

Nov 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
helpful information to all of you.
I do appreciate on your valuest information for sharing.

pjcanada

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2012
AOR Received.
01-08-2012
Med's Request
26-03-2013
Med's Done....
27-03-2013
Passport Req..
09-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2013
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Great work Seton....also congratulations on becoming Permanent Resident.

pmpm

Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-10-2013; 25-11-2013 medicals received
Passport Req..
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-07-2014
Congrats Seton

Very well composed :)

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Congrats seton and good read. I usually skim through long posts but actually read this to the end. :) We need a "thumbs up" emoticon.

whymeee

Apr 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seton said:
b) Obtain an opinion from the HRSDC for your NOC code based on the wording of your reference letter (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/ContactUs.aspx) - include their response with your application. This will help the Visa Officer in his assessment.
I understand that any applications received after May 3rd will be assessed based on NOC 2011, yet whoever over at HRSDC replied to my email said the following:
Please note that this code is from the NOC 2006 version as many departments (such as Citizenship and Immigration Canada) and organizations will continue to use the 2006 version for the next few years.
Should I still print out the email and send it along with my application?

Thanks for the tips. :)

mnjdev

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2012
Doc's Request.
Biodata form on 13th march
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
IELTS Request
sent along with application
File Transfer...
RPRF requested on 1st March
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
28-04-2013
Good job man
+1 for u

jensaus

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Australia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 15, 2013
AOR Received.
July 10, 2013
Med's Request
February 1, 2014
Med's Done....
February 4 & 6, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not required
In regards to point 3. Use update forms

We were just about to send the forms off and noticed that the form we have has 12-2012 at the bottom.

Have just downloaded another form and it has 04-2013.

So we are best to fill out the new form? That was lucky, so many things to think of. So annoying when you are waiting for documents and everything has already been filled out.

Thanks for the tips :)

seekr

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
Great job Seton.
It was a worthwhile read while I am still waiting on my MR to come; just to ensure I did everything right.
I am sure it will be a great guide to future applicants.

And congrats on attaining the PR status!

rosty2

Jul 5, 2012
Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 8th 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Oct 25th
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
March 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
March 4th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 17th 2013
LANDED..........
April 21st 2013
I totally agree with you Seton, this should even be a masterthread always on top of other threads. Congrats Seton